Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to School Bags

Beaubeau

New in Town
So school is coming upon us, rapidly. I have checked almost everything off my supply list except a good bag for school, and I have a lot of very heavy things to carry everywhere as I'm a triple major in Biochemist, Chemistry, and Microbiology.

I've heard whispers of these guys, but I'm not sure that they are of any kind of quality at all, or if there are better ideas than a messenger bag for what will like over a thousand pages of instructional text alone to carry. This isn't an urgent thing, but it does look silly to be in a nice formal suit and be carrying around a Jansport.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
They are nice satchels in a traditional style. I don't own one, but I've seen them in the shops recently - the leather is not quite as thick as a vintage satchel, certainly thinner than the one my mother has from the mid fifties.

If you want to buy new rather than scouting around for an old one, they are the best I've seen.

I seem to remember somebody from this forum ordered one with gold initials, and the letters rubbed off, you could search the forum for the relevant thread if this is something you were thinking of doing.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Beaubeau said:
I've heard whispers of these guys, but I'm not sure that they are of any kind of quality at all, or if there are better ideas than a messenger bag for what will like over a thousand pages of instructional text alone to carry. This isn't an urgent thing, but it does look silly to be in a nice formal suit and be carrying around a Jansport.

Can you wait 2 weeks? My mum has ordered one for my birthday!

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Ah, here is the thread, lots of nice briefcases and what-nots:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=481&page=15

My comment that the leather is slightly thinner than a vintage satchel is no bad thing, as it looked really strong still.

The Cambridge one is very nice, I saw them in a shop in Shrewsbury, the large 'batchel' should do the trick - I wanted one but it's a tad too pricey for me. I think I need to drop hints when it's my next birthday ;)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
3800833672_1abd03fc97_z.jpg

"The Quintessential English School Satchel"

http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/

"Oh how spiffing, they are now doing Traveling Trunks!"

steamer-trunk-201-p.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Beaubeau said:
So school is coming upon us, rapidly. I have checked almost everything off my supply list except a good bag for school, and I have a lot of very heavy things to carry everywhere as I'm a triple major in Biochemist, Chemistry, and Microbiology.

Sounds like you will need a decent backpack to lug around all that stuff.

My sixteen year old attends parochial school and carries a heavy load of books on a daily basis. Messeger bags don't cut it. A single strap put all the weight on one shoulder which is no good.

Beaubeau

New in Town
Feraud said:
Sounds like you will need a decent backpack to lug around all that stuff.

My sixteen year old attends parochial school and carries a heavy load of books on a daily basis. Messeger bags don't cut it. A single strap put all the weight on one shoulder which is no good.

That's what I'm thinking as well, especially since I have mild scoliosis already. I'm thinking that I'll see what I can scrounge around for a good leather backpack to last for a long while, likely past the PHD and Med School.

Fortunately for me, I seldom, if ever, bring my laptop with me to school on class days (Class days are for class.), so I don't need to have a padded laptop compartment, which will cut down the cost a little, but with a good quality bag, that's not really going to be raking in the savings.

Talbot

One Too Many
Beaubeau said:
That's what I'm thinking as well, especially since I have mild scoliosis already. I'm thinking that I'll see what I can scrounge around for a good leather backpack to last for a long while, likely past the PHD and Med School.

Fortunately for me, I seldom, if ever, bring my laptop with me to school on class days (Class days are for class.), so I don't need to have a padded laptop compartment, which will cut down the cost a little, but with a good quality bag, that's not really going to be raking in the savings.

I purchased a well used satchel on eBay a while back at a very reasonable price. I use a zip up padded sleeve for the laptop and it works well.

T

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If I needed to lug around heavy stuff on a regular basis I'd get something with wheels. Something like this might fit the bill for use on the campus scene.

Todd V

Familiar Face
A little more detail...

Will you be lugging books on the train or walking long distances? Will you be commuting by car?

As a working stiff who slings a laptop bag over my shoulder on the subway everyday, I would not want to carry heavy chem and bio textbooks that way. In college, I (and everyone else) work a big backpack and it was considered cool to use both straps. In high school, the cool kids used only one strap, which was miserable. lol

I would love to have one of these rucksacks by Archival Clothing...
http://store.archivalclothing.com/products/rucksack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy