Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

gambit

New in Town
Thanks everyone! This is my fourth piece of Art and I'm constantly amazed every time!

As great as it looks now, it looks much better in person! Art and I found that it is sometimes hard to capture the Cabernet felt color in photos, since it tends to look lighter in most photos like in mine and the photos Art sent to me to test different ribbon colors. The felt is dark, with the closest look being the pic where I'm wearing it and the ones on Art's site of the original inspiration, Round Minight.

The ribbon design was me unable to settle with one ribbon color out of the four Art picked out for me and deciding to re-use the idea I had from my previous Art fedora, but having him show the second color ribbon on this hat show more than he did on the previous hat.

Previous hat/ribbon design:

New hat/ribbon design:

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
yikes John, I had no idea!! The surgery went well, more extensive than planned but well. I'm back in the shop today for a few hours and see that the Lounge not only has changed but lost about 1/2 the data of this thread. Still trying to get my feet under me re: the Lounge. Free valet parking???

Gunship

New in Town
Looking forward to talking to you again soon, Art. Take it slow coming back (but not toooooo slow!) & allow yourself to heal. I'm glad it all went well.
I'd post a pix of the new Whiskey work of Art that I got after you went in, but something is glitching between my Photo Booth app and the new Lounge set up.
Glad to have you back!!
Pierce

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Gents, I can't tell you how good it is to be back home. Does anyone out there feel more comfortable at work than at home or is it just me? Coming into the shop is like slipping into bed for me. It will be weeks before I'm cleared to do any work but just being here is enough for now.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a question that I should, by now, know the answer to but don't: If you see a hat that you really like on the website of a hatstore and it's selling for close to what you would pay for a custom, is it ethical (or even legal) to ask a custom hatter to replicate the design? I've seen clones of such hats as the Strat, of course, but that's a style that's been around for quite a while. Or would it be difficult for a maker to prove that he had a copyright on a certain style? The reason I ask is because there's one that's really appealing to me, but I know nothing of the hatter and would much prefer to ask Art to work his magic. Any thoughts?

Here's a question that I should, by now, know the answer to but don't: If you see a hat that you really like on the website of a hatstore and it's selling for close to what you would pay for a custom, is it ethical (or even legal) to ask a custom hatter to replicate the design? I've seen clones of such hats as the Strat, of course, but that's a style that's been around for quite a while. Or would it be difficult for a maker to prove that he had a copyright on a certain style? The reason I ask is because there's one that's really appealing to me, but I know nothing of the hatter and would much prefer to ask Art to work his magic. Any thoughts?
I don't see anything wrong with using a factory model hat, modern or vintage, as inspiration for your custom endeavor. JMHO

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I don't see anything wrong with using a factory model hat, modern or vintage, as inspiration for your custom endeavor. JMHO

agreed

every custom I have is directly modeled or loosely modeled after a classic line

I hope to own some of Arts work very soon ... in the process of saving for one right now

ingineer

One Too Many
Concur;
Even Apple with its million attorneys can't win a case against Samsung for a rectangular tablet with rounded corners.
Bob just do it. i think, rather i know, it helps the maker immensely to give him/her a picture of what you are striving for.
BTW
Art, does the conformitour come with a SASE return postage to send it back w/o going to the Post office?

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Many of the hats I make are modeled after features of other hat Bob, just as much of my ribbon work is attempted by other hatters. Most don't know that I introduced the color stripe in the knot in 2005 but take a look at hats today and you would be hard pressed to find websites that don't have at least one model with my stripe. I'd say turnabout is fair

Art will add his own touch to whatever you decide to replicate. He has done at least 3 for me, 2 were based on some old Western hats Alan Freidman had and they came out spectacularly.
I think you will be pleased having him do a "knockoff" for you.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Concur;
Even Apple with its million attorneys can't win a case against Samsung for a rectangular tablet with rounded corners.
Bob just do it. i think, rather i know, it helps the maker immensely to give him/her a picture of what you are striving for.
BTW
Art, does the conformitour come with a SASE return postage to send it back w/o going to the Post office?

I'm sorry RIchard, I missed this question. No, I pick up the tab for sending it and ask that you do to return it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112