Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I can't wait to see that one in person ;)
Hey Karl, hmm - that could well be the hat to wear when we have the New England get-together!

DJH,, It is a whole new you, head and hat ;)

Your VS family is increasing quite nicely, my compliments to you.........
Thanks OG. I've certainly been enjoying growing this little family.

Your new addition is looking very good as well!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Summer was around the corner

arthat2.jpg

arthat3.jpg

The pleated ribbon likewise was inspired by another Borsalino.

The specs;
Lightweight mojave felt with dark blue ribbon
Made on Art's rounder "european" block
5" crown (uncreased)
2 1/4" brim with a thin overwelt and double stitching
liner pad

Lovely!

email68

One of the Regulars
I don't have any light colored hats for summer. Except one panama.

I have enough money for either one VS or I could get two Akubras. I was thinking of the Camp Draft in Silverbelly (the campaign one they have now), and a Fed IV Fawn.

So, what would you do. One VS vs. two Akubras?

-Tim

fmw

One Too Many
One VS and I don't even have one. I haven't even seen one. But the images I've seen are breathtaking. Akubra is just an Australian Stetson. No big deal. I have three of those. They are OK but not like a custom.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
One VS, go for the gold. I have a Slivermist Artlite on the block, as we speak. This along with my (Art) Milan will be my Summer hats.

Cliff

email68

One of the Regulars
LOL. Kinda what I was thinking.

I wonder what the Akubra guys would have said if I asked this in one of their threads!

-Tim

Link

One of the Regulars
I'll also suggest the one VS. I own several Akubras including a Camp Draft and a Fed IV. After my Fed IV shrank a bit I thought it was a perfect fit, but I learned different when I got my VS. The fit alone of the VS is almost worth the extra cost. I can't comment on how comfortable an Artlite will be in the summer, but hopefully I'll know soon- I placed an order for one almost immediately after receiving my first VS.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
LOL. Kinda what I was thinking.

I wonder what the Akubra guys would have said if I asked this in one of their threads!

-Tim

Can't really compare the two. It's the old apples/oranges thing. Akubra's are probably some of the best PRODUCTION hats made no doubt, but a made-to-measure, CUSTOM hat is another world. Just like boots, a good pair of Justins are good boots. A custom pair of Luchese's is a whole 'nother world and I'm an Akubra guy :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
So, what would you do. One VS vs. two Akubras?

-Tim

Here's what I'd do - kind of the best of both worlds!

I'd send a deposit to Art AND order the Akubra.

It will be about 6 weeks until you get the VS hat - what with shipping the conformer about and the fact that he is always pretty busy. This will give you some time to be enjoying the Akubra (these are fantastic hats for the money) and have some more $$ saved when you learn that your VS is ready.

The non-heritage versions of the Akubra are not that expensive (I seem to recall my CD was about $100) which might be your best way to go.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Here's what I'd do - kind of the best of both worlds!

I'd send a deposit to Art AND order the Akubra.

It will be about 6 weeks until you get the VS hat - what with shipping the conformer about and the fact that he is always pretty busy. This will give you some time to be enjoying the Akubra (these are fantastic hats for the money) and have some more $$ saved when you learn that your VS is ready.

The non-heritage versions of the Akubra are not that expensive (I seem to recall my CD was about $100) which might be your best way to go.

That's really not a bad idea at all.
If I had to pick one though, I'd go with the VS. The experience with working with Art is just unforgettable and to have one of his hats is unbelievable.
Actually this reminds me I really need to post a pic of the hat he made me.

EggHead

Practically Family
Here is the thing. I have 3 Akubras and 1 custom (not VS). Custom is the most comfortable for me, but because it's looks so good, i.e. well made, excellent material, etc. I can't just wear it going hiking or in the park with jeans. I take Akubra, it's more rugged looking and fits the event. So for late afternoon, evening wear in the city in the summer - VS, otherwise an Imperial CD - $100.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have 3 lightweight VS and they work great in the Summer. While Akubras are great hats, and I have them too, I'd rather have one VS than 2 Akubras. Plus the pure beaver of the VS actually stays clean, even in lighter colors. Most dirt just brushes out.

BTW, Art makes great panamas at a reasonable price. Those are the best Summer hats. They look great with everything from jeans and Aloha shirts to business suits.

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. You my be getting me in trouble ;-)

I do have a Camp Draft in Bluegrass. It took a while but it fits me ok. Can't compare to a custom. I do have a custom on order from Penman that I places a month ago. That one is going to be a granite grey.

What are Arts summer colors?

Tim

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. You my be getting me in trouble ;-)

What are Arts summer colors?

Tim

Tim, If you're looking for Art's lightweight Summer felts; this is from an email that he sent to me the 1st of May "I only have a few colors left in featherweight. They are Silvermist, Silverbelly, Powder blue, Mojave, sahara, black, dark moss, navy ( 1 only) and chocolate ( 1 only)." He would have many more colors in regular weight felt.

Cliff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner