Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art (by Dinerman)

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Dinerman said:
Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't know. This place was in Winchester, VA?

Yup, that Winchester - the "big apple" town and home of Patsy Cline. I have some ancestors from this area.

The diner sits across from the Winchester Little Theater (on Boscawen Street). I think it's called The Amherst Diner.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
this place?

IMG_4882.jpg

I was in a news story about that place, because I happened to be there on their grand reopening, an event covered by the winchester star.

A Maryland teen with the day off from school dug into some sausage gravy on Wednesday during his first visit to the Amherst.

Spencer Stewart, 15, of Olney, didn’t know he had appeared on the first day of Ashby’s tenure.

Instead, he was there to generate notes for Roadside magazine. His father Michael, an architectural photographer, took photos and served as the driver for their Winchester excursion, which was slated to include the Piccadilly Grill, Snow White Grill, and perhaps the Triangle Diner.

Spencer said he first started to pay more attention to diners at the age of 11 or 12. He likes the food, and said he is interested in them because they’re disappearing.

He and his father often take day trips to eateries within two or three hours of their home, and they’ve also taken longer excursions along the East Coast.

Spencer is now filling his third journal’s worth of notes on diners. The notes will later be published in Roadside.

And while Spencer may revisit the Amherst in the future, patrons such as Swartz and Heishman plan on appearing at the counter every morning.

“As long as they stay open, we’ll be here,” Heishman said.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Amazing

Dinerman said:
this place?

IMG_4882.jpg

I was in a news story about that place, because I happened to be there on their grand reopening, an event covered by the winchester star.

You really are "Dinerman" :) I had to think about the angle, but I think that's it. That's the view from the parking lot, right? And it's on Amherst and sits across from the old Pennsylvania freight station which is now home to a pretty good theatre company called, "The Winchester Little Theatre?"

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Boogie Boogie!

I do these because I'm bored in my digital art class, and they get done quickly.

Here's me in my stratoliner.

meinsunglasses.jpg

Canadave

One Too Many
Hmmm, vector drawings. Not familiar, so I "Googled" it, as the kids would say. Found this on Wikipedia;

"Vector graphics (also called geometric modeling or object-oriented graphics) is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and polygons, which are all based upon mathematical equations to represent images in computer graphics. It is used by contrast to the term raster graphics, which is the representation of images as a collection of pixels (dots)".

MUCH
clearer now! :eusa_doh:

lol

David

ideaguy

One Too Many
Dinerman-I second Douglas' reply:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
and a question-have you ever looked at the works of Stuart Davis?
mid-century Modernist, I'd think you'd find some simpatico with technique.
advice given to me years ago: "keep painting"

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
yep- davis has some nice work, but I'm not a huge fan of that style (though it looks as if it would be fun to do).

Me mentor as far as art (especially my painting) goes is John Baeder. His advice to me is to paint and draw as much as I can.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
Hmmm, vector drawings. Not familiar, so I "Googled" it, as the kids would say. Found this on Wikipedia;

"Vector graphics (also called geometric modeling or object-oriented graphics) is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and polygons, which are all based upon mathematical equations to represent images in computer graphics. It is used by contrast to the term raster graphics, which is the representation of images as a collection of pixels (dots)".

MUCH
clearer now! :eusa_doh:

lol

David

Wow, what a mouthful!
I think the simplest definition of vector (to one familiar with photoshop, anyway) is an image that is created using points as a unit of measurement on the screen (mathematical coordinates) versus pixels. In other words, using the pen tool versus laying down colors with the brush tool (although the brushes are capable of gradating, color is still applied, in essence, as tiny variant squares). Once the image file is made into a jpg or gif it all turns to pixels as well. Vectors are often done in Flash also, but Illustrator a vector-based program (which I adore).

These are great, Dinerman! Keep up the good work.

DW Evans

New in Town
As Ms. Slippers stated, Vector images are based on mathematical equations of a line, such as from point A to point B. Thus, Vector images are always smooth and Bitmaps (Raster images) are usually pixellated, blocky.

Vector art is usually the simplified, traced version of an elaborate image. It is used very much by graphic artists (magazines, pamphlets, et cetera) in an effort to capture the essence of a subject.

Bitmaps are based on coordinates (i.e. a dot here, a dot there) placed on an invisible grid. And a Bitmap program would be something such as Microsoft Paint (MS Paint for short). Bitmaps are drawn pixel by pixel unless converted from another image type.

For visual reference, Bitmaps are usually what you would have seen, for the most part, back when arcades were all the rage and video game elements were known as sprites. Though, arcade games eventually transitioned to Vector based games as well.

Bitmaps (sprites) via "Metal Slug."

metal-slug-3-e.jpg

Vector images via "Moonlander" aka 'Lunar Lander'

Lunar_Lander.png

Anyways, nice work Dinerman!

ideaguy

One Too Many
the advice you were given is the best you can get...John Grillo, a member of the Ab-Ex movement, studied under Hans Hoffman at his famous studio in Provincetown-good friends with Karen and I, always told us: "Keep Painting."
John must be in his 80's now, and paints every day. This guy rubbed elbows at the Cedar Bar in NY with DeKooning,Pollack,Johns,and the rest. Their M.O., besides getting hammered every night, was simple: they painted every day.
Karen and I spent many evenings at John's house, eating up an Italian storm
made by his 3rd/4th wife, and listening to what John remembered of the Hoffman "school"-and that was hilarious, because Hoffman spoke in such a
thick German accent that no one really understood all he was saying, so these
already accomplished young artists would have the great Hans Hoffman holler:
eediot!! like dizz! and he'd slash paint across their canvases,make these funny
blocks of color, and gesticulate "Push! Pull !" "Move za paints!"....John was a great imitator, so we could only understand part of His gig...lesson still
was/is: keep painting!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW