Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there high quality thin leather jackets?

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
You may also want to check out Headwind Mfg. for more cape skin ideas.

+1 for Headwind Mfg. I had ordered a custom Aviatrix with capeskin for my wife. Even with the tartan wool liner, it feels lighter than her denim jacket.

However, if you want a jacket for warmer days, you probably don't want a jacket with wool knits, as they trap the heat in.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
+1 for Headwind Mfg. I had ordered a custom Aviatrix with capeskin for my wife. Even with the tartan wool liner, it feels lighter than her denim jacket.

However, if you want a jacket for warmer days, you probably don't want a jacket with wool knits, as they trap the heat in.
That is why my A-1 capeskin feels hotter.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I would say unlined goat, sheep seems to have tighter pore than goat or something that make them feel less breathy, but I live in the equatorial tropic, when all my jackets feels too hot, I grab the goat, wear it unlined, goat suede is super soft, and lightweight, not hot at all.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I would say unlined goat, sheep seems to have tighter pore than goat or something that make them feel less breathy, but I live in the equatorial tropic, when all my jackets feels too hot, I grab the goat, wear it unlined, goat suede is super soft, and lightweight, not hot at all.
Yeah same here. I’m at 22 degrees North.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thedi has sheepskin / capeskin as an option.

7BA666D3-4D5C-4591-A6F7-9B5797E549AE.jpeg
99975410-23F2-471B-B5BC-A3D63F7EA03C.jpeg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
An MTC-127920 with no shearling and a light weight lining in this leather may be on the horizon for me. That is if someone isn't selling a GW in my size.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Any Idea what weight this Capeskin is and how it compares to his goat? Which do you think would be better for a warmer climate?
I haven't handled Thedi's capeskin/sheepskin yet. His goat is pretty substantial (the one I've tried). As with any leather, one isn't the other. I currently own three sheepskin jackets, one is definitely a warmer weather jacket, another one is one of the thickest jackets I own.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
As has been implied earlier, I would have you check the lining carefully in that ever you choose. Any type of "poly fill" or "quilted" lining would be a quick deal breaker, no matter how thin the leather itself it. It kills off the breathability factor, and simply elevates your body core temp as it's insulation.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve got both the Eastman A-1 & their cape Hartmann. The A-1 is my summer go to being so light & the Hartmann more Spring / Autumn due to the heavier plaid lining but still a lightweight jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112