Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you aware that I have not owned a Television for 5 years?

52Styleline

A-List Customer
And I thought I was the only person in the US who had never been to Vegas or watched American Idol....We should start a club....I know, we could have our annual meetings in Vegas...:p

TV for me is a tool to access what I choose to consume. Just as I don't read many of the books on the best seller lists, I don't watch the trendy shows. Seldom watch anything presented by one of the big three networks. Unfortunately the quality of programming on the History Channel and the Discovery Channel seem to be slipping and my cable provider does not carry TCM so there are many days in each week when I do not even turn on the tube. That allows me time to read, work in my shop or visit with friends. I also find I am spending less time on the net that I did a few years ago..

Hemingway Jones said:
I love television. I pick and choose what I watch, but it never ceases to amaze me. TCM is great; the History Channel is great; HBO has great series; even the networks are getting better. Also, I love the news channels and CBS Sunday Morning.

I pick and choose what I watch: "Rome," "House," "24," "Sunday Morning," and "The Sopranos" are the only shows I schedule myself for.

I see nothing wrong with anyone watching anything that they find enjoyable or enlightening. Life is too short to deny yourself simple and harmless pleasures. ;)

Geez, you TV experience is nearly the same as mine. :eusa_doh: :D

Hondo

One Too Many
Twitch said:
I'm with Hemingway on this one. I choose what I desire to watch instead of staring at much of the silly big 3 network stuff. With satellite I can see History Channel, Learning Channel and Discovery plus more of those types of, dare I say "educational," channels. I enjoy mindless escapism entertainment at times too. I have never watch any "reality" show though.

Had a recent conversation with an old friend who watches no TV and while we share much of the same interest in subject matter he was woefully ignorant of what was going on in the ever-changing scientific field and recent discoveries in history that was profiled on the above channels.

While I'm an advocate of books with about 1,000 in my library, up-to-date programs that cover myriad of subjects with the latest discoveries and updates inform those that wish to be informed. Books are expensive and some subjects become outdated quickly requiring more purchases and space. Talking to my old friend was like talking to Rip van Winkle as most of his knowledge was out of date as to scientific and acedemic theory, knowledge and insights.

He hasn't seen a classic movie in decades! I can't imagine not watching one once in awhile along with more recent movie fair on DVD.

I'll second that, TV is coming on less and less, mainly TCM and the rest as Twitch stated. TV is what I use for VCR/DVD's, major news reports (like my computer) and sports but not much, no situation series from NBC,CBS, ABC, that goes like wise with Fox and the rest. I sometimes leave on ESPN or the weather channel. There is an on and off switch.
Be the master of your own domain :)

ValleyBoy

Familiar Face
skwerl-hat said:
go play the nickel machines and put the nickels in reallly slowly you will get all the free drinks you want
OH no i gave away the secret!:eek:

That's exactly what my wife and I did!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21