Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-17 flew over!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I took pics too.

It landed over in Ames, Iowa but overflew my town before doing so. The sound of those four radial engines is awe inspiring. If you're in central Iowa, check it out!

I can't go, I have to work but this isn't the first B-17 I've seen or been in. My dad is going and he took my camera (so no pics right now).

Pics later tonight!

It's going to be in Ames from today, the 18th through to Monday the 21st. Sweet!
www.flyincalendar.com/event_detail.cfm?e=7306

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Pics! I have more, just don't have time to post all of them tonight.

Oh, I want to take a ride soooooo bad. I'm going to see it on Sunday. It'll be the 4th time in a B-17! :D

B-17001.jpg

B-17002.jpg

B-17003.jpg

B-17004.jpg

More tomorrow!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've had that experience. There was an olive drab colored one living at the Jamestown NY airport for a while a number of years ago (like maybe 15?) and one day as I walked along our lake I hear this HUGE rumble over head. I look up and there she is, flying only a couple thousand feet up, maybe less. I tried to multiply that by hundreds to even begin to imagine the sound of a full wing of them taking off. Awesome.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hmph

When I was a kid in Ames I would have sold my grandmother to be able to go to our local puddlejumper airport and see (let alone ride in) an actual B-17. Unfortunately such aircraft didn't tour much then, and when they did it was strictly around the sunbelt.

Looking forward to those pix, thunder, and thanks for taking them!

(You're in Boone, IIRC?)

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
My girlfriend and I went for a flight in "Liberty Belle" back in April. I am jealous! We had to sit by the left waist gun until we were airborne. I would have loved to sit up there and watch the props spin.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Mr.Microphone said:
My girlfriend and I went for a flight in "Liberty Belle" back in April. I am jealous! We had to sit by the left waist gun until we were airborne. I would have loved to sit up there and watch the props spin.

Twas quite awesome. Getting to be in a B-17 is thrilling; flying in one is ever better, I'm sure you'll agree!

Last of the pics. Videos later, sis is having a hard time getting them up.

B-17023.jpg

Lookin' like a tard, but a happy tard.
B-17025.jpg

.50 goodness
B-17027.jpg

B-17028.jpg

Startup!
B-17029.jpg

B-17032.jpg

"Bandits, 8 o'clock high. Take 'em out, left waist!"
B-17034.jpg

Lookin' back towards the tail gear and tail gunner.
B-17035.jpg

B-17036.jpg

Takeoff was very loud, but it didn't hurt the ears. A low rumble. I was trying to tell sis something during take off and she still couldn't hear me when I was yelling at the top of my lungs. Imagine hundreds of them in flight.
On the ground when the engines were running the tarmac was vibrating under everyone's feet. Awesome.

Duck

Practically Family
Very nice !!! I too have had the honor to fly in a B17. I used to be on the board of directors for the local air museum and the yearly air shows we put on were a lot of fun.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I see them at air shows and the occasional fly in here in E Texas. Back in the very early 70's when I was a young AF officer at Robins AFB, Ga I used to see quite a few. It seems as though the USDA(dept of agriculture) had several stationed at the Macon, Ga airport that were used in the ill fated fire ant elimination program. I guess the went out when weather conditions were right and area bombed locations that were infested.

I was taking flying lessions via the base flying club and the information came from my instructor, a high time B 52 pilot. He transfered out before we could complete my training, and went into the SR 71 program.

moonlight

New in Town
Great pictures. The B17 is my favourite WWII aircraft. Hope to get the chance to fly in one someday. Saw the Memphis Belle when she was on Mud Island in Memphis back in 1988.

Mary Alice is a non flyer at Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridge Uk and the Sally B regularly flies at various shows in the Uk.

:)

WH1

Practically Family
Beautiful photos and what a great way to spend a day.
I have never had the opportunity to fly in one but I have been priviliged with a couple of experiences involving WWII planes.

One of the neatest sights I have ever seen was a June morning 15 years ago just North of Eugene, Oregon on I-5. There was a small, grass runway airport. As I was driving by a B-17 (probably Sentimental Journey) and a B-24 took off together. My buddy and I pulled over to watch, unfortunately no camera. Amazing.

Several years ago I was an advisor to the Young Marines program in Colorado Springs. We went to the Air Museum in Pueblo, Colorado to so some volunteer work. They have a B26 among other great birds and they allowed us to explore the planes. I was amazed how cramped the B26 was. I could bearly fit into the bird. Amazing they could fly the long missions they did. Having done 16 hour convoy missions in cramped vehicles I have great respect for those pilots and crews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats