Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparently, straw hats don't have snap brims

fmw

One Too Many
.....or at least cheap ones don't. In my attempts to lure warmer weather to the Midwest by getting my hats ready, I worked on this cheapie today. The brim was turned up all the way around and there was no way to get the front of the brim down. So I applied some water, turned it down and dried it with a hair drier. I think it worked out OK.

panamafedora.jpg

.....or at least cheap ones don't. In my attempts to lure warmer weather to the Midwest by getting my hats ready, I worked on this cheapie today. The brim was turned up all the way around and there was no way to get the front of the brim down. So I applied some water, turned it down and dried it with a hair drier. I think it worked out OK.

panamafedora.jpg

Sir,

I wish you the best with your attempt, but based on what I am seeing in the weather forecast, warm weather is not in our immediate future.
On the other hand, I think you did OK with the hat.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

panamafedora.jpg

I think it looks great. I have to start looking for my 2011 summer straws as well. Hopefully I can add to the "warm weather" cause to lure warm weather to the Midwest.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great, you did a good job.:eusa_clap I have a few panama hats and some are easier to “train” then others. The more difficult ones I took into the bathroom when I had a shower to steam them up a little. Man handle them and let them cool. If that didn’t work I did it again till it behaved itself. So you are not alone, Some hats just have a mind of there own.:D
Johnny

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think I'll be doing the exact same thing soon with one of the cheapo special Panama Bob hats.

Like you, I'm hoping that the arrival of a summer hat will bring us some warmer weather. If that doesn't work, I'll have to bring in Mr Gore!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

panamafedora.jpg

fmw,
Your brim looks good. If you want MORE snap, Panamas respond WELL to LOTS OF STEAM, but NOT water. After wearing Panamas for almost 30 years now, water is really NOT a Panama's true friend. Get them too wet and the fibers in the straw swell and will cause the brim to get really wonky :) I've relied on mainly some steam at the start of the season when I take them out of their boxes and the rest comes from handleing and wear :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok this is kind of related to this post but I have been looking for my first spring/summer hat purchase and was wondering if there was a good place to buy a few panama type hats for cheap?

T Rick

Practically Family
Ok this is kind of related to this post but I have been looking for my first spring/summer hat purchase and was wondering if there was a good place to buy a few panama type hats for cheap?
Have a look at Panama Bob's site here, and click on the discounted hats in stock link at the top of the page. At around ten bucks (plus more than double that for shipping), I don't think it gets any cheaper. About to order my first, many here are familiar with and references for him.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Have a look at Panama Bob's site here, and click on the discounted hats in stock link at the top of the page. At around ten bucks (plus more than double that for shipping), I don't think it gets any cheaper. About to order my first, many here are familiar with and references for him.
Thank you but the shipping is just way too much for me

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

'Fraid you WILL NOT find the quality of Panama for $30.00 as Panama Bob is selling. If $30.00 is TOO MUCH for what others sell for almost double that or MORE then DON'T get a Panama :) That shipping price he charges is the SAME no matter what level of hat you buy from him and having bought 8 hats from PB over the past 2 years, it is NOT all that high :) I have NEVER had a hat arrive in bad shape and usually get them within 2/3 days from his shipping them. Good luck finding BETTER quality for CHEAPER cost :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

EggHead

Practically Family
* Good job on the brim!

* $32 total cost for a decent panama is a good price. I have one from PB and it's a little better than what I bought locally for $55 + tax.

* As far as weather is concerned.. I was wearing PB panama last week, but this week is colder :)

T Rick

Practically Family

Well, I'll let you know if I hear of anyone giving them away then... :rolleyes:

BTW, I ordered two. One each white and natural (trouble deciding which color to try), both Cuencano's, as pictured below (image copied from Panama Bob's site, I presume this is the example to show the block, which I quite like), though I suspect these are not the $10 weaves, I'd expect they may be a bit coarser. Still, should be great from what I've heard, and a real bargain on a no BS genuine Panama hat, direct from Ecuador. Couldn't see how I could go wrong really.

Cuenca.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'll let you know if I hear of anyone giving them away then... :rolleyes:

BTW, I ordered two. One each white and natural (trouble deciding which color to try), both Cuencano's, as pictured below (image copied from Panama Bob's site, I presume this is the example to show the block, which I quite like), though I suspect these are not the $10 weaves, I'd expect they may be a bit coarser. Still, should be great from what I've heard, and a real bargain on a no BS genuine Panama hat, direct from Ecuador. Couldn't see how I could go wrong really.

Here's one of the sale Cabeleros creased Cuencas to give you an idea of the weave quality. They are what is called Brisa weaves, not the Llano as PB uses to illustrate the creases on his site. DAMN GOOD hats IMHO :)

1-30-11009.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here's one of the sale Cabeleros creased Cuencas to give you an idea of the weave quality. They are what is called Brisa weaves, not the Llano as PB uses to illustrate the creases on his site. DAMN GOOD hats IMHO :)

1-30-11009.jpg

I have not seen a better value for Panama hats. I own 4 of his.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
FMW: What you need to do is go out tomorrow morning and see if you can see your shadow from under the brim. I believe tomorrow is Hat Hog's Day, right?

fmw

One Too Many
FMW: What you need to do is go out tomorrow morning and see if you can see your shadow from under the brim. I believe tomorrow is Hat Hog's Day, right?

Shoot. I thought it was today. No shadow tomorrow. Just snow.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Optimo 300wpsi natural

panamaboboptimo.jpg

Something he sold on e-bay 150wpsi natural

panamabob.jpg

both with a little mileage on them.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Hey all, thanks for the Panama Bob link. Fantastic price for great looking hats. Local hat shop to me sells Baileys for about 35 and not near as nice as what I see here. I'll be ordering one (or more) soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn