Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Silverbelly LITE 5.5" x 2 1/4" w/ 22 L black

Variations on a theme. The french navy linen is back in rotation - today paired with a silk knit tie and lavender-lightgrey shirt, brown derbies.

VS-SilverbellyLITE-w-22black_frenchnavylinen.jpg

P1080091post.jpg

Last edited:

Mitral

New in Town
After the long wait, filled with anticipation, the day finally arrived!!!

Fedora1.jpg

Fedora2.jpg

Fedora3.jpg

Fedora4.jpg

Fedora5.jpg

Fedora6.jpg

Fedora7.jpg

Fedora8.jpg

5.5 inch crown, 2 3/8 underwelt brim, 14L ribbon, Pecan in color.

The color and craftsmanship are absolutely beautiful! It is more than I had anticipated or hoped for.

Unfortunately no mug shot because the hat is about a cm to small for my noggin. I sent Art a message asking what my options are. For now, it's a trophy in the closet along with the rest of the hats I don't wear. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess this is the risk of doing things completely remote without actually trying things on first. I hope it all works out because this hat is to fabulous not to wear!

Cheers!

clossonrr

New in Town
Hey mitral that is a very nice looking lid, I'm sure it will get a lot of use! as far as being just a tad too small, I just went through the same thing with my first VS which i received about 2 months ago. Art sent me a band block just a hair larger to stretch it out when the hat needs it. It now has been getting lots of wear!

... the hat is about a cm to small for my noggin... Has this happened to anyone else? I guess this is the risk of doing things completely remote without actually trying things on first. I hope it all works out because this hat is to fabulous not to wear!

Cheers!

Not for me & I have 4 VS Customs. The Conforminator & measurement of my noggin worked perfectly 1 time for all 4. I have a cedar band block the shape of my head that I train other vintage lids how to fit like a Work of Art.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Not for me & I have 4 VS Customs. The Conforminator & measurement of my noggin worked perfectly 1 time for all 4. I have a cedar band block the shape of my head that I train other vintage lids how to fit like a Work of Art.

I have to agree with gtdean. Art has built six hats for me and all fit perfectly.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately no mug shot because the hat is about a cm to small for my noggin. I sent Art a message asking what my options are. For now, it's a trophy in the closet along with the rest of the hats I don't wear. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess this is the risk of doing things completely remote without actually trying things on first. I hope it all works out because this hat is to fabulous not to wear!

One centimeter would be quite a difference. I recommend to re-measure your head at the largest circumference (in most cases, that's half an inch above the eyebrows, and half an inch above the tip of the ears). Do the measurement repeatedly to find out the perfect size. Once you have arrived at the presumed perfect size, it may be helpful to make a "sweatband" of your own by using some duct tape to fixate the measuring tape on itself; after that, put it back on your head. You should (only just so) be able to pull the measuring tape-loop down on your head, beyond the largest circumference. In other words, it should fit the largest circumference snugly, but not tight. Try slightly different "sizes" by using the tape loop at different settings.

Another question would be: Did you take the conformer measurement tilted or straight? It should be done straight; the conformer is supposed to sit just where the measuring tape sits (see above).

If the measurements prove to be o.k., a wooden bandblock from Art might help solve the issue.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
My advice is to take action quickly, and get it fixed. Do try way Rabbit suggests. Different styles can fit at different angles too. VS@s are tall crowned, and less prone to a high fit by nature. Too often you will think not`s worth a wait, as the hats a beauty, but get it attended to, and Art is the only one that can advise, and he`ll put the issue to rest, be assured. Enjoy

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
After arriving home yesterday this was on my front door step.

2hxn9u8.jpg

atd1h.jpg

A beautiful Mojave with 12 L rust ribbon...

Taking a page from Eric's book of VS pics .....

246jqfr.jpg

And Seabass likes his brim up sometimes so I thought I would try that.....

14wkn5.jpg

My mother always said I had a head like a rock.....:D

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks Chepstow and rabbit. Art had the rust in a 12l and I thought it was about time i moved into an in between size and this hat just seemed to fit the bill....

gtdean48 the brim is 2 1/2, crown 4 1/2 from brim to top of bash indent and yes it is a raw brim.
I usually bounce between either a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 brim

Mikespens I will try but I am just a guy who takes a picture now and then so no promises of a good night shot of the rock... with or without hat ???

dnjan I agree however the problem is after the weather is here to wear the felt it isn't long before this happens to the same area where the hat is on the rock
kceyjt.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy