Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett is making me a hat!

Luis50

New in Town
Of course Art will be making his recommendations and I know what I like but, I'd like some suggestions on color and style from the good folks here.
I'm a 57 year old man. I like to dress well when I go out and when performing which is where this hat will get worn the most. I'm a percussionist playing in mostly Salsa and Caribbean bands. I've owned and worn several cheap straw fedoras but this will be my first quality hat.
Right now I'm wearing a Brixton that I bought here http://www.mypanamahat.com/index.php. It's a straw fedora with a 2 inch brim with about a 4 inch crown. I'd like to keep the proportions about the same because I'm 5'6, 147lbs with small facial features and could easily be overwhelmed by the wrong hat.
Now, the decision on whether to go with felt or straw. I live in Florida and love it but I really want a felt hat. Art has some light weight felts that sound like a good option. Does anyone own one? How does it feel in hot weather?
On color, I like wearing light colors and tend to gravitate towards shades of blue and creams/whites in my clothing. Art has me leaning towards Silverbelly which sounds like a great color for me with the right ribbon.
So, what're your recommendations? Don't be afraid to be creative. I'm a confident mature man that can pull off some not so ordinary attire.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If you're at 57 then I think Silverbelly and lighter colors will work. The darker hats seem to make a person look older. For you, I would say something along the lines of a mid-ribbon, like a Stetson Playboy or Wanderer look. With your features, a 2 1/2 brim to no wider than 2 5/8, creased to a C-crown around 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 inches tall at the pinch. My .02 cents

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, Luis. Give yourself a little time on this one. Think about it: how often are you going to be able to order your ideal hat? Before I ordered my Milan straw from Art last year, I scoured Etsy and Ebay for vintage styles that blew me away. When I found the perfect one, after a lot of reading and looking, I sent the picture to the Master who reproduced it perfectly. I feel like I'm wearing the coolest hat in Miami.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
A lightweight silverbelly would be an excellent choice. Very versatile. I'd say you can go for a wider brim as well. I'm about 5'7", and 2" is definitely stingy. I've found that 2 1/8"-2 3/8" to be a perfect width for most looks.

emigran

Practically Family
I have a an Artlite DOVE that is great for summer and anytime really... Dimensions are more of a personal taste ... go through the website and here on Fl there are tons of hat pix so you can go absolutely crazy before you decide.
I also have a a Milan that is fantastic and probably no less cool than the liteweight,,, I actually wear dress weight hats in summer too...

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
I've got one in Mojave, a nice light summery color.
2014-06-04134448_zpscc1463f9.jpg

NewJack

Practically Family
If you're at 57 then I think Silverbelly and lighter colors will work. The darker hats seem to make a person look older. For you, I would say something along the lines of a mid-ribbon, like a Stetson Playboy or Wanderer look. With your features, a 2 1/2 brim to no wider than 2 5/8, creased to a C-crown around 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 inches tall at the pinch. My .02 cents

TJones. Interesting note on darker hats making one look older. I also think it's about ones skin tone-especially mine. Depending on the make and creator, lighter hats seem to draw more attention to the hat itself than to me as the total package. It could also depend on how I feel about wearing the lighter colors. Nonetheless, the lighter colors/shades I've chosen chosen recently does bring about esthetics that are pleasing to me and others. Again. Interesting observation!

Last edited:
TJones. Interesting note on darker hats making one look older. I also think it's about ones skin tone-especially mine. Depending on the make and creator, lighter hats seem to draw more attention to the hat itself than to me as the total package. It could also depend on how I feel about wearing the lighter colors. Nonetheless, the lighter colors/shades I've chosen chosen recently does bring about esthetics that are pleasing to me and others. Again. Interesting observation!

Some of my favorite hat colors do indeed have that way of drawing perhaps bit too much attention to themselves. Bone, for instance, is a great color, but man, you better have something else going on to balance it -- something to pull the eye down some.

Feraud

Bartender
If you choose felt, go for something as lightweight as possible.
For color, I'd opt for cream colored felt with a navy or maroon band.

It's a straw fedora with a 2 inch brim with about a 4 inch crown. I'd like to keep the proportions about the same because I'm 5'6, 147lbs with small facial features and could easily be overwhelmed by the wrong hat.
For your height/weight/features, don't choose a brim over 2 1/2+". It will likely overwhelm your face. Keep the brim from 2- 2 3/8th.

Good luck and enjoy the new hat!

Luis50

New in Town

For your height/weight/features, don't choose a brim over 2 1/2+". It will likely overwhelm your face. Keep the brim from 2- 2 3/8th.

Yep, You're right on the brim size. I like your suggestion on the color also. I would add a matching navy edge on the brim.

tommyK

One Too Many
Beautiful! One of the colors that I feel would be perfect for me, tommyK! It appears to be a color and a design that could give one a 'relaxed' feeling...

Go for it NewJack! You'd look great in it and I know you'll be happy with Art's work. Your right it's a hat for warm weather bbq's, bars and beaches.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just curious: I've always thought brim length depended more on the width or fullness of the face. I'm 5' 9 1/2" but wear a 7 7/8" hat, and I've found I need at least a 2 1/2" brim and no taper to the crown. Would you say height is more important in considering brim size?

Luis50

New in Town
I'm you height & wear 7 5/8. Can't go less than 2 5/8 brim. Facial shape, jawline, nose, etc. influence brim size. JMHO

I'm 5'6" with an oval shape face and a 6 7/8 or a little less sized hat. In your opinion what size brim and crown should I use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda