Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

bulldog1935

Suspended
Below is a picture of a hat that Art made me a few months ago. It is a 100% beaver dressweight in sliverbelly. It has a 2 3/4" brim and a 5 1/2" open crown which I have put in a cattleman's crease. I haven't had a chance to wear it much because it has been so hot around here. The past few days have been cool enough to wear it some. The second picture was yesterday on a drill site in south Texas. Unfortunately my pictures don't do this hat justice. It is a beautiful hat. Thanks Art!

VSSilverbelly200.jpg

that's a very nice job - solves the problem of a 4" brim, which I guess has its place, but a smaller brim is far more useful in an everyday hat.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I really appreciate it. Art is the one who deserves the compliments though. All I did was crease it and put it on!

Stetson Open Roads used to be very common in the Texas oil fields years ago. Especially among the old wildcatters of the 40's and 50's. You don't see them any more in the oil fields. I wore that hat the other day to a meeting with an old geologist. He is probably in his late 80's and the first thing he did was compliment my "Open Road". I told him it wasn't really an Open Road and we spent the first hour of the meeting looking at my hat and him showing me old pictures of him wearing Open Roads on well sites 50 years ago. This fella knows his hats and he said it was probably the finest hat he had ever seen.

Dan, just like Tom stated, the dimensions of my hat are similar to the old Open Roads. When creased, the bottom of the valley on mine is about 4 3/8". That is perfect for me and doesn't hit the top of my head. The bottom of the valley on new Open Roads are too low for me and hit the top of my head.

RBH, your picture is almost identical! The Campdraft looks great. Where was that rig?

Landman

One Too Many
Like to see comparison of this against the 20X Open Road from Paris Hatters....

That's a great idea. When I get a chance I'll take some pictures and measurements. I can tell you right now though, there is no similarity in felt. Art's dressweight pure beaver is heads above the 20X.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Well me and arts vs 100 Stetson whippet project finally came in and I must say wow art really mailed this hat, I asked art to make a Stetson whippet style hat but with what he thought Stetson would do if they made one. And I must say WOW!!!! Art made the most beautiful whippet clone!! Im wearing the hat now and pictures will soon follow need a good camera to catch the beauty of this hat. THANKS ALOT ART ITS MY BEST HAT!

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I can't look at the hat, the background is killing me! So many guitars and hats, so little time................That's the second owner VS I'm referring to.

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Here's a shot of my VS Hitchhiker that Art made for me several months back. Since I live close by, I was able to go for an in-person fitting. That was lots of fun and the hat is great. I'm really enjoying it.
20121017_214916.jpg

53Effie

A-List Customer
Thanks guys. I like the nutria. It is a little more stiff than I am used to, but holds it's shape well. The natural color seems to go pretty well with a variety of outerwear colors, making a versatile hat.

Thanks guys. I like the nutria. It is a little more stiff than I am used to, but holds it's shape well. The natural color seems to go pretty well with a variety of outerwear colors, making a versatile hat.
I agree about the stiffness compared to a beaver dress weight. This nutria blend feels stout & durable like an Akubra. I have the natural in Boss of the Plains that I got Art to make me & the olive in the Journeyman. They both feel like they can take the elements head on....pun intended.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi gtdean48. I haven't seen the boss of the plains hat before. Could you post a photo? I just sent an email to Art yesterday 2 days ago asking about doing a BOTP with the natural nutria felt.

Hi gtdean48. I haven't seen the boss of the plains hat before. Could you post a photo? I just sent an email to Art yesterday 2 days ago asking about doing a BOTP with the natural nutria felt.
Sure Sam, but it'll be Sunday at the soonest. I'm off to deer hunt after work today.
I went with the original 4" crown, 3 3/4" pencil curled. Art did his typical excellent job...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy