Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Astro Boy Goes to School

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Astro Boy, written by Osamu Tezuka, was first published ini 1952, and the TV anime series started 11years later.
According to the original plot, he was born on April 7th, 2003, and starts school in April 2010, as the school year in Japan starts in April.
So, he started school today. He became a first grade student of Totsuka Dai-san Shogakko (Totuska No.3 elementary school) located in Takada no Baba, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, which is the location of the imaginary Ministry of Science where Astro Boy (鉄腕アトム, Tetsuwan Atom, iron-armed Atom as he is named in Japan) was created. Here's the link to one of the news clips broadcast today. In fact, this story was broadcast in all the major news programs today :)
http://mainichi.jp/select/wadai/news/20100407k0000m040064000c.html
http://www.asahi.com/national/update/0406/TKY201004060435.html

Hondo

One Too Many
Not an Astro Boy fan, it was more for younger children, but I am a fan of Japanese anime or art work, amazing, I do remember Kimba the white Lion lol
Thank you for the info, wishing you well and kind regards. :)

Talbot

One Too Many
Astroboy, Gigantor and Marine Boy were very popular down under in the mid 60's.

Not anime', but Shintaro has quite a following among my generation as well. I was casually chatting about it with a coworker a while back and he pulled a 'Tombay of the Mist' gum card out of his wallet!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
LaMedicine, interesting insight on the classic Astro Boy series! 2010, wow. People fifty-sixty years ago had a much different perspective on how the future (what is now the present) would turn out to be. Anyway, I haven't seen all that much of Astro Boy (it's actually on YouTube now, I believe), but two anime series that I have always liked are Cowboy Bebop (made about ten years ago), and Lupin III (a series almost as old as Astro Boy, dating from the late 60s).

I do remember Kimba the white Lion

Didn't Disney's The Lion King essentially steal from this film?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy