Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Architecture -Photos-

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, not really...

dhermann1 said:
BTW, the pictures directly above are a good example of Art Moderne. Moderne and Deco overlap a great deal. But the term Deco really applies to the elaborate decoration on both buildings and other objects of the period. Moderne implies this simple parallel lines that the apartment building above displays. Things can have traits of both at the same time. These terms were applied after the design trends were created.
Also, Deco was more common in the early 20's and 30's, whereas Moderne, which did start out in the early 20's as well, didn't become predominant till later, like the 30's and even 40's.
The Metro Theater is a good example of Streamline Modern.

Moderne was the name for what we now think of as the zig-zag, geometrical, fancy Art Deco. That is what they called it in the time it was being produced. Streamlined Moderne is the later 30s look.

The term "Art Deco" came in to being in the late 1960s, as the name of an exposition celebrating the style of entire period encompassing 1914 (the birth of the look) to 1941 (commonly held to be the end of the movement as WWII pretty much put a hold on the development).

The name was adapted from the "Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes" (International Exposition of Modern Industrial and Decorative Art) held in Paris in 1925. Where the Moderne style was being touted as the hot new thing.

So the name Art Deco has nothing to do with how much or how little something is deco-rated. It is a very common misconception.

Here's a very complete Wiklipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Deco

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 2008 Art Deco Preservation Award Winners

l_e298a83c3005e9bbc21768831fe6111f.jpg

100 Capra Street, San Francisco

l_9e5760724a7dfea5a876f878da0e94d0.jpg

The General Warehouse, Richmond

l_1b3133ac308078ba139e41df4bd5aaf3.jpg

The Hamilton, San Francisco

l_718195cb30bc5e40cafa6c0f8052dc0b.jpg

The Medico Building, San Jose

l_a9bf092bd3d327c59a79a731c78dc61c.jpg

The Uptown Theater, Napa

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Memnon said:
Art deco and derivatives of art deco is my favorite architectural style.

Same here, ever since I was a child I've loved retro buildings that had the Art Deco look. I always considered them the height of retro-cool.

:eek:fftopic:

When as a child, I saw those buildings through the car windows on long (over 10 min.) drives I'd just imagined their previous life as a rocking swinging hepcat hot spot. A bootlegger's dream joint. A kind of Public Enemy/ Jazz Baby meeting places.

And then I'd imagine all the hot names like cool Duke Ellington (who I knew nil of, music wise.), and hot, Hot, HOT Cab Calloway sliding his way though one of his jump up and jive numbers.

Or I'd just see a kind of Rockwell existence where teens jived, bobbysoxed, and swooned their way to Crosby, Sinatra (be still my heart- hes the LIVING END for me), or maybe Elvis)

And I'd think to my 6-year-old self and sometimes tell my mother, "One day I'm gonna be a car-hop and work at one of those burger joints." (Yes I said joint.)

So for one reason or another, I love art deco. (Though I know spit-all about it.) That and Rococo.

(I'm a lush. Really I am. If only I had the bank account to prove that inner decadence of mine!)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
The most beautiful factory in the world, The Hoover Building on the Western Avenue (A40) in Perivale, Middlesex.

Built for The Hoover Company, the building originally housed Hoover's main UK manufacturing facility making vacuum cleaners, and employed up to 600 staff in the its offices and works. The original building (No.1) was built in 1932 and contained the main offices; before it was completed plans were being put in place to add manufacturing facilities.

Hoover_Building_1.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Can't believe I missed this thread... I love cool old buildings so thanks for posting all the pictures everyone!

They just don't make em like they use to...sad to see so many of them getting torn down for what people call progress.:(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The World's Largest Art Deco Building.

The Merchandise Mart in Chicago is over 4 million square feet of Art Deco. The 19th floor was home to WMAQ Radio which was one of the big voices of the Golden Era. Fibber McGee and Molly, the Breakfast Club, Amos n' Andy, Captain Midnight were among the shows that broadcasted from the MM.

chicago41.jpg

And she lights up at night.

20050625_54-1.jpg

And for the Holidays.

122904_nightshot001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR