Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 Original repair or not??

Africa star

New in Town
Hello everybody, I'm a newby so might be a bit green at this. My name is Scott, and i'm from Staffordshire in England. I collect WW2 RAF and USAAF flying gear. My question regards a very tatty but wearable original B3 flying jacket that i want to wear out and about. This jacket is named to a J.J Amberlin, who i would eventually like to try and trace, any ideas?. I need to repair or stabalise several large tears/ holes in the shearling but don't know how to go about it without ruining the originality of the jacket. The hide seems too weak just to be stitched but i have limited experience in making and sewing patches. Would it be wrong of me to repair it?. I only paid £30 for it. what do you think i should do? Many thanks.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Well you got yourself a bargain for that price, an original named B-3! It might be hard to tell if the damage is from the wartime period or post-war from poor storage or wear abuse, so many were worn by bikers until they fell apart. As soon as you start patching and repairing you are spoiling its originality IMO and as it is named I wouldn't be trying to repair and then wear it, however well you repair it it will be fragile, US shearling is more fragile than that used for RAF Irvins. I personally would leave as it is and try and research the named aircrew member, try googling 'search for WW2 AAF personnel' and you might get a lead. Welcome to the Lounge by the way!

Africa star

New in Town
Thanks for your reply Havocpaul. I have managed to trace the owner of the Jacket to a James Jose Amberlin of the 77th troop carrier div USAAF. Unfortunately he was KIA on D Day dropping troops over France. He was flying one of two C-47's of a flight of three when they were caught by ground fire, and now i have his winter B3. Very humbling. I have made the descision to replace the damaged panels with period shearling from a D.1 jacket or similar to retain the integrity of the jacket. I will however retain the original panels as well. Thanks again.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would not repair this jacket but keep it as a display item. As Paul says US shearling is notorious for tearing and unless you are very lucky few original USAAF shearling jackets are wearable today. I have owned many B-s over the years and worn some but they are liable the rip and I now only have one in mint condition which can be worn with care.

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
Exactly.

aswatland said:
I would not repair this jacket but keep it as a display item. As Paul says US shearling is notorious for tearing and unless you are very lucky few original USAAF shearling jackets are wearable today. I have owned many B-s over the years and worn some but they are liable the rip and I now only have one in mint condition which can be worn with care.

In my early collecting days I massacred my share of vintage shearlings. Even ones that may appear to be mint (no rips, holes, tears, etc) are just one 'reach-to-the-cupboard move' away from the entire back ripping open.

I'd just display the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran