Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shoes any good?

shortbow

Practically Family
Hiya folks, just ran into a pair of shoes at the thrift store and am looking for a bit of info.

I am not a suit and tie type, so I've never owned any flash footwear, but these look to be quality and have a real nice vintage vibe.

I think they are what you city fellers call "wingtips." The toe cap comes back into a point, aiming at the laces and then heads off along the shoe about half way. The leather is full of pierced decorations and looks like it was cut with pinking shears.

Brand name "Dacks", with writing in gold inside proclaiming 'imported calf' and 'bespoke quality.' The soles are leather and are marked 'Made in Canada and 'extra quality.' They are lined with a beautiful, soft leather, are really comfortable, hardly used and look and feel great. They are dark brown.

Paid the princely sum of $2.

Is this a quality name? Are they in fact 'wingtips'? How long has this style of shoe been around?

Thanks eh?

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Those sound like wing tips to me.

Dack's was a pretty well-respected Canadian brand (I think it's belly-up). The shoes were made in Canada until the Canadian factory closed, and then the company sold re-branded British shoes. Many details here.

Two bucks? If you like them, how could you go wrong?

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks for the reply Tooch. I read your link and found some other info also, they are colloquially called "longwings." Apparently a very good shoe, compared with the best American and British companies, sold for around $350-$400. They went bankrupt recently, the reason given was that they could not compete with the changing market where business guys are going more casual and at a much lower price point from over seas. One writer said 'for many years no banker in Canada wore anything but Dack's.' ;)

Anyhow, they are very nice shoes and I'm amazed at the comfort.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Longwings? Cool. I have a pair of Hanover longwings that I love. Wear them in good health!

And mourn the passing of yet another little bit of good quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot