Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation Leathercraft Irvin

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You can almost say that about the ALC "Irvin" as well, Deacon. Although I have not handled as many Irvins as Andrew, I have seen and worn my share, and I can tell you that the originals were not as thick, clumsy and heavy as the ALC version. By far!
So it seems like the replicates thought: OK they want sheepskin jackets - let's give them some sheepskin!!!!
After having had a heavy ALC Irvin - as my first attempt with Irvins - for some 10 years I sold it and talked ALC into making their Irvin model from the lighter fleece, they used for a "sort of flying jacket, with side pockets etc. They went along with it and I believe they made some for several others after I posted pics of my (light) ALC Irvin. Although ALC is not as accurate as ELC or Aces High - the weight and feel of that jacket was so much better! Later I sold that one of and got myself a WPG - which was a disaster. Flipmpsy and cheap. Sold it off and bought myself a AERO from Scotland. Big heavy stuff as well, and with a fleece that looked like a poodle coming straight from the hairdresser. Gave it the hot water treatment. That did it. The fleece curled, the jacket was not as thick and cumbersome anymore. Had that for some years, but was still looking for that "Holy Grail" replica Irvin. (Yes I know. I am a sucker for accuracy) Ordered one of the first Irvins Jon turned out with Aces High. That jacket - to me - is the "Holy Grail Replica". There - you got the whole story. So sorry for rambling along here...

Deacon211

One Too Many
No, that's awesome and is really quite helpful.

After looking at the pics of the model, my wife is still leaning towards the regular fleece. When I said it may be too warm for her, she gave me that, "Do you know me at all?" look for even suggesting that there was something that would make her too warm.

I may still try to sway her to the thinner fleece, but it's what the wife wants, which I'm sure is true in any language. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alsendk

A-List Customer
Deacon, the Irvin pictures on the ALC Aviation Leathercraft site is a disaster, they look like plastic. Very strange, and bad business strategy, to post pictures like this. The company- Aero leather clothing also has poor irvin pictures on their site. Fortunally they look far better in reality, as you can see on the long thread-called; ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Deacon211

One Too Many
Deacon, the Irvin pictures on the ALC Aviation Leathercraft site is a disaster, they look like plastic. Very strange, and bad business strategy, to post pictures like this. The company- Aero leather clothing also has poor irvin pictures on their site. Fortunally they look far better in reality, as you can see on the long thread-called; ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

So, is the model's coat more representative of the actual jacket? It looks pretty good on her, but I don't know if that's a new model or and older one that has some seasoning to it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
No, that's awesome and is really quite helpful.

After looking at the pics of the model, my wife is still leaning towards the regular fleece. When I said it may be too warm for her, she gave me that, "Do you know me at all?" look for even suggesting that there was something that would make her too warm.

I may still try to sway her to the thinner fleece, but it's what the wife wants, which I'm sure is true in any language. ;)

Deacon - Take it from me. A grown and rather strong man - who has worn both types of ALC Irvins for many years. The heavy fleece is HEAVY! Meaning thick, almost impossible to bend your arms at the beginning of the breaking.in and WARM! Like steaming hot. Besides that it's stiff and cumbersome. But if you ask ALC to make an Irvin model - not the lightweight model - with side pockets and no belt or zippers on sleeves - your wife will love you for it. She gets an Irvin jacket that looks like and feels like an Irvin jacket should. It's absolutely warm enough, she won't drown in it and she can move around in it. Wether she wants side pockets or not is of course up to here - but I don't think accuracy is your game either. Or am I wrong. Because if it is, the ALC is not the best repro. (Then you should go for Eastmann or - even better - Aces High.)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks again, Spitfire.

Turns out it's a wash anyway. In ironing out the details with Jill from ALC, she said that, in the size I was ordering for my wife, they would normally use the lighter fleece in any case as everything you mentioned would be even MORE pronounced as the size goes down.

So it looks like we're getting the regular Irvin with pockets (wife likes the pockets and the belt) in the lighter weight fleece.

I really appreciate all the help with this. I could have never waded through all the permutations of Irvin's without some sage advice.

I will of course post pics here and on the repro thread when we get it in, to serve as a reference.

Deacon

alsendk

A-List Customer
I`m beginning to have doubts here, whether this picture of her, wearing this ALC Irvin has the thinner fleece, or not.
Perhaps Søren, or other former ALC owners can help me out here. In my opinion it looks like the same thickness of fleece, as on MY jacket, but I could be wrong. But Deacon...this is how ALC Irvins look like. Very well build indeed, and made to last for generations I think.
obs/ double click for bigger picture
FlightJacket_4 (1).jpg
1-KIF_3923.jpg
1-KIF_3935-001.jpg
1-KIF_3904.jpg
1-KIF_3898.jpg

At xmas time I had the opportunity to try on a polish jazz friends genuine ww2 Irvin. It actually made me feel better about my ALC. Much as Søren points out, the originals had thinner fleece, but this wartime model also was much more fragile, and the hide was somewhat stiff. That said, Andrew have presented here some extremely nice looking Irvins, so they exist indeed. But having tried a real one on, finally made me much more happy about my own ALC Irvin
jodpur6_940.jpg
jodpur4_940.jpg

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
I am almost 99,9% sure this is my "Lightweight" ALC Irvin. Not much difference to the eye - but most certainly to the feel, flexibility and the weight.

I agree with you Søren. Obviously this is a much more wartime like fleece - thickness wise, and I bet it was still very warm. A fine picture of you and the jacket btw!
Could you possibly, when time allows it, take some close ups of your new Aces High, to compare the hide with this ALC hide. Would be interesting to see the difference in grain and colour

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hi Alan - I have posted several in the repro Irvin thread. (Post# 1073 date 09.25.2013)
If you want to see how it has broken in, I'll be happy to do some closeups one of these days. And then I'll - again - post them in the Repro Irvin thread. (Where they belong) So look out there.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Hi Alan - I have posted several in the repro Irvin thread. (Post# 1073 date 09.25.2013)
If you want to see how it has broken in, I'll be happy to do some closeups one of these days. And then I'll - again - post them in the Repro Irvin thread. (Where they belong) So look out there.

Roger Søren

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks for all that...I'm increasingly liking the ALC Irvin for the wife. It looks like a really rich and comfortable leather.

Soren (I apologize for the spelling...I can't seem to get the proper "O") I agree with alsendk. For some reason, you look like you were made to wear the Irvin.

I'd love to see the pics as well. I'm slowly breaking my ELC Irvin in as much as the weather allows, but it looks a long way from becoming the second skin that yours looks to be.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Alright folks,

My wife's ALC just showed up. Overall, a nice jacket. It's clear up front that the ALC isn't quite an Eastman. The leather itself is a bit thinner and softer than ELCs. But, for all that, that is probably exactly suited to my wife as she wants a soft, comfortable jacket that doesn't need three years in Blenheims to get broken in. The fur is very soft...finer than Eastman's, more mink than shearling. Again, perhaps not accurate, but very nice for the wife.

The only thing I would have wished to be different is that the jacket wears long (my wife is 5'3"). The belt, which cinches nicely around my waist on my ELC, sits more hip height on the wife, which kind of undoes the point of the belt I think. Still, it keeps her behind warm, which has always been a gripe of hers about flight type jackets.

Anyway, she loves it, and I think it will last a good long time and only get to look better as the years go by.

Here's some static shots. I'll get her to model it a bit later in the week.

Thanks again for the help!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like it's just the ticket for your wife Deacon.

My other half, after being swamped in my ELC, has intimated in the past about perhaps wanting a "girl's Irvin" down the line and this might be just the go ;)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Sounds like it's just the ticket for your wife Deacon.

My other half, after being swamped in my ELC, has intimated in the past about perhaps wanting a "girl's Irvin" down the line and this might be just the go ;)

I think this would be the perfect wife/girlfriend jacket. It's period enough to have the flavor of the originals, but softened to a non-enthusiasts taste. It still appears to be very well made and looks extremely comfortable. :)

alsendk

A-List Customer
Hope your wife will like the jacket. A good thing it is, that she hardly needs to break it in.
It appears to me, that you ordered the thinner fleece for her. Fleece will probably start to curl when used outdoor in various weather conditions...like mine.
1-KIF_3935-001.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks Alsendk. It is the thinner fleece. The rep at ALC told me that it was the customary choice for the ladies jackets...lest it be too bulky I gather.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guys, this is all well and fine and very decent of you, but remember that there's going to come that day when you're all set to go out in your beloved jacket when she comes out of the bedroom wearing the same thing. Then you'll have to go change. You will. That's how it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24