Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there jackets for camera parts/accessories?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Are there jackets available for carrying camera accessories, such as film, strobe, lenses, batteries, et al.? If there are, as I'm confident, please identify some current offerings and places to look for/at others.

Feraud

Bartender
I have seen them before but cannot remember exactly where...

Try Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. The outdoor stores usually have this kind of gear.

Jay

Practically Family
What about a standard safari jacket? I think the Adventurers Gear thread has some nice examples.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I saw a very interesting one at Gander Mountain the other week. It was a canvas jacket, with leather elbow patches and trim. It came with a travel/photographer style vest that zipped in as a lining. Gives you a jacket, vest, or jacket with many internal pockets, your choice. I wasn't really in the market for one, so I didn't pay too much attention to the pocket arrangement, it may have been set up more for airline tickets, passport, and iPod than film and lenses, but it might be worth checking out. I think it was priced about $130.00.

birddog

New in Town
There's an excellent WW2 uniform repro internet business called "At The Front" (Google it).

Look under U.S. items, Field Gear and Assult Vest.

The assult vest is a copy of those used in Normandy, as worn by Hanks & Co. in "Saving Private Ryan".

It has lots of large pockets, front & back that would more that suffice for your needs. It's made of canvas & there's no wimpy velcro or plastic that makes you look like a Africian safari tourist. I use mine with my pilot's flight suit as a survival vest with my Piper L4. No it wasn't official the, but troops did individualize their equipment. Another use I found is that it can increase the amount of carry on luggage on airlines. You're not carring it but wearing it.!

Keep in mind these vests were not popular with troops, as they are warm to wear in the summer. Also it's easy to see if someone steals it, as there's not many around.

The other item they sell that I find useful is the canvas medical bag. I've fitted mine with a canvas rifle sling & carry it like the Indiana Jone bag. Canvas doesn't get clammy & stain when you sweat, you don't look like every pencil neck trying to imitate I.J. & the bag is large enough to hold a standard size hardbound book. The closing strap is a good pickpocket deterrent as it requires two hands to open or a lot of single-handed fumbling.

Hope this helps,
Birddog

Bebop

Practically Family
Banana Republic

I am sure Adorama has photo jackets made by Domke available. www.adorama.com I bought a jacket at Banana Republic way back in 1990 or so, that has deep, wide pockets lots of small, handy pockets also. Has a roll up hood and zippered, removable sleeves that make it into a great summer photo vest. I still have it and it still holds my camera equiptment quite well today. I have seen them on ebay but I doubt Banana Republic would have them now since they cater to a different crowd today. BR used to be alot more like Orvis is now. They used to be a great travel clothing store before they were bought out. Orvis might have something like that also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats