Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire rules of ettiquete

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by Marlowe
As to what "fashionistas" from TV critic shows or "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" say, it's a load of hooey. When they say something like ""We wanted to update your look," what they usually mean is, "we want to sucker you into wearing a bunch of fashionable stuff that will be oh-so-five-minutes-ago in no time, and then maybe we can sucker you into buying some more."

It's important to remember the difference between fashion and style. Fashion looks good now, but you'll be ashamed to have people see you in photographs wearing those silly things in years to come. Style always looks good.

Agreed. Well said.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
AGREED

It's important to remember the difference between fashion and style. Fashion looks good now, but you'll be ashamed to have people see you in photographs wearing those silly things in years to come. Style always looks good.

I should burn the Grad Night at Disneyland photo of me in my tan polyester vested 70's suit, print silk shirt, brown boots, and tan tie.

I puke when I see that picture.

up196

A-List Customer
An 1897 indeed . . .

Originally posted by jamespowers
That shotgun looks like an old model 1897 Winchester. Is it?
No, no one's going to get that hat. Yes, it is a genuine Winchester 1897, an original riot model manufactured in 1918. The little red item near the bottom of the picture, it's an ejected fired shell, and not visible in my right front pocket is a Colt Detective Special made in 1930. My buddies and I try to dress appropriately to what we're shooting

up196

A-List Customer
Waiting my turn . . .

Here I am looking like a dork waiting to shoot. The guy behind me was shooting an Australian L1A1 rifle yesterday, hence the Aussie bush hat.

Re: An 1897 indeed . . .

Originally posted by up196
No, no one's going to get that hat. Yes, it is a genuine Winchester 1897, an original riot model manufactured in 1918. The little red item near the bottom of the picture, it's an ejected fired shell, and not visible in my right front pocket is a Colt Detective Special made in 1930. My buddies and I try to dress appropriately to what we're shooting

I have the long version of yours. The exposed hammer gives them away. :D My wife loves shooting it---believe it or not. ;)
I have an Iver Johnson for the old pinkerton work. :D

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
up196, that is so cool! You look like one of the
G men that gunned down Bonny and Clyde. That straw boater is sweet! I have two of them. One of them is from the teens or early 20's and the other is from the 30's.

Fun stuff! I would love to get a hold of a tommy gun, but you know that the US don't really like guys having them around.

Any way, more photos would be sweet!

Root.

up196

A-List Customer
Boy did we hijack this thread . . .

. . . like a truckload of needle beer! Ha Ha Ha.

Originally posted by jamespowers
I have the long version of yours. The exposed hammer gives them away. My wife loves shooting it---believe it or not. ;)
I have an Iver Johnson for the old pinkerton work.

Ah yes the Pinkertons. When I first hired out at the RR, we still had a '97 in the strongroom. I tried to get it, but someone else had first crack at it. I did get a couple of UP revolvers, though.

Originally posted by Wild Root
I would love to get a hold of a tommy gun, but you know that the US don't really like guys having them around.

Any way, more photos would be sweet!

My cohort dressed like the Aussie has a 1921/28 overstamp Thompson. We didn't bring it bacause the range we were on doesn't allow full auto. I'll get some more photos next time we shoot it, though.

But for now, the "Eliot Ness Collection of Fashion Accessories"

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Re: An 1897 indeed . . .

Originally posted by up196

But....what do you wear when you're shooting that M-16 (that's what it looks like, anyway) pictured at the lower right of the photo?

up196

A-List Customer
Re: Re: An 1897 indeed . . .

But....what do you wear when you're shooting that M-16 (that's what it looks like, anyway) pictured at the lower right of the photo?
That one isn't mine, anymore at least. I sold it to finance the Detective Special in the pic with the Prohibition Agent badge. It is a current Armalite, so with no historical context, anything goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana