Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a gentleman?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I would have to be less of a cynic to be a gentleman. Cynicism inhibits one's fair and generous nature, and makes self-centeredness inevitable. Until I can beat that, I'll have to be content to keep up appearances.

Rick

New in Town
The True Gentleman

"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good-will and an accute sense of propriety and whose self control is equal to ALL emergencies; who does not make the poor man concious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or ANY man of his inferiority or deformity; who is HIMSELF humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness BUT always with sincerity and sypathy: whose deed FOLLOWS his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in ANY company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue is safe."
-John Walter Waylen

I've memorized it and measure myself and others by it.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
avedwards said:
The class system no longer really exists in England. There are those who consider themselves middle class and will attempt to be better mannered (but it often comes accross as snobbish). But overall, I think the term gentlman can aply to anyone in England, as it depends on manners more than class.

I disagree that there is no longer a class system in England.

I came here from New Zealand nearly ten years ago and was actually shocked by how class ridden English people still are on a day to day basis. I also don't think that has changed in the time I've been here. It is too ingrained in the national psyche.

However, I agree a gentleman is not defined by his class. By his manners, shall ye know him. I am glad to know several.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
class

It's funny how people say 'classy' or 'you've got class' to mean style or stylish. Does money dictate 'taste'? Interesting how the New-Labour government hoped to convince people that there were no longer class divisions here(the UK). I think it was said by Tony Blair 'We're all middle class now'. I guess he meant well in his 'nice', ineffectual and self serving, typically English suburban middle class way.
The term 'gentleman' has been synonymous with aristocracy in England but has trickled down like their 'taste' to encompass the lower orders. Therefore, gentlemen can now be of the lower classes, though there are many many barriers to prevent them being aristocrats. Mainly, but certainly not solely, financial ones.
I think the Blairite government would have put 'gentlemen' and 'middle class' together. Those who look down, condescendingly, on the less fortunate and look up, with deference, at those who have more. Anyone speaking about the way in which the rich have got richer under his government while the poor got poorer was certainly guilty of ungentlemanly conduct.
Sorry if that was a bit of a rant. Certainly gentlemen do not rant.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Rick

New in Town
Thank you for the welcome and "if" is certainly similar.
Very good.
I find that if I receit the "TG" before a descision is made when I'm presented with a decision to make... It serves me well as a guide.
"If" could probably do the same.
More often than nought, I find myself short of either if I failed to mention it earlier.

Foofoogal

Banned
you guys are funny. lol

HoosierDaddy. That one is for all the ladies to keep on hand. Imagination can go a long way on that one. lol

The best thing I liked about Paris was the language. :eek:fftopic: I think I need to put my photos here of France from last year. Maybe you inspired me. Who is your avatar anyway?

Foofoogal said:
you guys are funny. lol

HoosierDaddy. That one is for all the ladies to keep on hand. Imagination can go a long way on that one. lol

The best thing I liked about Paris was the language. :eek:fftopic: I think I need to put my photos here of France from last year. Maybe you inspired me. Who is your avatar anyway?

My avatar? Gary Cooper. Possibly a true gentleman...or gentle man....or both. My Fathers lookalike...and actalike. Of course one of my favorites.
By all means...photos of France are always welcome...IMO. Beautiful country!
HD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Foofoogal said:
The best thing I liked about Paris was the language.
Really!?!? While I don't dislike the language, I like the food, architecture and women a whole lot more.[huh]

I dunno. I dated an exchange student from France(years ago). Certainly cute but when she spoke with that accent(especially saying my name)my gawd,man,I would almost lose my Gentlemanhood every time. Call it poetic,romantic,or just plain sexy...it could make a HoosierHick act just plain silly. When she spoke in fluid French....OMG. Maybe it was just me.
Oh yeah! Great food,too!
HD

WH1

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
I dunno. I dated an exchange student from France(years ago). Certainly cute but when she spoke with that accent(especially saying my name)my gawd,man,I would almost lose my Gentlemanhood every time. Call it poetic,romantic,or just plain sexy...it could make a HoosierHick act just plain silly. When she spoke in fluid French....OMG. Maybe it was just me.
Oh yeah! Great food,too!
HD

AND DON'T FORGET THE WINE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy