Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what wind velocity...

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

*****What's a trolley?

I suspect that Tomasso has it exactly right when suggesting that the common element between wind trolleys and trolley cars is that they both involve cables. Also consider 'trolling,' which relates to fishing by setting out a baited line which runs behind a moving boat. That's kind of cable-y.

If you're into some of the more traditional forms of singing, you might use the word troll to refer to singing the parts of a round in sequence, as if they were strung on a line. That's how we get the line "troll the ancient Yuletide carol" before stumbling into another clutch of fa-la-las.

The original meaning of the word 'troll' seems to sit somewhere between the idea of trailing something, such as a cable, and rolling along in the sense of rambling.

Whatever it "really" means, a wind trolley on a hat isn't the most common appliance in the world.

*****A chin strap for an Akubra Banjo Patterson?

Nonentity wishes it could be possible to have a chin strap on an Akubra without punching holes in the brim.

OK, Nonentity, your wish is granted!

What you do, is get a chin strap (more commonly sold these days under the name of "stampede string") that uses the cotter pin system instead of the wraparound system.

Wraparound stampede strings wrap around the brim, then go through holes in the brim before they cinch around your neck. This isn't so good for keeping rain from coming through a brim! So someone invented the cotter pin system a few years ago.

The cotter pin is a little brass clip that you can clip to loops on your stampede string, then thread between the stitches of the sweatband of your Akubra. Once it's in there, just bend the two halves of the cotter pin apart. This attaches the stampede string firmly to your hat, at least until you decide to re-use the stampede string on another hat, that is.

Cotter pins can be re-used a couple of times that way. And they only cost a few cents at any hardware store.

As for the stampede strings themselves, you can easily find braided horsehair ones on the Internet. I suggest you try to get short ones. I bought a few 24" ones recently, but they hang down almost to my belt buckle.

This looks, well, really stupid. :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy