Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Architecture -Photos-

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Here is the courtyard

DSCN0733.jpg

this is now our favorite place to stay in SF. It is in the Sunset district, which is mostly residential so very quiet. The L train runs right in front of the motel (they provide ear plugs for the noise but I didn't mind it a bit) which you can take all the way to the Embarcadero. It is right next to Ocean Beach and the zoo.

Folly

One of the Regulars
Some British gems.

This is now a chemist in Emsworth, Hampshire

14-artdecobuildingemsworthSmall.jpg

13-artdecobuildingemsworthSmall.jpg

14-artdecobuildingemsworthSmall.jpg

Southend-On-Sea, Kent.

Most of the original Crittle windows have sadly been replaced with uPVC. The only remaining ones I can see are above the main entrance doors.

DSCF5816Small.jpg

DSCF5818Small.jpg

DSCF5819Small.jpg

Leigh-On-Sea, Kent
DSCF5820Small.jpg

Phil

A-List Customer
Art Deco Architecture

Well ladies and gents, it's been a while since I've had the time to come to my favorite lounge. It's good to be back and I hope you're all doing well.
Anywho, moving on to buisness. Recently, in my Architecture class, we were asked to identify our favorite style. Mine is the elegant style of the 1920's Art Deco.
I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of their favorite buildings or some common interest in Art Deco architecture.

Foofoogal

Banned

Folly

One of the Regulars
You're so right Mr. Godfrey, it looks terrible. Our modern cottage, the previous owners put in uPVC and I loathe them, but we weren't in the position to be picky about the windows sadly.

There's a place in London with a road is scattered with art deco houses and very few have the original windows. The difference between houses with original windows with their curving glass and the ones with uPVC angled glass is astonishing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The problem with the old metal windows, of course, is that the wind blows through them like the were swiss cheese. At least the dimensions of the panes are correct in your pics. In most similar buildings here, the whole window is replaced. When the temperatures are freezing, and the wind is blowing, historical accuracy seems a lot less important than staying warm!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Moderne

BTW, the pictures directly above are a good example of Art Moderne. Moderne and Deco overlap a great deal. But the term Deco really applies to the elaborate decoration on both buildings and other objects of the period. Moderne implies this simple parallel lines that the apartment building above displays. Things can have traits of both at the same time. These terms were applied after the design trends were created.
Also, Deco was more common in the early 20's and 30's, whereas Moderne, which did start out in the early 20's as well, didn't become predominant till later, like the 30's and even 40's.
The Metro Theater is a good example of Streamline Modern.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But of course!

As a 20+ year member of the Art Deco Society of California, I have been completely taken over by the aesthetic! I get all the books I can.
Luckily, I live in Oakland, and we have some wonderful deco buildings:
The Oakland Flower Mart
l_69d9ce82a0af146859b15b5656de6ddd.jpg

The Fox Theater (currently being restored!)
l_49ee307e16837d8c67584e69458f9f5f.jpg

The I. Magnin Building
l_5ceae1083c9b600d1e90abc2931f71d2.jpg

The Paramount Theater
l_5e0c25c4e046124919ae5a1866f51c78.jpg

Inside the Paramount lobby
l_95e705a21cb4541a4c0a0e58cb461385.jpg

Other end of the lobby
l_c8eda7a0a8d5d60c3d3412cb6087ca30.jpg

The smoking lounge of the Paramoun (I like this place a lot)
http://a723.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/74/l_d0a10cb68b1c2b9924fa754ccf7ede72.jpg

The "Buck Rogers" Mormon Temple
l_32da31fb74203ea04983ace4f5b43702.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here's a small package store in Cambridge, MA. From the look of it, I would say 30s. The tile work on the outside is very ncie. It's being totally rehabbed and I hope they preserve some of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ