Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aunt Sammy - Housekeeper's Chat

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I've been reading the scripts for this US Dept of Agriculture radio program (which you can find here), and I'd love to hear Aunt Sammy giving her chat. I don't think I've ever heard it as a bumper on any of my radio programs from the same years.

Does anyone happen to know a place that might have digital files of Housekeeper's Chat? I checked archive.org first, and after searching several OTR sites, I didn't find anything. When I do find articles on Aunt Sammy, it mentions that the author can't find a recording.

3fingers

One Too Many
I don't know of anywhere that has the program. Aunt Sammy was voiced by many different women. USDA provided the script but each station had their own local Aunt Sammy so there was probably no archive of recordings to save. The recipe books are still available but unfortunately the voice of Aunt Sammy may be lost.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, that's pretty much the size of it. Very little local radio survives from the period, compared to the more familiar network stuff -- and almost none before 1936 or so. I've never encountered a single example of an "Aunt Sammy" broadcast in forty + years of looking for such things. You can guess at what they might have sounded like from listening to the voices of the various women who did home-economics broadcasts at the time, some of which do exist, but none of these are specifically "Aunt Sammy."

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Such a shame. I was aware that many women were the voice of Aunt Sammy, and that a lot of it was local, thanks to the articles I read on her, and the wikipedia entry. But Lizzie, if you haven't found any recordings, I'm thinking it safe to say they're not there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner