Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armand Basi leather biker

Navin323i

Practically Family
Papa M said:
ab6e.jpg

I'm bumping back to prominence this thread having seen Ukali1066's interesting Luftwaffe jacket.

I think that my Armand Basi jacket is also quite unique - and strange.

I suspect that it is too effete and Catwalk for the majority of Fedora Loungers. I am still contemplating sticking it on E-Bay. However I will need to recoup much more than the 45 Quid that Ukali paid for his E-Bay find.

I wonder if anyone here even likes it?

First of all I'd like to say hello to you... I've enjoyed reading your posts on here and have been a guest for the past month or so on here and I can now finally post.

I really like and appreciate the uniqueness factor of your jacket. If you haven't already done so, please check out my "introduction" thread in the Outerwear subforum so that you'll understand the "extent" of my appreciation for the uniqueness factor. :)

I hope you decide to keep the jacket and not let the opinions of folks here influence you to sell the jacket... ultimately it's your jacket and if you like it then that's what counts.

Do you find that with the black/white ladder effect on the jacket does it make it tougher to match it up with pants, shoes, etc that you would wear with this jacket? I've never heard of Armand Basi... is that a popular brand there in the UK? What I also find interesting about your jacket is how on the front of the jacket there are more of these black/white ladders versus the rear of the jacket. You would think that the jacket maker would make the same number of vertical ladder lines on the front and rear, but it's cool that it's different... makes the jacket even more unique.

Enjoy the jacket in good health. :)

Papa M

A-List Customer
Thanks for your eloquent and charming comments Navin.

I haven't worn this jacket for many years - which is why I ought to let it go. I'm not sure that I really like it. I love the quality of it but am not quite happy about the look. When I did wear it I used to wear black trousers or vintage selvage jeans. It worked either casual or "designer" smart.

I feel that it should go to a Fifties Hot-rodder type. Someone with a vintage Chevy perhaps. It has that Rock 'n' Roll feel to it.

For now it will sit in my stash of items that I intend to sell off as part of my retirement pension scheme. - Unless, of course, someone jumps in and makes me a handsome offer.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Papa M said:
Thanks for your eloquent and charming comments Navin.

I haven't worn this jacket for many years - which is why I ought to let it go. I'm not sure that I really like it. I love the quality of it but am not quite happy about the look. When I did wear it I used to wear black trousers or vintage selvage jeans. It worked either casual or "designer" smart.

I feel that it should go to a Fifties Hot-rodder type. Someone with a vintage Chevy perhaps. It has that Rock 'n' Roll feel to it.

For now it will sit in my stash of items that I intend to sell off as part of my retirement pension scheme. - Unless, of course, someone jumps in and makes me a handsome offer.

You're most welcome, Papa (sorry I don't know your name and whenever I say "Papa" it has 2 meanings... my North Indian father in law (papa means father) and in southern India papa means baby, haha!

I understand your reasonings for wanting to get rid of the jacket... where was your jacket made? When you're ready to sell it then let me know how much you're looking to get for it. I forget if you specified a size or not... I'll have to go back and re-read your earlier posts here to be sure.

Great to meet you. :)

Navin

Papa M

A-List Customer
Navin323i said:
Papa (sorry I don't know your name....

It's Martin. Papa M stands for Papa Mundele which means Daddy Whiteman in Lingala. It is a name that Congolese musicians and dancing girls call me. Part of my work is with the music of the Congo (Zaire).

The jacket is about size 44. I'm 5'10 170 lbs and wear 36" waist blue jeans. My A2 jackets are size 44 as are my N1, B10 and a few others. My Highwaymans, G1 and D1 are size 42.

I'm guessing that the Armand Basi might be a bit small for you.

It was made in Spain. Armand Basi is a Spanish designer label which started in 1987. I picked this up in the early 90s and so it is probably one of the earliest items they made. They made really high end clothes - same level as Gianni Versace, Thierry Mugler and Yohji Yamamoto. A jacket like this would have originally retailed for about 1500 bucks (£1000). These days I think Basi primarily makes womens clothes - real Catwalk stuff.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Papa M said:
It's Martin. Papa M stands for Papa Mundele which means Daddy Whiteman in Lingala. It is a name that Congolese musicians and dancing girls call me. Part of my work is with the music of the Congo (Zaire).

The jacket is about size 44. I'm 5'10 170 lbs and wear 36" waist blue jeans. My A2 jackets are size 44 as are my N1, B10 and a few others. My Highwaymans, G1 and D1 are size 42.

I'm guessing that the Armand Basi might be a bit small for you.

It was made in Spain. Armand Basi is a Spanish designer label which started in 1987. I picked this up in the early 90s and so it is probably one of the earliest items they made. They made really high end clothes - same level as Gianni Versace, Thierry Mugler and Yohji Yamamoto. A jacket like this would have originally retailed for about 1500 bucks (£1000). These days I think Basi primarily makes womens clothes - real Catwalk stuff.

Great to meet you, Martin. Our height, waist size, and jacket size are the same... weight is a bit more on my end.... so yes it might be a bit small unless I make it a point to lose some weight which I plan on trying to do. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24