Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate photographer wear?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
an example of the arm brassard mentioned earlier.
AS if carrying around that huge camera wasnt enuff....

2507806458_e4a1d52a46.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
Sorry, the woman in the poster!

The helmeted woman is a civilian correspondent.

Yeah, sorry to mislead, but its poster for an army job for photographers. Not necessarily a job working for Stars&Stripes, she could end up taking ID photos.

Theres the trick in doing a photog impression at a reenactment, you could be a accredited photog in uniform working for LIFE, or you could be an enlisted man working for YANK. Yank was supposed to be only enlisted men, if you were promoted to officer, you'd probably be transferred to Stars&Stripes.

And then there were the Hollywood pros such as director GeorgeStevens who were asked by Eisenhower to enlist & work as Historical units documenting the war. Most of the color footage of the ETO that we now see in documentaries are kodachromes taken by Stevens. There are some documentaries on his story w/ great shots of the boys sewing on the official war photog patches.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162344/

btw theres a tv documentary that came out in 2000, narrated by TomHanks.
Both ETO & PTO combat photographers:
Shooting War
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250730/
Its excellent. Unfortunately tom hanks has a huge hillbilly beard as he was about to shoot CASTAWAY.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Re-enacted Ernie Pyle

A friend's portrayal here in England in 2004.

My photos taken with my 1938 Zeiss Ikon Contax II, 5cm f1.5 Carl Zeiss Sonnar (uncoated):

ErniePyle800.jpg

BattleErniePyle800.jpg

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
A perfect opportunity to go Adventurer!
I'd say you couldn't wear a uniform if you're going to photograph both sides, so period civvies would be the thing for me.

CombatCam

New in Town
Well, everyone, the weekend has come and gone, and the event was a TON of fun! Sunday was canceled due to impending rain storms, but Saturday was a great time, with beautiful weather to boot! There were Germans a-plenty, lots of Americans and Brits, a few Russians, a few French, a few Japanese, and a lone Italian.

As far as photos, that was also a big success. I'll post the link to the gallery in a more on-topic thread.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas and photos with me!

Eyemo

Practically Family
Hi Combat Cam,
If you need to develope (errhh..sorry):eek: your impression I can help, This is what I'm most interested in and collect...and have also done the odd TV/Film production as this caricature...

Best,
Seimon.

Eyemo

Practically Family
MrBern said:
an example of the arm brassard mentioned earlier.
AS if carrying around that huge camera wasnt enuff....

2507806458_e4a1d52a46.jpg

Hia,
Even though this Guys Holding an Anniversary Speed Graphic (My screens a bit dark, but it looks like a WWII perod SP),this picture was probably taken in the 50s/60s...WWII armbands were blue with the single letter P.
:)

Eyemo

Practically Family
Correspondent for CondeNast, Lee Miller in a VERY rare "photographer" helmet.
2495104001_8bfcd89e81.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I was chatting with Antony Penrose (Lee Millers son) a few weeks back.. They didn't think that this rare "photographers Helmet" was hers and belonged to a Movie Guy who just loaned it for this shot. I can see that being possible as it would be no use when using a Rollie.

Johnny B

Familiar Face
CombatCam said:
Well, everyone, the weekend has come and gone, and the event was a TON of fun! Sunday was canceled due to impending rain storms, but Saturday was a great time, with beautiful weather to boot! There were Germans a-plenty, lots of Americans and Brits, a few Russians, a few French, a few Japanese, and a lone Italian.

As far as photos, that was also a big success. I'll post the link to the gallery in a more on-topic thread.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas and photos with me!

they cancelled the war due to possibility of rain?

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Weather cancellation

The event was cancelled on the Sunday because a big storm hit early in the morning severly damaging several people's tents and more sever storms were predicted later for the day. The event was cancelled by the people that ran the park because they feared liability with lightning and what not.

Scott

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Rain on the last day is very irritating. Although we were portraying CBI last weekend in Geneseo and don't mind monsoons on all days except setup and tear-down, rain on Sunday is not good for us. The tents get packed up in the rain which means that some of us who could be working or otherwise occupied with our time on Monday got to unpack the tents, let them bake in the sun then repack them again. Easy with a shelter half, little more involved with a GP Medium. Which by the way we use the Walmart Parking lot for that purpose. It was a 2 hour drive to West Virginia to the persons house where we store the equipment to do the deed. Had it not rained on us on Sunday it would have been no problem. Friday and Saturday? Rain? I say bring it on. What's India without a little rain!

Matt

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Eyemo said:

I was chatting with Antony Penrose (Lee Millers son) a few weeks back.. They didn't think that this rare "photographers Helmet" was hers and belonged to a Movie Guy who just loaned it for this shot. I can see that being possible as it would be no use when using a Rollie.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it was a prototype photographer helmet that never went into production. The dark vents on th visor were some sort of joke, painted on to look like a medieval knight's helmet. A few years ago soemone in europe tried to reproduce this helmet & sell on ebay. Bidding did not go well.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fred Bornet

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1914938

bornet140.jpg

All Things Considered, May 31, 2004 · Already a seasoned journalist and playwright, Fred Bornet came to the United States in 1939 from his native Belgium. Two years later he was drafted into the U.S. Army. He served as a combat cameraman, making war-front movies in Italy, France and finally, Germany. Bornet carried with him small black books in which he kept a journal. Now 89 and an artist living in New York City, he reads excerpts from his World War II journals.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Eyemo said:

I was chatting with Antony Penrose (Lee Millers son) a few weeks back.. They didn't think that this rare "photographers Helmet" was hers and belonged to a Movie Guy who just loaned it for this shot. I can see that being possible as it would be no use when using a Rollie.[/QUOTE]

I read a book about Lee Miller a few years ago and apparently she was scolded by a commander or general for taking off her helmet while shooting. The helmet would get in the way of the chimney finder of her Rollei. A lot of people like to flip out the little magnifier in the chimney and then press their eye against the whole contraption, so you can frame the camera as if it had a real eyepiece. I do this all the time with my Rolleiflex and a helmet could be a problem. In any case apparently this was a specially modified helmet that was made for her, perhaps by someone in the field. I can't remember if it was as a joke or for real. Notice the painted slits on the visor that resemble those on a knights helmet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy