Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

MikeU

Familiar Face
Hey guys need some help all of the sudden I can't upload pictures I have before doing something wrong need some help, coach me through it please! Thx

MikeU

Familiar Face
the milan boater

56BB3711-25E9-4A35-B6DE-8DCA5C64DF30_zps2d02f1f6.jpg just came in my new milan boater , Art made the boater A2752242-A798-4E60-9BBD-850621FDE18D_zpsji5buucj.jpg A2752242-A798-4E60-9BBD-850621FDE18D_zpsji5buucj.jpg

Attachments

• 58F68415-4E57-4CAF-892B-1C08BEAF484A_zpsmgv63nnj.jpg
    58F68415-4E57-4CAF-892B-1C08BEAF484A_zpsmgv63nnj.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
WOW-ee!!!! What a beautiful boater! Spectacular congrats fellas, both maker and wearer.

And to Art, who should be taking life easier... MAZEL TOV, man!!!!! May everyone who walks through your door leave with two hats (for which they have paid)!

All the BEST in this new endeavor, Mr. Fawcett.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
MikeU
that is too cool , a Milan boater. sweet

Art
yea your gonna put that shop space & store front to some good use...

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
As an exeption to the rule that this is supposed to be a thread to display Art's work, I'd like to share some design ideas for Art's new handsewn Milans.

In the Esquire illustrations of the second half of the 1930s, you will see the occasional Leghorn hat. Not much difference to Milans in terms of design choices, I'd say - what works for a Leghorn will work for a Milan as well.
Here is one in an Optimo style with snap brim worn downbrim, trimmed with - and this is the interesting part - a solid-colored puggaree that has the bow in front. I think this additional element of symmetry (or rather near-symmetry) looks awesome.
The color of the pug appears to be a pastel mint green, a great combination for the medium-to-dark brown straw. It works especially well with the tan suits colors. Any shade between off-white, beige and tan would be another option for the pug.

I hope to have one like this made once it fits into the budget.

Leghorn Optimo with puggaree, silk suit:

A couple more examples, just to show that the style was seen more than once. The crown shapes are not too exiting here, though.

Last edited:
... I'd say - what works for a Leghorn will work for a Milan as well.

Great designs - I also like the centered pugaree dip. But I would be curious on Art's response to the Milan/Leghorn parity. Leghorn is a straw weave in the family of panamas and buntals. The milan radial construction seems much less versatile when it comes to shaping. I can't imagine a milan weave holding a tight optima blocking.

cheers,
Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes