Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparently, straw hats don't have snap brims

EggHead

Practically Family
Can anyone shed some light re. the size/dimension differences between the the (sale) Cuenca models: Cabellero, Cuencano, and Teardrop?

http://panamas.biz/specials.html

From what I've read, PB brims are not different between models, they may be different between years of make. I asked for a shorter brim, if one was available - I got 2 1/2", which is fine with me. They usually run about 2 3/4".

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone shed some light re. the size/dimension differences between the the (sale) Cuenca models: Cabellero, Cuencano, and Teardrop?

http://panamas.biz/specials.html

Check out post #16 in the "Which Panama" thread. I give a pic of the Cuenca Brisa weave sale Cabalero creased hat and dimensions of mine. As for the others, you'll need to contact Bob about them :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Does anybody have pics of Natural, White and Brown colors for Panama Bob's hats?

Jef
I will have the natural and white of the same model in a few weeks and will post them for comparison. Hopefully, someone will be able to oblige before that.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Thanks EggHead and Monbla. I dropped Bob an email. I may order one of the sale hats if he gets back to me. In the meantime, I have a fawn Akubra Capricorn now and a grey Capricorn and cream Rink on order with Sam at EA. Should be here in time for summer and the brims on these polypropylene hats do snap up.

Strange, here in the throes of winter and I am thinking about summer hats!

Cricket

Practically Family
I know this may be off topic but after looking at all these posts I have gotten in the mood for warmer temps. Of course, with the recent colder temps down here this season, I was already begging for spring and summer. Now these great hat pics and discussions have me really ready.

I am also ready to see some pics of these hats in action from the gentlemen when the time comes. Great photos!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Does anybody have pics of Natural, White and Brown colors for Panama Bob's hats?

Jef

Here's my brown one that arrived today. The box is a bit small for the hat so the brim is an interesting shape. I'm sure that sitting it flat for a while then using some steam will get it right.

When I ordered there was a $2 discount off the $9.99 price so not bad at all.

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics, the colour is pretty close to the real hat though.

1175868188_yzpkx-L.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Jef

Here is one of his sale Cuenca's I just got. It's the Cabelero crease model and as you can see it is bleached white. The bleaching is typical on MOST of the Cuenca produced hats.

1-30-11007.jpg

Here is the natural un bleached color on a Montecristi which is TYPICAl of just about ALL Montecristi's I've seen or bought.

P8220019.jpg

and now Onward thru the ICE :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is one of his sale Cuenca's I just got. It's the Cabelero crease model and as you can see it is bleached white. The bleaching is typical on MOST of the Cuenca produced hats.

1-30-11007.jpg

Here is the natural un bleached color on a Montecristi which is TYPICAl of just about ALL Montecristi's I've seen or bought.

P8220019.jpg

and now Onward thru the ICE :)

Nice. I've got to increase my inventory of Montecristis. I envy that guy who's traveling to Ecuador. I'd love to rummage around the local sites there hat-buying. It would be like antiquing here in the U.S., only more rewarding.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Nice. I've got to increase my inventory of Montecristis. I envy that guy who's traveling to Ecuador. I'd love to rummage around the local sites there hat-buying. It would be like antiquing here in the U.S., only more rewarding.

I'm going to get another Semi-Calado Montecristi in the Gambler style from Bob when he get's one in. Will probably send it to Gus Miller to get blocked and finished. I really like the combination of lace like weaving with the fine smooth finish of the solid parts of the Montecristi's as well as the color. Panama's are my FAVORITE hats. 'Course it helps living in a normally warmer climate as well !!

Onward thru the ICE :)

danofarlington

I'm going to get another Semi-Calado Montecristi in the Gambler style from Bob when he get's one in. Will probably send it to Gus Miller to get blocked and finished. I really like the combination of lace like weaving with the fine smooth finish of the solid parts of the Montecristi's as well as the color. Panama's are my FAVORITE hats. 'Course it helps living in a normally warmer climate as well !!

Onward thru the ICE :)

A Panama, which I bought while in Ecuador in 1986, was my first hat, a pretty high-quality one for $50. I'd like to keep going with those, although they can get expensive. Actually the longer that other people go without getting one, the more I like it, because then me wearing one is distinctive rather than commonplace.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
A Panama, which I bought while in Ecuador in 1986, was my first hat, a pretty high-quality one for $50. I'd like to keep going with those, although they can get expensive. Actually the longer that other people go without getting one, the more I like it, because then me wearing one is distinctive rather than commonplace.

The really sad part of Panama's is the fact that there are getting to be FEWER weavers of the hats, particularly GOOD weavers so there are getting to be FEWER good hats available and the prices for the GOOD ones will definately go UP in the probable future :)

danofarlington

The really sad part of Panama's is the fact that there are getting to be FEWER weavers of the hats, particularly GOOD weavers so there are getting to be FEWER good hats available and the prices for the GOOD ones will definately go UP in the probable future :)

Yes, but I am calculating that more money per hat will call new people into the profession. They all need jobs down there, except that weaving hats is extremely tedious work, executable only by women, apparently. But if enough money were in it, I would think some of the people who ordinarily hate tedious work might start to get interested in it. I am sure this will be true. Higher prices will be part of the equation though.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I hate looking in on these threads! :)

T Rick, I've sent you a couple of emails....please respond.

Sorry about the brim DJH, just trying to keep prices down as much as possible. You can iron it out.

Jedwbpm, happy to answer any questions via email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn