Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Montecristi 28x28 weave Part II

The 28x28 / 800wpsi (lower right) with my other VS Panamas: 24x24 / 600wpsi (upper left), 33x38 / 1250wpsi (lower left), and another 28x28 / 800wpsi (upper right).
As you may be able to see in the full resolution image (link below), weave count isn't everything. Evenness/ consistency of weave is a big factor. The 28x28 in the upper right looks finer than its weave count, more like a 900wpsi; the new acquisition looks closer to a 700 or 600wpsi. By the way, Art very decently sold it as a 600wpsi. :)

P1080351.jpg

Full resolution image

P1080330.jpg

P1080325.jpg

P1080309.jpg

P1080286.jpg

P1080283.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all for your kind words, Gentlemen.

Wow! A comparative shot with them all lined up would be nice. Are they all black ribbons?

D'Guy, I'll see what I can do about a comparative shot. I was meaning to take my standard pics against the cracked wall, but I have yet to figure out a way to give the fine Panamas enough support while they're resting on the metal lever. The finer ones are so soft that the crown pushes out very easily.

And yes, they're all black ribbons; somehow I still see grosgrain ribbons on the finer Panamas in much the same way as canopies on Whangee umbrellas... any color is permissible as long as it's black. :)
I regard the mid range Panamas (400-600wpsi, to give a rough idea) and especially the low count ones as the ideal playground for colored ribbons. But that's just an opinion.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Montecristi collection

The actual straw color of the individual Panama hats is rendered fairly accurately overall, with the limitation that the lighting is a little uneven (sunny afternoon, shot during moments of faint cloud cover). See the full resolution images for a better view of the weave.

Upper left 33x38, upper right 28x28, lower left 28x28 reddish straw (the new one), lower right 24x24.

VS-MontecristiPanamas_collage_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

33x38:

VS-Montecristi_33x38_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

28x28:

VS-Montecristi_28x28_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

28x28 reddish straw:

VS-Montecristi_28x28_reddish-straw_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

24x24:

VS-Montecristi_24x24_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The actual straw color of the individual Panama hats is rendered fairly accurately overall, with the limitation that the lighting is a little uneven (sunny afternoon, shot during moments of faint cloud cover). See the full resolution images for a better view of the weave.

Keep that baby out of the rain!

casechopper

This is hat that I purchased from Art over a year ago. I got this hat as a memorial to my son Max who died at birth with his twin sister Carlotta in 2008. Since then I've also had Art make another hat in memorial of her and some day when I have the camera available I'll put some pictures of that hat up as well.

I told Art that I was a big fan of RLK's custom that he'd done based on an old advertisement and I also mentioned that I really liked the idea of a velour finish. What art made for me is a powder blue scratch finish that is similar to RLK's hat but with some differences (scratch finish, underwelt instead of overwealt, and much larger brim size). The overall concept was to get something that would look really cool to a little boy and, in some ways represent the little boy that isn't around to see it in person.

The crown is 6" and the brim is 2 15/16"

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

casechopper

Thanks guys. Max was a really special kid. I had about an hour with him before he passed. He was a real fighter and every time I wear this hat I remember him.
My plan has been to get a custom hat made for each of my kids with characteristics that represent them. The first two hats I had made by Art for my twins because they're not here and it helps to remember them. I then got a hitchhiker from Art to represent my 2nd oldest daughter Camilla because the tough natural felt just fits perfectly with her tough personality and olive skin color. I have two more daughters that I haven't had hats made for and I also have a son who will be born next month so there'll be at least three more hats to represent my most important collection, my children.

The Carlotta hat is a sunset suede finish with a burgundy ribbon done in a geometric design. It has almost the same dimensions as the Max hat. I'll see about getting some photos up in the next few days.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
And yes, they're all black ribbons; somehow I still see grosgrain ribbons on the finer Panamas in much the same way as canopies on Whangee umbrellas... any color is permissible as long as it's black. :). I regard the mid range Panamas (400-600wpsi, to give a rough idea) and especially the low count ones as the ideal playground for colored ribbons.

:eeek::eeek: Does Art do re-ribboning!? ;):D

DSC_9777.jpg

BDP

New in Town
Gents,

Not the greatest pic in the world, but a nice candid shot of me wearing my rebuilt Montecristi Art worked on while producing my new VS Pecan... nothing like a Panama hat during the dog-days of summer....
7666665634_5549414b64_k.jpg

Casechopper, very touching story... some day you will be reunited... that is my prayer... blessings to you!
Best,
Brad

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Gentlemen for keeping this thread alive. I haven't been logging on for a few weeks for personal reasons and in the last week I have been getting quite a few emails asking where i've been so here goes.

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I announce that the love of my life and I have separated after almost 30 years of being together. I have moved off the ranch and am in the final stages ( I hope) of setting up the hat shop in Central Point, Or. My 800 number still reaches me but there is a new address posted on my website. I am officially in business but not at the pace of the past for a bit longer. My wife is staying on the ranch and we remain friends so hopefully it won't take long to get my attitude right and get back to work doing what I love most, being creative with hats.
Please, if you have comments on my situation, lets talk privately, OK
Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy