Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a gentleman?

Foofoogal

Banned
I added some photos to the Steamer thread. I actually was very disappointed with France. It is my mothers homeland originally and I was very excited to get to go. I didn't expect it to be so big and so crowded and quite dirty.
Not impressed by the Eiffel Tower but very glad I saw the Louvre. I might would go back for the Louvre but not for a long time. The subways I just was not used to.
The architecture was unreal though and why I took over 900 pictures. I look up when I go places as I find interesting stuff up. :) :eek:fftopic:
sorry, really off topic.

Left France and went to Germany. It was so clean. I did love Germany.
I had been to Scotland though and if I could pick one trip between France, Germany and Scotland it would definitely be Scotland. I don't think anyone can describe Scotland. You have to see it.

Foofoogal

Banned
They do that in Germany also. I tried real hard to find a dirty place and could not. Honey tells me it is because they got bombed so much during war and appreciate what it is they have. Charming place. Everyone rides bikes on paths built just for this and window boxes and flowers everywhere. I could actually move to Germany I think. My brother married a German woman and immaculate is an understatement. Your shoes come off when you step into this womans home. I don't care who you are.

Sepe

New in Town
This is a difficult question, as has been discussed before. But at least older ladies call me a gentleman for some reason, especially this seems to happen when I make a leap between the doors of an elevator to keep them from closing and thus allow the ladies to go inside. Even if I wasn't using the elevator myself.

Then again, I usually just laugh at the whole term and give them a "if you'd only know" smile.

But what is being a gentleman, then? Is it taking one's hat off when indoors and opening doors to ladies? I call those manners (the first one is personal comfort and hygiene too), that's all. What's for sure is that it cannot be defined by the person themselves, or well, it can and will, but they shouldn't say it aloud. Boasting I wouldn't call gentlemanly.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Clean is ... Switzerland.

True.

mJLCb11.jpg

Not sure, but I try--what I am beyond question, though, is a professional, and I place a lot of importance on conducting myself as such, which usually brings a number of "gentlemanly" qualities along for the ride.

Others may judge me how they will; as my grandfather would have said, "they're more fortunate than I--they can kiss my ... and I can't."

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
The best description of "what a Gentleman is" that I've heard is some who puts people at ease. - That kind of runs parallel to Oscar Wilde.

I think that to some there's a question as to whether a true Gentleman can ever call himself a Gentleman. - So in answer to the question:

I've been called a Gentleman on occasion.

That I'm happy with.

If you're asking what's a Lady just listen to the Tommy Dorsey song. (Or Frank Sinatra)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Clean is ... Switzerland. Townspeople go out at night and sweep their roads and sidewalks clean. Not that there's much to sweep!

An American friend since childhood married a German man and lives in Switzerland. She was always a very tidy woman about her surroundings, but she now spends hours daily (with two young sons) keeping things clean enough for Swiss visitors. "Once, I forgot to scrub the window slide tracks and got a serious stinkeye."

I have to have things clean, but there are also better things to do!

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've been called a gentleman, but that's mostly by young people who just think I'm a gentleman because I'm more polite than the average person around my age. I personally think I need to change several things before I'd be anything like a gentleman (including my cynicism and overuse of sarcasm).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy