Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Dollar weak again...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Sam shipped the BG CD last Fri. XPRESS SHIPPING. Supposed to b 3-4 days... Cant track it. AU POST as well as USPS still show the hat in MELBOURNE!!! Whats that abt...?

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
I'll snap some pictures of the hat tomorrow and post a review. Here it is on my head today at work.
2b65265f937621348467d4cc15b40e76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Here is my review of the Akubra CEO in cruiser gray. (I’m not usually very good at this sort of thing, so please forgive my rambling.)
The first thing that struck me was that this hat was extremely soft and immediately comfortable. After a few minutes on my head, I forgot that I was wearing it, except when I looked up and saw the brim, which hangs down a little lower than any of my other fedoras. Speaking of which, the brim is 2 ¾ inches wide and has a bound edge, which adds to the hats distinctiveness to me. The crown is (as I measure it) 4 ¾ inches tall, which is a little shorter than I like it, but it works for this hat, IMHO. Overall I like this hat, but it feels a little off when not wearing it with a suit. I can wear my Fed IV’s with just about anything from casual to formal, and they look right to me. The CEO just seems like a hat that you would wear with a suit, but maybe not so much with a pair of overalls. It has already made its place in my hat rotation for work, but it is doesn't look like it’s going to get much weekend wear. I would really like to see this hat in Moonstone or Brown as I would definitely buy one, good exchange rate or not.

After loading the pictures I noticed what appeared to be pins in the ends of the ribbon (on the right). I had not noticed them before, and just looked at the hat and could not see them until I held it close to a lamp, where they appear to be a single stitch each.

Attachments

• march 1 050.jpg
    march 1 050.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 178
  • march 1 052.jpg
    march 1 052.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 179
  • march 1 057.jpg
    march 1 057.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 163
  • march 1 055.jpg
    march 1 055.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Scott! It's a darn nice looking hat. I like the fact it has a 2 3/4" brim. I think it's the color combo that makes it seem more dressy. Give it a try with weekend wear, though. It may look great with denim overalls! :p

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
Scott, does the CEO allow you snap the brim up at the back? I presume that you cannot do it without steaming/wetting the hat.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
My First Akubra!

Received my Fed IV Deluxe in Dark Brown a few days ago. Hand bashed it last night and have been wearing it and enjoying it. I'm pretty happy with the shaping. I'm just not sure why there are some ridges/wrinkles at the top of the front pinches. So what do you guys think?
Wilkey
IMG_7710.JPG IMG_7724.jpg IMG_7725r.JPG

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I was a little anxious about shaping it myself. This was not only my first Akubra but my first open crown fedora. I played with it a bit dry, trying a few approaches to the dent and the top and the end result was something I'm happy with. I set it with steam and then shaped the brim with steam. I went for a pentagonal bash up top with a slight bump at the rear of the top surface to give my head a bit more breathing room. You can't hardly see it, but it takes the liner cleanly off my hair.
Wilkey

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Sorry for the delay in responding, its been crazy at work and I've been off the forum for the last few days.

Scott, does the CEO allow you snap the brim up at the back? I presume that you cannot do it without steaming/wetting the hat.

That is correct, I tried and it snaps right back down. I was thinking of steaming it back up, but it has grown on me like it is.

"Good review Scott. Thanks.
What is the width of the hatband ribbon?"

The ribbon is one inch wide.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Money-wise, GREAT time to buy Akubras from Australia!

Have you guys noticed the favorable Aussie vs. US dollar exchange rate right now?
In the 5 years or so I've been buying hats from Aussie sellers, I don't think I've ever seen lower prices in US dollars.

For anybody thinking about a new Akubra, now looks like an excellent time to pull the trigger!

Duper

Practically Family
Too our American friends might I suggest planning a lovely Fall getaway to Canada. Our Canadian dollar is not fairing well against the US greenback either. Vancouver, Quebec City, Toronto all await at a terrific discount.

Also on the plus side I would have more hat wearing folks around. Gets lonely up here sometimes.

,,,,Mike in Canada

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
Too our American friends might I suggest planning a lovely Fall getaway to Canada. Our Canadian dollar is not fairing well against the US greenback either. Vancouver, Quebec City, Toronto all await at a terrific discount.

Also on the plus side I would have more hat wearing folks around. Gets lonely up here sometimes.

,,,,Mike in Canada

No worries there.. I go up to Cape Breton anytime I can swing it. I'll retire up there if I can find a way.

Think you guys might have convinced me to order another.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran