Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett is making me a hat!

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I feel the sweet spot for brim sizes for the majority of people run from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2". As for black hats making your look older, I think that might have some truth to it but it can relate to racial features. I have classic Italian lines and looks, so those dark hats give me that old world look. I tend to prefer them as a result.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I also suggest the lightweight felt. The dress weight felts will be too heavy for your area and I would also suggest a 2 3/8" brim. I'm 5'7, size 7 3/8 and I wear at least a 2 1/2" brim because of my facial features.
But definitely go with the lightweight felt. You'll love it!

Feraud

Bartender
Just curious: I've always thought brim length depended more on the width or fullness of the face. I'm 5' 9 1/2" but wear a 7 7/8" hat, and I've found I need at least a 2 1/2" brim and no taper to the crown. Would you say height is more important in considering brim size?
I wouldn't say height is more important but just one of the criteria for brim length.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've found that the most important test for a hat is the one in front of the mirror: I've seen a few that I liked the look of but couldn't get them off my head quickly enough when I tried them on. Those were smaller brimmed hats that tapered toward the middle. They looked like clown hats on me.

Luis50

New in Town
I've found that the most important test for a hat is the one in front of the mirror: I've seen a few that I liked the look of but couldn't get them off my head quickly enough when I tried them on. Those were smaller brimmed hats that tapered toward the middle. They looked like clown hats on me.

I agree that the mirror is a good test but, I think one should have knowledge of some basic rules.

tommyK

One Too Many
I agree with tropicalbob that the mirror is best for deciding what looks best. A trip to a hat shop could be helpful if you haven't already, try on several styles. Keep in mind your tastes may change with time as well. Many go bigger with their brims as they get more comfortable wearing fedoras. I wouldn't go smaller than 2 1/2 on the brim. You can always trim down a brim that you think is too big. You can't go the other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR