Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation Leathercraft custom-made Irvin motorcycle jacket

Norsksea

New in Town
I ordered my Irvin bomber jacket from Aviation Leathercraft in January . I wanted a custom-made Irvin for motorcycle jacket riding in cold weather. I received the jacket and it is exactly what I asked for with the fit I wanted for motorcycle riding. A trim fitting jacket that didn't have wool showing on the sleeves or waist and sleeve zippers that when zippered would not be able to slide over my hands. The jacket is made from the lightweight sheepskin which is 3/4 thick rather than the heavyweight which is 1 inch thick.
When I received the jacket I thought I would wear it just zipped up, collar flat with a regular motorcycle helmet that goes over the ears and visor. But I have a 3/4 carbon-fiber helmet with leather straps over the ears that works perfectly with the jacket collar up and cinched. I can put on gloves and zipper the sleeves over the gloves and I get no cold air drafting anywhere through the jacket wearing just a Tee shirt out riding in 40 degree going really fast.
I love this jacket.
Frank
IrvinJacket1.jpg

IrvinJacket2.jpg

IrvinJacket3.jpg

IrvinJacket5.jpg

IrvinJacket7.jpg

IrvinJacket8.jpg

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
That looks wonderful! I know they aren't authentic, but I think your mods make the jacket more stylish and understated than the originals, especially with the clean waist and sleeves. The pockets are tasteful too, and don't distract from the design.Nice job!

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
That works well. And looks great. I had an Aero pre-war Irvin made with a smaller collar to wear on my RAF 1944 Norton. That works ok and the collar stays up with the half face lid. Have to say my Gauntlets only just fit over the cuffs!!

Not sure if sheepskin is the toughest leather for biking, but full race kit on a Harley or vintage bike to me just does not feel or look right.

James.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
That jacket looks very toasty. I like my "standard" Irvin jacket for cold weather riding but your modifications make the jacket even better suited for motorcycling. Very nice; ride safe out there!

Noel

Norsksea

New in Town
Thanks for the replies.
The fit of the jacket is perfect for me, meaning I can raise my hands and arms straight up over my head and the jacket body does not move at all.
I am also amazed at the construction of the hand-warmer pockets. There is no bulking to the jacket because of the pockets. The outer jacket skin wool under the pockets is shaved off and another sheepskin layer is sown in over the shaved pocket. I thought that was very cleaver compared to to some jackets with pockets sown and tacked in on the inside.
I agree this is not a regular Irvin so I didn't post this in the REPRO Irvin thread. Having the wool not showing on sleeve cuffs and jacket bottom is something Aviation Leathercraft had done before.
Leslie Irvin was the inventor and I think if he rode a motorcycle would have modified a jacket to ride in.
Frank
Pocketinside.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy