Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
So... I finally took the plunge, In hindsight I wish I would have done it from the very beginning, I wish I would have went big and not messed with these production hats at all.
artfawcett6.jpg

Hear hear!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Clossonrr; Nicely done. A well chosen VS. Versatile color and ribbon treatment. First of many VS's in your hat wearing life I suspect.

Rabbit; Thats how you wear a sahara felt! The more gentle dent works well with that warm colored hat. The tan/brown with french blue wardrobe colors really set well with the sahara. The hat is a great compliment. Well done. Gentile, styling man!

VS-BlueSmoke-w-17black_herrlicherjeans.jpg

You have a "tough guy" aura in the blue smoke pic. I love the bluesmoke hat.

Eric -

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks everybody so much! I am in love!

@Mitral: I did a lot of research on the granite color before I decided on it. Sometimes it looks brown/tan other times it looks grey. It was so unclear to me what the "true" color was, I was worried what was to come, but now that I have it in person I must say it is a MAGNIFICENT color and very versatile....

Hi

I don't own a work of Art (yet), but I wanted to comment on the Granite color. I specifically didn't order a hat in that color because of it's reputation for changing colors in different light. I also own a Silverbelly (bunny fur, factory second I think) that I turned into a Boss of the Plains. Silver belly also changes color in different light, but since it's my cowboy shooting, winter beater hat, I don't really care so much.

I DO like the style on the new Granite and Rabbit's new hat. I even like the feather, and I"m not much on feathers.

Later Y'all

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Clossonrr; Nicely done. A well chosen VS. Versatile color and ribbon treatment. First of many VS's in your hat wearing life I suspect.

Rabbit; Thats how you wear a sahara felt! The more gentle dent works well with that warm colored hat. The tan/brown with french blue wardrobe colors really set well with the sahara. The hat is a great compliment. Well done. Gentile, styling man!

VS-BlueSmoke-w-17black_herrlicherjeans.jpg

You have a "tough guy" aura in the blue smoke pic. I love the bluesmoke hat.

Eric -

A compliment, please being stated here, you remind me of a mixture of "make my day", and a young prince waiting for the limo to pick you up. It just really looks super the hat, jacket, jeans, works so very well. The hats you own...awesome.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you (I think?) LoveMyHats2 , and Eric.

I gave the Blue Smoke w/ 17 L black a tight front pinch, which makes it all the more suitable for casual wear like this.

The jacket is a well worn, washed-leather heavy cowhide. Leather jackets (just like raw denim and certain boots :)) aren't worth a plugged nickel unless they're well worn and conformed to the body. At least that's how I see it.

wmc

Familiar Face
I gave the Blue Smoke w/ 17 L black a tight front pinch, which makes it all the more suitable for casual wear like this.

Rabbit, very nice, both the Sahara and the Blue Smoke. I have the Blue Smoke and have
been thinking of giving it a tight pinch on the front like your's. My next VS may be a Sahara.

gqmagic: love both of your straws, especially the Milan! They suit you very well.

Bill

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you both. The Silvermist LITE gets a lot of wear during this rather cool and rainy spring/summer season.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit; Tuning in while I travel and I se your recent pics of the Silvermist and gray flannel. Dashing hat in the pic!

I now see the dimensions and what you were seeking in the profile of the hat. Sharp profile of the hat. Earlier in this thread you had posted some pics of fellows in a movie still . This hat cuts very close to that look, to my memory. Nicely done. I truly like the bigger rear height in this hat. With more rake the lighter color, silvermist, would appear, to my eye, as too "dandy." The silvermist, lighter color cuts an urbane image in your pic. Love the flannels and the linen tie. Nice jacket feature with the more casual patch pockets on the dressed up flannel. Again the pics of you wearing it better showcases the specific features of your hat.

Rabbit, you are neat and spruce in dress and bearing sir! THANKS again for the pics.

Eric -

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit; Tuning in while I travel and I se your recent pics of the Silvermist and gray flannel. Dashing hat in the pic!

I now see the dimensions and what you were seeking in the profile of the hat. Sharp profile of the hat. Earlier in this thread you had posted some pics of fellows in a movie still . This hat cuts very close to that look, to my memory. Nicely done. I truly like the bigger rear height in this hat. With more rake the lighter color, silvermist, would appear, to my eye, as too "dandy." The silvermist, lighter color cuts an urbane image in your pic. Love the flannels and the linen tie. Nice jacket feature with the more casual patch pockets on the dressed up flannel. Again the pics of you wearing it better showcases the specific features of your hat.

Rabbit, you are neat and spruce in dress and bearing sir! THANKS again for the pics.

Eric -

Eric, I quite agree with you on the subject of rake for this Silvermist. The 22 ligne ribbon plus diamond crease with only a little rake works very well for the very light-colored felts. A less wide ribbon (19 L) would work, too; it would magnify the perceived crown height, given the small amount of rake. My Silverbelly w/ dark grey is a 19 L ribbon and just this type of diamond crease.

The flannel jacket is quarter-lined; the patch pockets allow for still more ventilation than flap pockets, having no internal compartment.
Irrespective of this functional aspect, I enjoy mixing levels of dressy-ness (in jacket features vs. cloth material/ texture), in this case a solid flannel combined with patch pockets. I don't regard flannel cloth per se to be dressy. :)

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My new VS Dualist (Part 1)

This was my first VS hat and let me say, actually holding one in my hands is an incredible experience. Art truly is a master hatter!

OPEN CROWN: 6 INCHES TALL (The straightest block profile I've ever seen. I am in love with it)

BRIM WIDTH: 2 1/4 INCHES WIDE

RIBBON WIDTH: 2 1/8 INCHES WIDE

THANK YOU SO MUCH, ART!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE HAT!!!!

I creased the crown lower in front and higher in back to give that great early 1930's rake to it. Right now the front pinch Stands at about 4 1/2 inches tall, the rear crease is about 5 inches tall, and the highest point of the crown creased is.....5 1/4 inches tall. I wanted to give the crown styling cues from the mid-teens through the 20's/early 30's.

I asked Art to copy a picture that I found in the American Hatter publications from 1915. He copied the bow EXACTLY (He used 2 1/8 inch ribbon. The perfect combo for an early looking hat). I also asked if he could leave the bow a little "puffy" and not tack it down so taut as 40's/50's hats. I love how the puffy/loose bows of the early/mid-teens looked. He did that perfectly as well!!

I also wanted something a little different on the sweatband. I love how many vintage fedoras used rear lacing, rather than having the sweatband seam stitched. I asked Art if he could just tape the sweatband seam in back and do lacing which comes out and ties into a bow. He executed this PERFECTLY!! I absolutely love the way this looks.

Lastly, I wanted a liner in this hat. Its a summer hat, but I have seen several examples on the lounge of early Stetson panamas and other makers use light liners in their panama hats. The liner really dresses up the panama and give the hat a very "finished" look. I love that the liner is white with black piping. It just looks so elegant!

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH ART!!!!

Here's the hat in OPEN CROWN position....

DSC07524.jpg

DSC07526.jpg

DSC07546.jpg

DSC07547.jpg

DSC07549.jpg

DSC07566.jpg

DSC07550.jpg

DSC07551.jpg

DSC07553.jpg

DSC07552.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads