Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AOL Users...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a fan of AOL at all, but I get it for free with my Road Runner broadband account. I don't even know what my RR email is; I use hotmail for personal email and work email for biz, but since hotmail wasn't allowed at registration I used my AOL email.

After the last week or so I stopped getting notifications from FL. I checked and did not have any spam blocks or filters set. I then forgot my password and after four tries of filling out the "forgotten password" option I never received the password email. The helpful management here reset my password for me and manually emailed it to me which I got. Thank you! I have since changed my email to non-AOL and get FL emails again.

My question is, are any other AOL users having issues?

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
My friend Kathryn has AOL and just last night was talking about how she forgot her password, and she wasnt getting any reset password emails.
I think she said she emailed MK about it, but I dont know if it got resolved.

-Jess

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
AOL.....

......is bad news. I fully expect them to lose market share big time. They will have to change or die. They did two things that gave them popularity:

1) Like a slut, they flung themselves out there for free to anyone who would have them. I received countless discs in the 90's with hundreds of free minutes if I would just join.

2) They popularized "instant messaging".

Almost all ISPs offer unlimed time per month now and there instant messaging can be had by all. That combined with being a losey ISP....

Can you tell I don't like America On Hold....I mean online...sort of?:p

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
......is bad news. I fully expect them to lose market share big time. They will have to change or die. They did two things that gave them popularity:

1) Like a slut, they flung themselves out there for free to anyone who would have them. I received countless discs in the 90's with hundreds of free minutes if I would just join.

2) They popularized "instant messaging".

Almost all ISPs offer unlimed time per month now and there instant messaging can be had by all. That combined with being a losey ISP....

Can you tell I don't like America On Hold....I mean online...sort of?:p

I have to disagree about the slutty thing. It's more like stalking. lol I always threw away those dics. Then when I found out I got AOL free with RR I installed it because of AOL/XM radio which I love. Lots of Big Band/Jazz/40's and 50's stations! But for email they are rubbish!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yahoo!

"I've got the slut myself!!! maybe some of my comp problems are through them then? hmm...what then is a good internet provider?"

:) Yahoo has a great free "radio" thing that you can even program to play whatever you want it to, and DSL is like,...13 bucks right now through them. I use Netzero which ain't too shabby, and not too expensive either.

(Anything is better than AOL!) :mad:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
AOL is the Devil's ISP.

My best friend had it for a while, but after years of shoddy service she'd *really* had it, and tried to cancel. And they wouldn't *let* her cancel. Now, she's deaf, and can't use a telephone, so after trying over and over to email them and get them to close her account and stop sending bills, she had me call them on her behalf. I ended up getting the runaround, literally, for *hours* one afternoon, bouncing from office to office, and I finally lost it -- and using my most forceful Scary Investigative Reporter voice, I ended up reducing some poor goof of a Customer Service Representative to a mass of jelly. And finally, they agreed to close the account.

Moral of the story is simple -- AOL is like Chicken Pox. It's real easy to get, but it's a real pain once you've got it, and it's a horror to get rid of.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
AOL is the Devil's ISP.

My best friend had it for a while, but after years of shoddy service she'd *really* had it, and tried to cancel. And they wouldn't *let* her cancel. Now, she's deaf, and can't use a telephone, so after trying over and over to email them and get them to close her account and stop sending bills, she had me call them on her behalf. I ended up getting the runaround, literally, for *hours* one afternoon, bouncing from office to office, and I finally lost it -- and using my most forceful Scary Investigative Reporter voice, I ended up reducing some poor goof of a Customer Service Representative to a mass of jelly. And finally, they agreed to close the account.

Moral of the story is simple -- AOL is like Chicken Pox. It's real easy to get, but it's a real pain once you've got it, and it's a horror to get rid of.

You have to change your identity and move to another part of the world to lose AOL! :eusa_doh:

Dalexs

Practically Family
AOL has a terrible track record of blocking and bouncing mail from forums like this.
Over on Club Obi Wan (COW) we warn people up front that if they're registereing with AOL, they may have problems.

I used to collect the disks, along with ATT Worldnet ones, for use as drink coasters.
I knew an ad agency guy in Portland who had 2 entire walls in his office basically wall papered with the things. Unbelievable! :eek:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
This gives me an idea.

Dalexs said:
AOL has a terrible track record of blocking and bouncing mail from forums like this.
Over on Club Obi Wan (COW) we warn people up front that if they're registereing with AOL, they may have problems.

I used to collect the disks, along with ATT Worldnet ones, for use as drink coasters.
I knew an ad agency guy in Portland who had 2 entire walls in his office basically wall papered with the things. Unbelievable! :eek:

If one could collect all those unwanted AOL discs for say, a year,....I wonder what one could build from them? A small house, perhaps?

Grimstar

Familiar Face
New!! Improved!!

That's right...the new and improved AOL. Now, not only with spam blocker and spyware stopper...but the new and improved AOL 'net blocker and web stopper. Just sign up for our free lifetime trial today and you too will never have to worry about all those annoying informative websites out there. With the new 'net blocker and web stopper you can surf safely, knowing that you'll never have to see anything other than the sites of our choice. With AOL, your privacy is insured...as you'll never see the emails from everyone we sell your info to. Remember, AOL is your friend...you will be assimilated...resistance is futile. :p

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

It's surprising the number of bona-fide geeks here who have AOL. I thought the only people who still had AOL were grannies who couldn't figure out how to change their email address.
Kind of surprising they're still in business at all. Who'd want all that mess on the screen?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
It's surprising the number of bona-fide geeks here who have AOL. I thought the only people who still had AOL were grannies who couldn't figure out how to change their email address.
Kind of surprising they're still in business at all. Who'd want all that mess on the screen?

There you go calling me granny again. :rage: ;) (I know, I know, you weren't directing that at me.)

As I've stated, I only used it for FL email and free XM radio. But there is a third, very geeky reason. As a webmaster I need to see how my sites look in all browsers. I use Firefox, but AOL scrunches things together so what may look great in FF and IE can look like rubbish on AOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy