Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple Spirits

filfoster

One Too Many
Long distance Calvados run

Boodles said:
The state run stores in North Carolina, NC ABC, list Calvados Christian Drouin, 80 proof, .75L, @ $32.95, in the imported brandy section. The Laird Applejack, which is made in the USA, is available here in .75L @ $14.95 for the 80 octane and $16.95 for the 100 (High test).

The Total Wine stores in NC are not permitted to sell liquor at all. Those type stores are beer and wine only.

My younger daughter is a Gamecock, so we can stop in NC on our next trip to Columbia if I can't find this stuff around here in OH, Northern KY.

dnjan

One Too Many
St.Ignatz said:
My Grandfather and his brother would always make home made wine. In the fall they would take fresh apples,press them in the grape press and make hard cider. Come the coldest part of winter they would put the hard cider in a small wooden keg on a rack in the the middle of the back yard and as it would freeze turning gently the alcohol would concentrate in the center. They would then bore a hole through the bung hole in the barrels end and draw off the apple liquor. No distillation so no risk of blindness etc. Those days and gentlemen are long gone but it remains one of my favorite family story's.
Tom D.
I've read about (but not tasted) batches in which sugar was added to the apples to achieve higher alcohol levels. Then the barrel was put outside for freeze-distallation. Supposedly yielded some nasty hangovers ...

Boodles

A-List Customer
If you are headed to Columbia SC

If you are headed to Columbia from Cinci, using I-77, a good choice for you would be to stop at Frugal MacDoogal just inside SC at the Carowinds exit. You can see the store from the interstate, it's on the right. Take the right off I-77 just as if you are going to Carowinds but instead you can take the dinky road on the right just before you get to the Carowinds entrance road. If you miss the first road on the right then take the Carowinds entrance road and take another right into MacDoogals. It takes longer to write this than to do it as it's only about 2 city blocks off the interstate and it's an easy off and easy return to the I-77 slab. White building, green up top. MacDoogal has way, way more stuff than any NC ABC and it's almost always a bit less expensive. SC stores are state controlled but are privately owned whereas NC has state owned stores.

filfoster said:
My younger daughter is a Gamecock, so we can stop in NC on our next trip to Columbia if I can't find this stuff around here in OH, Northern KY.

filfoster

One Too Many
Calvados runnings

Boodles said:
If you are headed to Columbia from Cinci, using I-77, a good choice for you would be to stop at Frugal MacDoogal just inside SC at the Carowinds exit. You can see the store from the interstate, it's on the right. Take the right off I-77 just as if you are going to Carowinds but instead you can take the dinky road on the right just before you get to the Carowinds entrance road. If you miss the first road on the right then take the Carowinds entrance road and take another right into MacDoogals. It takes longer to write this than to do it as it's only about 2 city blocks off the interstate and it's an easy off and easy return to the I-77 slab. White building, green up top. MacDoogal has way, way more stuff than any NC ABC and it's almost always a bit less expensive. SC stores are state controlled but are privately owned whereas NC has state owned stores.

Thanks! We don't usually go I-77 but since I-40's had the two rockslides, I'm not sure what route we'll have to go this spring. I will print out your directions and hope I can use them.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Calvados in NC or SC

I understand. Lets talk again close to the time you go to Columbia. Maybe I can find a dealer for you in NC or SC close to the road you take.

I-40 is bombed out. I hope it can be repaired soon.

filfoster said:
Thanks! We don't usually go I-77 but since I-40's had the two rockslides, I'm not sure what route we'll have to go this spring. I will print out your directions and hope I can use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff