Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AUSTRALIA

lady

New in Town
Please, I'm new to this..
I need to know where are the Australians like me?
I'm in Sydney, but anywhere in Oz will do. If there are any aussies out there please tell me where you buy from, where you get your hair done (I do mine myself out of frustration) and are there any good vintage/retro clothes websites?? The american and english ones are so great but everything on the Australian websites (that I can find) are trashy. ebay is good, but sometimes you just want a guaranteed buy.
Also, speaking of Australia, regardless of what you thought of the movie, did you love Nicole's outfits?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi Lady,

Welcome to the lounge.

The best place to check for locals is in the Events forum of the Lounge. I do know there are a few ladies here from your continent, and many of them (like other places) plan get- togetheres from there.

Good luck.

LD

Mojito

One Too Many
Hallo Lady - another Sydneysider here. There are quite a few Aussies on the lounge, including several ladies and gentlemen from Sydney, and we do meet up!

I don't know a lot of online stores based in Oz for vintage...I tend to source a lot of my vintage from overseas where I've built up relationships with dealers (and of course haunt eBay!) but there are some great local sources as well, and some wonderful local dealers. One of them, Madame Circa (of Circa Vintage) is a member of the Fedora Lounge. She's Melbourne based, but does come to Sydney. She doesn't have an online store, but does have a wonderful blog and, if you communicate with her, I'm sure she'd be willing to help you out - I've bought some lovely pieces from her. Her Melbourne shop is divine, and she is the author of a soon to be published and much anticipated book on vintage:

Circa Vintage

Here in Sydney you probably know Rokit at the Rocks - the website isn't updated too often, but there's some great stock in the store.

I'm also partial to Coco Repose (website still under construction, but it has contact details) - my friends and I have bought some lovely things from this Surry Hills store. Phone ahead to Jessica to discuss any specific things you're after.

There's also the Sydney Vintage Clothing shop, but I only drop in there from time to time (it doesn't have much from my era).

Have you been going to the big vintage clothing fairs that have started in the last couple of years?

There's the Sydney Vintage Clothing, Jewellery and Textiles Fair held out a Canterbury Racecourse - lots of dealers, some of whom don't have storefronts, and some absolute finds!

Then there's The Way We Wear fairs organised around the country, including Sydney at Hunters Hill, by the Melbourne vintage traders Seams Old (from whom I've also had some great purchases).

Both these fairs are held a couple of times a year, but there is the newly opened Leichhardt vintage monthly clothing fair and the Kirribili Vintage Quarterly Market...I haven't had much feedback on the former (has anyone here been?), but have heard some good things about Kirribili.

lady

New in Town
Thanks!

Mojito, you are the best.
That post was so helpful. My friend and I are hoping to get to the Sydney vintage show this year.
I think I will have to do what you do and try to source a alot of things from overseas, it seems cheaper even with postage and conversion rates!
Although....my boyfriend got me a 30s telephone table for like $30 at an auction recently, so there is some stuff around!

vintage_bel

New in Town
I'm in Sydney too!

Hi,

I have been wanting to ask this question myself. Thanks for doing it and to the others for their info.

Where in Sydney are you?

I'm on the Northern Beaches but there are not too many other vintage minded people around here!

We she organise a drink somewhere.

Bel

lady

New in Town
ha ha. No there aren't too many vintage minded people around there at all, I used to live there but I live near Epping now. Yeah we should organise a Sydney get together, I think we can do it on the Events forum..

vintage_bel

New in Town
How exciting!!!!!

We should go somewhere vintage like, Collaroy Cinemas or to the Orpheum. I don't really know of many other places that have that sort of a date or feel still. What do you think?lol

Mojito

One Too Many
You know, I've been thinking I needed to take a photo of the Collaroy cinema to put up in the Deco Cinema thread in the Golden Age forum!

It would probably be the furthest venue north on the beaches that still retains some of the right atmosphere (or did when I last saw a movie there, years ago). There are still a few pubs on the North side that have that deco/moderene exterior - I often meet up with friends who live at Crows Nest in the Union - but unfortunately the exterior seems to be as far as it goes...inside they're all contemporary winebarish.

I haven't renewed my membership yet in the Art Deco Society of NSW, but I should do so, and hopefully they'd have some good suggestions for a venue or event - they usually try to put several of these on, including tours, and they do get access to some buildings not otherwise open to the public. I'll also keep an eye out on the Historic Houses Trust bulletins...they do some great Golden Age type events. I went with a group of girls to the Femme Fatale function they hosted in conjunction with Sydney Police Museum - we were encouraged to dress as Femme Fatales, and had a wonderful night. We should start the next Sydney event post - dont' think anything really became to organised for the last one (have we all got summer ennui? I'm just back from a lazy Saturday afternoon at the beach, and the only thing vintage about me at the moment is that I'm wearing lounging pajamas!)

swinggal

One Too Many
Hi Lady,

I'm one of the Aussie regulars here and I'm from Perth. I'm a swing dancer too so go to alot of the dance camps in other states and do a fair bit of shopping.

One of my dancing friends and her boyfriend run SwingTime Australia. They are HUGE vintage buffs, so much so that Sharon runs her own shop and sells reproduction clothing from the 40s and 50s made from original vintage patterns. The name of the shop is RetroSpec'd Clothing and they are located at 486 King Street, Newtown in Sydney. The website is http://www.retrospecd.com/ They are also the Aussie supplier for Remix Shoes from the USA.

One of my favourite vintage stores in Australia is in Melbourne called 'Old Hat Antiques'. They have clothes and accessories from the 1920s to the 60s and it's one of the most amazing collections I've seen. Been 2 years since I've been there but she had some awesome things back then.

Blondie

Practically Family
I am from Australia too, but now live in the U.S, i used to find alot of good vintage at Rozelle, Glebe & Surry Hills markets, i presume these are still going !

vintage_bel

New in Town
Ladies,

Thanks for all the great info.

Collaroy Cinema is looking pretty thread-bare inside, which is a shame.

The Orpheum is the only one keeping up the standard. I know that every few months they have a old movie/orchestra Sunday afternoon concert. For example, in February it's music of Gershwin and then they show Funny Face (Fred and Audrey).

We could organise a group to go and see the next one. I'll find when it is and start a thread in the events section.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Hi and welcome from Aus!
I am an American living in Perth. I do still find things at the op shoppes here, clothes, shoes, handbags. For the gents, some of the Army surplus stores carry nice things, especially sweaters and casual wear.
I do order off the internet, but not as much since I am leaving my job soon to start my own business.
I do my own hair. I just have a basic Middy cut. I took some info from an interwebs scan of an old magazine and my fantastic hair dresser was able to do the cut with no problems. My only vintage do right now, though, is Victory Rolls. I am going to try the Happy Pompadour when I have time, but I might go for a Louise Brooks cut soon as I am sooooo busy and the longer hair is sort of a PITA.
HTH.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Hi Lady,
I'm in Melbourne so most of the tips I can help you with are located here. I write a personal fashion and style blog you can check out here and have vintage hair tutorials that I post on Youtube.
As far as vintage clothing goes, my favorite shop is Circa Vintage (as Mojito mentioned) in Melbourne and I also make a lot of reproduction pieces myself. I've just started listing my first pieces on Etsy too.

I'm always happy to do some interstate meet ups if your down here too. Any excuse to hit the town.. or the shops!

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
Just recently found the lounge and have spent the last week working my way through the thread of the amazing outfits people have made.

Anyway from Melbourne Australia here, down on the Peninsula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay