Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad experience with Lost Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmike

One of the Regulars
My absolute sympathies Monitor, for the abominable situation in which you find yourself. While it's certainly possible that Stuart really wouldn't give a rat's ass about what tfl's forum members think about this, I think he should be forwarded this thread just the same.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Not defending LW's actions, but I think a tactical error was made here, especially if there's a difficult personality involved. Human nature being what it is, unless your feet are held to the coals, people are generally focused on the next urgent fire drill. I like to support small business whenever I can, but a direct bank transfer goes too far because it gives up all recourse.

So this quote right here really irritates me. Not the quote itself, or it's author, or the fact that Monitor was kindly enough to stump up the funds in this manner. It's the fact that there is now no way you can re-collect if it's needed. I am shocked that this was required, if indeed it was.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I am shocked that this was required, if indeed it was.

Does not sound like it was required. In post #58, Monitor said, "When ordering the jacket, I asked LW which payment method would they prefer the most and they said wire transfer. I think they lose least money that way and while I knew it's least safe for me, I never for a second thought anything could go wrong..."

Many years ago, I remember my Dad saying to me, "You left yourself wide open."

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if company offer MTO size why do they sewn in size number on it, it would be confusing if later that jacket hits second hand market, 2 of the same jacket model by the same maker might share almost the same measurement and can be tagged a different size due to the feeling of the maker at the time or affected by the e-mail conversation throughout the order, in my opinion MTO custom order is better to just carry unique order number. if later someone bought that jacket and use it as reference to order a similar style jacket to be made in his size at least by its order number the maker know exactly which jacket used as reference there, it will force the maker to look up the order card rather than rough guessing by the size tag he sewn on that jacket at the time.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
if company offer MTO size why do they sewn in size number on it, it would be confusing if later that jacket hits second hand market, 2 of the same jacket model by the same maker might share almost the same measurement and can be tagged a different size due to the feeling of the maker at the time or affected by the e-mail conversation throughout the order, in my opinion MTO custom order is better to just carry unique order number. if later someone bought that jacket and use it as reference to order a similar style jacket to be made in his size at least by its order number the maker know exactly which jacket used as reference there, it will force the maker to look up the order card rather than rough guessing by the size tag he sewn on that jacket at the time.
You should see Aero's sale page. I usually wear a size 42 but I can find jackets there tagged between size 38 and 44 which might be a good fit for me according to the measurements. Right now they've listed two 'everyman' jackets sz 42. One with p2p 25.25 the other p2p 23.5. I've tried but I honestly can't see any logic. My best guess is that they use shoulder width to differentiate between sizes, which would be weird because p2p is more important than shoulder width. Anyways, I don't think a company is concerned about sizing labels because of second hand market. My best guess is they use sizing labels because of their own sales pages.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You should see Aero's sale page. I usually wear a size 42 but I can find jackets there tagged between size 38 and 44 which might be a good fit for me according to the measurements. Right now they've listed two 'everyman' jackets sz 42. One with p2p 25.25 the other p2p 23.5. I've tried but I honestly can't see any logic. My best guess is that they use shoulder width to differentiate between sizes, which would be weird because p2p is more important than shoulder width. Anyways, I don't think a company is concerned about sizing labels because of second hand market. My best guess is they use sizing labels because of their own sales pages.

Different patterns interpret sizes differently. Always been the case and not just Aero. The first lesson a jacket fancier needs to learn is never go by size. Only go by measurements. I have owned 42's in chest sizes: 21, 22, 22.5, 23, 24, 25, 25.5 - only one an Aero.

Shoulders generally don't make a difference to fit unless they are too wide and you get that awful 1980's A2 droopy look. In most cases, a six foot one guy and five foot seven guy could wear the same or very close shoulder width.

Last edited:
To update everyone on the story - there's no update. Still no reply from LW so nothing to sort out. What I said earlier, they made their position perfectly clear when they gave me two options - Partial refund or sending the jacket abroad for "inspection" with me paying for the shipping.

With the shipping and the import taxes for getting the same jacket back, both options would roughly equally set me back.

What happened in the mean time was that another member expressed the interest in buying the jacket so the matter with LW is, as far as I am concerned, closed.

Thing is, LW clearly believes that I got a perfectly fine jacket and am complaining for no reason, as stated in their correspondence with me and if that's truly how they feel after sending me a jacket in this state, there isn't a whole lot I can do to change their mind, which is something that's confirmed with the fact that they haven't even bothered responding to me, if only to tell me to sod off.
If you ship a product like that and think the customer is too fussy or whatever after they complain about it... We've got a serious problem here. And hoping for LW to grant me mercy is to me the least acceptable option.

So, yeah, I know I should be sending them email after email, demanding this or that but frankly, that's a process that would just make me feel even worse. Yes, more than losing money. I would think the $2000 for a leather jacket includes not having to argue with anyone over something that to me seems clear as a day. I don't need this in my life, especially not nowadays.

So while I'm not happy, at least I closed this chapter which makes me happier than I was.

Last edited:
Werid, I remember it was your post.

Wha... No! That's super strange. I edited one of my posts yesterday but just removed something I felt wasn't really relevant to the subject though nothing about the matter being resolved. Maybe I worded it wrong so that it came off that way but no, nothing with LW has been resolved. Last I heard from them was three days ago. Member who bought the jacket already made the payment yesterday so nothing would've changed. Really strange (and worrying lol) I don't recall any of this...

zebedee

One Too Many
I really like the LW Peacoat (someone had one on here ages ago with a purple lining- amazing jacket), but that was the only design that stood out to me. I don't think it's a matter of LW being 'due' a kicking, and I am not entirely sure that people should ignore the websites, etc., and only focus on the product. I find the LW site funny - and have used it to teach about unintentional camp - but also suspect that the owner would hold views that I'd either find petty or pitiable, and I strongly suspect that the person who writes the guff on the website would be incredibly easily wounded. It's annoying, in a way - were it not for the website, I probably would have bought a jacket from LW, but in reading it I just started laughing and then showed it to a co-worker who thought it all sounded a bit disturbed.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
For me, one of the most important aspects when buying anything (not just leather jackets) is that the company I buy from makes me feel like they appreciate my business. I recently had a discussion with @Robbie79 about some shop owner. Both Robbie and I had exactly the same experience when visiting his brick and mortar shop. The owner was very condescending, making us feel like we were not worth his time. I will never buy something from that guy, even if it were dirt cheap and the greatest deal in the world.
I had visited Lostworlds website before but I didn't actually read any descriptions or the FAQ. But if you do you can immediately tell Lostworlds is like an online version of the condescending shop owner: "(...)We tell them to go elsewhere, because they won't understand or appreciate what we offer." To be clear, I'm not judging anyone who does, but for me personally, this alone is enough reason not to buy anything from Lostworlds.

To end this comment with a positive note. I recently bought a custom made jacket which was sent to me by USP. Half an hour after I picked up the jacket from the local UPS service point, I received an e-mail from the company owner: "(...) please let me know about the jacket". I guess he received the delivery conformation from UPS. This is a company which truly appreciates my business. I'll be a returning customer.

dannyk

One Too Many
I
For me, one of the most important aspects when buying anything (not just leather jackets) is that the company I buy from makes me feel like they appreciate my business. I recently had a discussion with @Robbie79 about some shop owner. Both Robbie and I had exactly the same experience when visiting his brick and mortar shop. The owner was very condescending, making us feel like we were not worth his time. I will never buy something from that guy, even if it were dirt cheap and the greatest deal in the world.
I had visited Lostworlds website before but I didn't actually read any descriptions or the FAQ. But if you do you can immediately tell Lostworlds is like an online version of the condescending shop owner: "(...)We tell them to go elsewhere, because they won't understand or appreciate what we offer." To be clear, I'm not judging anyone who does, but for me personally, this alone is enough reason not to buy anything from Lostworlds.

To end this comment with a positive note. I recently bought a custom made jacket which was sent to me by USP. Half an hour after I picked up the jacket from the local UPS service p

not jacket related but customer service. I recently purchased a book that also came with some trinkets if you will. Bookmark, a button/badge, some artwork. It’s a super limited print by an independent author. Who’s released two books now and working on his third. Similar to jackets in the sense it’s a small one man operation with a hyper focus on a very niche market. When he emailed me confirmation of my order he took a picture of the shipping receipt and sent it to me, and he asked me to email him when I received it. When I received the package he wrote a personal note to me hoping I loved the book and told me to keep safe during COVID. I then emailed him, he emailed back the next day repeated the wishes and thanks and told me to keep my eye on his fb page for his third release. These little touches and sincerity are everything. It was over a 70 dollar book package. If you’re spending hundreds, sometimes thousands on a jacket, customer service can be the thing that makes the difference. At this high of level the makers are all fantastic (allowing for the odd mistake or subpar product it happens to everyone) what sets them apart is how they treat people. If you have hundreds/thousands to spend and all the jackets are of fairly equal construction, you’re going to purchase from the ones offering stellar service and follow up. Of course some makers have specialties or designs/leathers others don’t offer. But you get my point. We’re a niche market like for the book I bought, how are you going to stand out? Customer service.

I went back and looked for deleted messages on pages 4 and 5. There was only one deleted message and that was from @Will Zach. Had nothing to do with a refund.

I seriously didn't mention anything like that. Again, maybe I said that someone bought the jacket so the matter is resolved but either I'm having memory lapses or I worded something or quoted someone incorrectly so it came off sounding wrong but... I don't even recall doing that.

Hh121

Banned
Yes, I remembered @Monitor said "short of received email yesterday they offered full refund plus paid shipping back, I am done." But now the post is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112