Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparel Arts v1.2 Spring 1932

Thanks. Wish I had a folio sized scanner, rather than having to scan half pages and reconstitute the whole pages afterwards. It does introduce the weirdest colour variations that need to be dealt with page-by-page … I think I'm going to buy a large format scanner for the remaining issues.

You're klling me, Baron! That's some incredible work. Thank you so much for all the effort you put into this! :)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jus browsed through this pages again. So amazing. Every time you see something new.

Inspired to do some more scanning myself... My german mags are less colorful though. Big part of the fun.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I'm fascinated by this balloon seller. The very character had appeared in 1931 in Fritz Lang's "M", and was the agent of identification of Peter Lorre's child-killer character.
An American publication could be forgiven the association - M wasn't shown in the U.S. till 1933, when The New York Times reviewed it.

It is regrettable that such a wealth of talent and imaginative direction was not put into some other story, for the actions of this Murderer, even though they are left to the imagination are too hideous to contemplate.
—Mordaunt Hall, NYT, April 3, 1933.

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I would suggest, that white shirts were as they have always been, the key-note of the gentleman's wardrobe, and a sign of affluence. Because of this, just as the majority of professionals and gentlemen who wear suits now, predominantly wear white shirts, I would suggest that back then, they likewise did, but that because of the demand for those white shirts, they are a rarity now. If something was in continual demand and worn frequently and worn out, wouldn't it be harder to find now in the remaining items, the record as it were? Just hypothesizing here.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
i think white is the least vintage-evocative shirt colour going. when i worked at Cenci (when they were on Monmouth St) they always had a plentiful stock of european 30s-40s shirts and white ones were very rare, far outweighed by the subtle coloured and fancy woven-striped variety. even in plain colours, light tan seemed to be more popular than white.

I would suggest, that white shirts were as they have always been, the key-note of the gentleman's wardrobe, and a sign of affluence. Because of this, just as the majority of professionals and gentlemen who wear suits now, predominantly wear white shirts, I would suggest that back then, they likewise did, but that because of the demand for those white shirts, they are a rarity now. If something was in continual demand and worn frequently and worn out, wouldn't it be harder to find now in the remaining items, the record as it were? Just hypothesizing here.

I suspect the fact of the matter lies somewhere in between. Then as now, store displays and advertisements are full of colored and patterned shirts, but the majority of shirts bought were (are) plain white ones. The reason for this is their neutrality lends itself to versatility -- a white shirt may not always be the best choice but it is rarely the wrong choice. I suspect most men are not that sartorially conscious and appreciate that simplicity.

That said, based on observations made form black and white photos and films, I believe people tend to assume clothes were much more muted than they actually were. When I was first introduced to Apparel Arts, the shirt ads showing rainbows of colors and crazy patterns floored me!

Are vintage white shirts a rarity? I found tons of them in the US.

I've always found causal shirts more common that proper dress shirts. But among vintage dress shirts, I find white ones much more often than I do colored or patterned ones.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AA1-2Pg115-AlbertRichardLeathers.jpg
I wonder how this leather jacket would be reviewed in the FL outerwear forum ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner