Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backyard chickens

dnjan

One Too Many
I planted a rosemary bush a few years ago, before a strangely cold winter. Didn't make it. Need to find a hardier one and try again.

Do you think chicken roasted on a bed of bay laurel (bay leaf) branches would work? I need to do some serious trimming of the bay laurel in front of the livingroom window so we can see out again.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I don't know why not. I find bay laurel a bit strongly flavored for my taste versus European laurel but I'm sure that given the aromatic oils in the leaves it would flavor up a chicken something fierce. If you try it, report back.

I don't know why not. I find bay laurel a bit strongly flavored for my taste versus European laurel but I'm sure that given the aromatic oils in the leaves it would flavor up a chicken something fierce. If you try it, report back.

Which is the one that produces the leaves that are put in the little tins (or jars) for which we pay such astronomical prices at the supermarket?

At least one variety grows quite well out here on the soggy shores of the Salish Sea (aka Puget Sound), as Don knows firsthand.

dnjan

One Too Many
The one that grows here (bay laurel) works quite well as the dried leaves in the jar. I usually trim a couple of branches and put the leaves in a food dehydrator at low temperature for a few hours. They curl more than the ones in the expensive jar, but to me they taste the same.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
We have egg chickens and our kids raise 150 meat chickens every year for stock shows. If anyone has questions, I can probably answer them!

3fingers

One Too Many
I'm curious what happens with these backyard chickens after a couple of years (when their egg production significantly drops off).
Having grown up on a farm where we would get about 100 "day-old chicks" each Spring, I know what happened to our chickens.
But I can't quite picture that solution being acceptable to many back-yard chicken owners (or even legal in some urban areas).
Well, this is far from an urban area, but some of the locals here who don't want to kill their own chickens for the pot trade them in to the Amish folks for young chickens. I don't know what the current chicken exchange rate is. There is presently a campaign at my house to get chickens. I grew up with them, she did not. I am resisting because I can foresee that the chicken house would soon become my problem. I am more than happy with the current arrangement of purchasing eggs from one of our neighbors, and using our little chicken house for storage. The eggs we get are far superior to the grocery store variety, and come at a very reasonable price.

... There is presently a campaign at my house to get chickens. ... I am resisting because I can foresee that the chicken house would soon become my problem. ...

Sounds familiar.

A certain member of this household is apparently under the impression that I have four hands and my days are 48 hours long.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
100% today,four chickens,four eggs....
BC344008-6583-46CD-985E-39350BE53832-27630-00002DCAFE6DCE60.jpg

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I had chickens a few years ago when I lived in Florida. I am finishing building a coup this week and planning to get three hens next week. I can't wait to have fresh, free eggs again. The kids are excited too!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There are abbatoirs or slaughter houses that will kill, dress and chill or freeze your chickens for you. And a pressure cooker will save time in cooking a tough old bird.

Heather

Practically Family
Wow! I'm so glad this thread exists! So far, i have 3 buff orpington hens and I love it! They're too young to lay just yet (approx.10 weeks old) so I'm anxiously awaiting that first one. It took me a year and a lot of research to finally dive into this and it makes me so happy. Even my husband has gotten into a little bit! I look forward to following this thread...

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I have two barred rocks six months old,they both lay pretty much every day.I also have two americaunas,five weeks old.I have to keep them separated,probably most of the summer.I have the babies in a separate pen but close to the older girls.I can tell they are dieing to peck them.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
At he beginning of this thread I had four chickens.I had to get rid of two.They turned out to be fighting chickens.They had to go.Thats why I replaced them with the Easter eggers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925