Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are shoe trees necessary for dress boots and dress shoes/loafers?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Can anyone give some input on this? I have both a pair of YSL dress boots(Wyatt harness boots), and a Gucci boot with horsebit detail; and recently purchased a loafer from Gucci as well(Jordaan). I've seen this topic come up a lot, but wasn't sure what the general definitive answer was. Do you need shoe trees for these dress boots type shoes, and for loafers and dress shoes, or are they really not necessary? Would it ruin these shoes not to use them? I use them for my western boots, but are they needed for dress boots and loafers/dress shoes?

Also any particular brand of shoe tree that you'd say is the best to use? I've been using Stratton cedar boot trees for my western boots, and they seem really good, but what about for dress boots or loafers and dress shoes? I've seen Woodlore mentioned a lot, are they any better?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why do you use them for your western boots?
And why do you think it makes a difference whether Western boots or dress shoes?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Why do you use them for your western boots?
And why do you think it makes a difference whether Western boots or dress shoes?
To maintain the shape of them, help with removing moisture, minimize creasing. People always mention that as the reasons to use them for western boots which is why I got them for those.

And I asked about dress shoes, as well as loafers because I wasn't sure if there was enough of a difference that maybe using shoe trees would not be as necessary.

MrProper

To maintain the shape of them, help with removing moisture, minimize creasing. People always mention that as the reasons to use them for western boots which is why I got them for those.
That's exactly how I would see it. What I was wondering is why you see it differently with dress shoes?
In my opinion, it makes much more sense for dress shoes than for western or work boots. Because unkempt dress shoes really don't look good, whereas boots look cool with creases etc.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
That's exactly how I would see it. What I was wondering is why you see it differently with dress shoes?
In my opinion, it makes much more sense for dress shoes than for western or work boots. Because unkempt dress shoes really don't look good, whereas boots look cool with creases etc.
I mainly just asked out of curiosity, particularly because I'll see so many arguments on this topic, with some even saying you don't need shoe trees at all, then the debates over split toe vs full toe, etc. Loafers I wasn't sure, since I've seen some claim they don't need them at all, while others say if they are leather loafers then they do need them.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Absolute ‚yes‘ on shoe trees for all shoes/boots unless you absolutely WANT that heavily creased look.

Creases accumulate dirt and trap moisture, so even with otherwise proper care you run the risk of eventual cracks in the leather.

As for model, I always go cheap. It should be wood, though as plastic doesn’t absorb the damp of worn shoes.

sweetfights

Mine are all cedar and I use them on all my leather shoes and boots with the exception of my engineer boots for riding my motorcycle. Cedar absorbs moisture and the tree maintains the shape. It is a small nuisance and cost to keep expensive footwear for decades.

Faux59

New in Town
That Jordaan is expensive! I would absolutely put cedar trees in those. The type or style of shoe doesn't matter any. Genuine leather shoes benefit from cedar trees.

I started buying Sapphire cedar trees but later found the same unbranded on Amazon for half the price. The only difference is Sapphire uses a pull loop where the unbranded has a knob. I have others from Nordstrom and the local shoe store. The brand doesn't matter very much just get the size right and try to find a shape that best resembles your shoe shape.

I mainly just asked out of curiosity, particularly because I'll see so many arguments on this topic, with some even saying you don't need shoe trees at all, then the debates over split toe vs full toe, etc. Loafers I wasn't sure, since I've seen some claim they don't need them at all, while others say if they are leather loafers then they do need them.
I use cedar shoe trees for all my dress shoes and boots. I have dress shoes that are over 30 years old that still look great and I attribute that to regular polishing and shoe trees. I pick them up on Ebay from China. The cheap chinese ones work just as well as the more expensive ones. Most of mine are the split style.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I only use shoe trees for dress shoes/boots. I prefer to have the creases actually be visible in my casual boots. I just make sure to rest my boots at least one day before wearing them again and I brush and clean them consistently.

cbez

One Too Many
not necessary at all imo

maybe if you are wearing very frequently and want to draw moisture out of them.

RockyR

New in Town
Not necessary... BUT... beneficial.

I have 4 x pairs of RM Williams and 1 x pair of loakes and have cedar trees for all of them.

As others have said, great for moisture, odour, keeping shape (and for stretching out tighter boots)... I use talcum powder with mine too.

Just remember to pull them both out in the morning (if it's before your coffee), otherwise you'll get the heart pumping thinking something sinister is in one of your boots.

Edward

Bartender
Never used them at all, myself, and never felt any particular need of them. That said, when I eventually dig out my patent oxfords that get worn with black tie (not worn that for some years now, as for one reason and another I've pulled out the kilt rig for such occasions mostly), I'll doubtless want a set for those, given how that particular finish wears.

For day to day 'dress' shoes, I'm particularly fond of a style with a high shine cap toe and a duller-finish, grained leather over the vamp which does, of course, prove much less prone to creasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner