Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple Spirits

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi all.
Im curious to expand my palette with different spirits created with or infused with apple.
Please list your favorites, history if you know it, and what is the best way to use them in cocktails :)

LD

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I really enjoy Calvados. It just perfumes the room with the aroma of apples. Make sure you get a good quality one as some of the cheaper ones are a little rough.;)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
My Grandfather and his brother would always make home made wine. In the fall they would take fresh apples,press them in the grape press and make hard cider. Come the coldest part of winter they would put the hard cider in a small wooden keg on a rack in the the middle of the back yard and as it would freeze turning gently the alcohol would concentrate in the center. They would then bore a hole through the bung hole in the barrels end and draw off the apple liquor. No distillation so no risk of blindness etc. Those days and gentlemen are long gone but it remains one of my favorite family story's.
Tom D.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Greyfox said:
I really enjoy Calvados. It just perfumes the room with the aroma of apples. Make sure you get a good quality one as some of the cheaper ones are a little rough.;)
I had my Calvados for le trou Normand for these past holiday meals.:)

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
I've never had calvados, but I've read of it historically, particularly as it pertained to G.I.'s landing in Normandy.

If there is a distillery or other source that puts up a quality calvados, would someone mind posting it?

As an aside, I used to put up hard cider in a 55 gal. oak cask in the Fall. Quite traditional actually.

I sort of liked this on multiple levels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWo92UqDa0s

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Id head about this company, but haven't tried any of their spirits.
How are they? :D

LD

Quite excellent, but not for the faint-hearted. As I recall Laird's Applejack is in the 80-proof range - hence it being known as "Jersey Lightning." In my opinion, very similar to many fine bourbons, but much smoother. I always keep a bottle on hand...very nice over ice as a sipping drink.

filfoster

One Too Many
Calvados: Band of hung over brothers

St.Ignatz said:
I've found it in the PA State Store system and in Delaware at Total Wines. I'm not sure how far TW has expanded but a liquor store in a trendy or upscale area should carry.
Tom D.
Tom: Thanks. We have a mega-party supply place here ("The Party Source", or as my wife calls it, her 'widow maker'). I will check there. Can't resist trying something I've read so much about and has so many WWII GI testimonials!

Boodles

A-List Customer
Calvados

The state run stores in North Carolina, NC ABC, list Calvados Christian Drouin, 80 proof, .75L, @ $32.95, in the imported brandy section. The Laird Applejack, which is made in the USA, is available here in .75L @ $14.95 for the 80 octane and $16.95 for the 100 (High test).

The Total Wine stores in NC are not permitted to sell liquor at all. Those type stores are beer and wine only.

filfoster said:
Tom: Thanks. We have a mega-party supply place here ("The Party Source", or as my wife calls it, her 'widow maker'). I will check there. Can't resist trying something I've read so much about and has so many WWII GI testimonials!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace