Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
warmentrout said:
Granite. 5 3/4 in. crown. 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 in dimensional brim. 1 3/4 in crown ribbon. 1/4 in. brim ribbon in a kind of greenish gray color. Maybe Art can provide that info. Its really a nice contrast that makes the hat go with more stuff

hats2031.jpg
That granite color is very sharp, warmentrout...congrats!

tortswon

Practically Family
Looks great, NB! Can we please have some dimensions? Also what is the bow color exactly? With monitors having color variations, I'm not sure. Maybe you'll wear it to our next hat crawl? Best, Sam

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
tortswon said:
Looks great, NB! Can we please have some dimensions? Also what is the bow color exactly? With monitors having color variations, I'm not sure. Maybe you'll wear it to our next hat crawl? Best, Sam

Oh, let's see... That would be a 2 5/8 inch brim, a crown that started at about 5 3/4 inches open, I think. It's a dark olive ribbon, with what looks like a very light (almost white) green color slash in the bow.

As for what hat makes the next crawl... that will depend on the weather! lol (But if you remind me, I can at least throw it in the trunk). ;)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Time to add my latest VS, which I have named the Toreador (for no good reason - it just hit me).

This collection includes more angles;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/sets/72157609464241879/

I wanted a black hat that wasn't your everyday black-on-black, but also wanted to avoid the usual trap of red, silver, or white ribbon.

Another nice one. The red lining can account for the name! If you're ever in front of a bull, you can wave your hat at him.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Not-Bogart13 said:
Time to add my latest VS, which I have named the Toreador (for no good reason - it just hit me).
3820639973_a199e061fb.jpg

This collection includes more angles;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/sets/72157609464241879/

I wanted a black hat that wasn't your everyday black-on-black, but also wanted to avoid the usual trap of red, silver, or white ribbon.
Very nice! The head shots on your link show off the olive on the black really well--a great combo. :eusa_clap

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
My first Art Fawcett VS has arrived!

What an time for the package to get here...I was planting in our back yard, full of mud and sweat, and the U.S.P.S. arrives...had to actually hold off until I'd finished my work, showered and cleaned up, so that I could open that package. Man, what a test of will power!

This is a fantastic hat--clearly the work of a master craftsman. You all weren't exaggerating about the quality of Mr. Fawcett's hats, were you?! My very first impression: this is my grandfather's hat. Not in style, necessarily, or look (although certainly those, too), but in the feel of it. This feels like the vintage hats my grandfathers wore...the lightweight blue smoke felt is fantastic, the felt supple and easy to work with, and the first hat I've put on that fits like a glove. I'm really not sure that I can buy a stock hat again.

The idea was a variation on a Whippet, but I asked Art for a wider ribbon. I'd first planned on the Jazzman, but then later changed my mind to the Whippet...this ribbon is 2" wide (24 ligne?) and in my humble opinion looks fantastic--a charcoal grey that plays with the blues in the blue smoke well. And the brim binding is a grey that is pretty close to blue smoke in color, in certain light looking almost blue.

Brim is 2 3/8"; not sure of the crown, but I'm guessing 5 3/4" unbashed. Art sent it with a beautiful diamond bash, but the 5" front crown was a little tall for my head (which means I probably won't be getting the Jazzman). So rebashed it (dry, with a little steam to get out the original creases and to help the pinch) to 4 1/2" front, rising to 5" on the sides, and dropping to 3 1/2".

Ok, enough of my rambling. Here are the pics:
Exterior, late afternoon/early evening (any red tones here are coming from an orange umbrella that I should have put down:
P1010011-1.jpg

Is that a slight reverse taper? If so, it was unintentional, but cool:
P1010013.jpg

With a flash here to get the lining:
P1010015.jpg

Interior, no flash (that's a navy jacket, which should give you an idea of how dark the image is):
P1010010.jpg

Exterior, no flash (for some reason the pinch looks crooked here, but it really isn't..still not liking the look of that pinch of mine, so I'll be playing with it):
P1010007.jpg

I'm gonna love this hat, I can tell already...unfortunately, September and October can be hot months in so. California, so I may not get to wear it as much as I want at first. But I'll be hoping for unseasonably cool weather!
Steve

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very, Very nice, JnC. I'm fascinated by how the light plays with the blue and the gray in that one. That's Art's Artlite felt?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Jazz, she's lovely. Gotta love that lightweight felt! It's really great for the Whippet clone, which I got in the pecan felt. I'm still working on a way to make mine more practical (I heat up too fast to wear it in summer, and it's not warm enough for Pennsylvania winters). If I can figure that out, I'll get a second.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Not-Bogart13 said:
Jazz, she's lovely. Gotta love that lightweight felt! It's really great for the Whippet clone, which I got in the pecan felt. I'm still working on a way to make mine more practical (I heat up too fast to wear it in summer, and it's not warm enough for Pennsylvania winters). If I can figure that out, I'll get a second.
Sounds like a fall/spring fedora in PA, NB...I could wear mine evenings here right now, but during the day it's still too warm for a couple of months. It will be perfect for late fall into late spring for the southwest.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jazzncocktails said:
I'm gonna love this hat, I can tell already...unfortunately, September and October can be hot months in so. California, so I may not get to wear it as much as I want at first. But I'll be hoping for unseasonably cool weather!
Steve

Nice hat Jazzn. Actually its a lot like a Jazzman anyway. I bashed mine with a deep crease so its 4 1/4" in the front and 5" on the side despite the 6" crown. That gives it that deep bashed 1930s look (see my avatar).

BTW, I live in Pasadena and as long as the temp stays below 85, you can wear an Art Lite felt hat here in SoCal where there's no humidity. I have 3 and I wear them as long as the temp is below that, and you know its a lot hotter here than in Long Beach (where I was tonight, but that's another story). Enjoy the hat. Unfortunately, once you have one VS it's hard to stop.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
kaosharper1 said:
Unfortunately, once you have one VS it's hard to stop.
I'm already feeling the urge to get back on the ride. But I'll wait at least a day or two. :D

Thanks, everyone, for your comments! Now I know firsthand what a craftsman Art Fawcett is. Thanks, Art!
Steve

club30s

New in Town
white fedora

hello boys

here is a new delivery. there are not very many white hats so I thought I should post this.

hat1.png

hatfront.png

hatside.png

hattilted.png

I want to thank Brad Bowers for offering his help with this tough task and of course Art who (despite being very reluctant with this) accepted the project .

Brim is 2.5" and hatband is 1.5" wide

carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy