Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad idea?

If you wanna change the jacket to such an extent, maybe it's not meant to be. I've been there, it happens. So many times had I wanted to change just one little thing to make it perfect... And then I realized it's got nothing to do with perfection and that I just want another jacket altogether.

But again, most important thing is... Well, to me, at least, is that the end result won't look any different. Sure, you'll know. We will, since you made a thread but it won't make any difference in the real world and that's something I'm definitely giving up on, that unobtainable perfection. 'cause it doesn't exist.

You'd have to slice it at the half-belt to make a difference. Also, @Marc mndt is right about throwing the pockets out of balance.

It fits you fantastic as it is! I really wouldn't take any chances with it. It's a really nice jacket. It's been nice for what, 80 years now. That's something to honor, IMO. :)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It's funny because the zip length is similar to my Windward as well, but the Windward doesn't bother me....it’s also an inch longer.
View attachment 346693
View attachment 346694

That Winward looked good in the longer length because the lower hand warmer pockets, and it has a much deeper front yoke. If you shorten that one it would looked chopped off.
But your Origial Wayfarer has much higher pockets and higher yoke, and very high waist half belt at the back. I would still think at shorter length is better.
Plus Aero's repro is not long either from the photo. The body length to sleeve proportion.

Image1.jpg

I would go with first instinct, chop of no chop. Gut feeling is always pure and sure, and the thinking that comes after are always confusing.

Last edited:
I would chop it. What kind of liner are you adding?
Simple sateen in brown or beige. Nothing too fancy.
If you wanna change the jacket to such an extent, maybe it's not meant to be. I've been there, it happens. So many times had I wanted to change just one little thing to make it perfect... And then I realized it's got nothing to do with perfection and that I just want another jacket altogether.

But again, most important thing is... Well, to me, at least, is that the end result won't look any different. Sure, you'll know. We will, since you made a thread but it won't make any difference in the real world and that's something I'm definitely giving up on, that unobtainable perfection. 'cause it doesn't exist.

You'd have to slice it at the half-belt to make a difference. Also, @Marc mndt is right about throwing the pockets out of balance.

It fits you fantastic as it is! I really wouldn't take any chances with it. It's a really nice jacket. It's been nice for what, 80 years now. That's something to honor, IMO. :)
Yes half of me agrees fully :))) with this sentiment. The other half thinks it’s a relatively benign adjustment and with Dena I have zero fear about the outcome. She will make it look as if it had always been that way. But I agree with the notion of preserving its original form as well.

If you shorten it, keep the front drop don’t cut this flat! 2-2.5 in is good.
I think it could use a longer zipper. The openness works when there is a belt, but with it long gone you need a longer zip- not all the way to the bottom though. Leave 3-4” at the bottom.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
But the old standard: Ask Dena what she thinks; she has an eye for these things.

I think Peacoat nailed my thoughts here! Dena will be able to give you very good wisdom on this one.

Personal opinion only, I would re-line it and simply leave as - is but it's really your call Tony. You have very good taste and will make a good choice here.

Last edited:
Truth be told, it’s awesome as is, and tweaking it won’t make it “better.” Yes to the re-line, but once you start to “control” this pony you will start to lose interest in the magic of this vintage piece. Maybe it’s better to have Shawn make you a version than make a gelding of this stallion.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Truth be told, it’s awesome as is, and tweaking it won’t make it “better.” Yes to the re-line, but once you start to “control” this pony you will start to lose interest in the magic of this vintage piece. Maybe it’s better to have Shawn make you a version than make a gelding of this stallion.

Best idea yet, reline this one and keep it as it is, and have Shawn make you a tweaked one, see which one you end up prefering.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
I think its awesome as is. If you want to change it , you should sell and buy a different one, ill buy!

That Winward looked good in the longer length because the lower hand warmer pockets, and it has a much deeper front yoke. If you shorten that one it would looked chopped off.
But your Origial Wayfarer has much higher pockets and higher yoke, and very high waist half belt at the back. I would still think at shorter length is better.
Plus Aero's repro is not long either from the photo. The body length to sleeve proportion.

View attachment 346695

I would go with first instinct, chop of no chop. Gut feeling is always pure and sure, and the thinking that comes after are always confusing.

Looking at this pic... I think I know what the... Well, let's call it an issue, is. It's a unique jacket. I don't recall seeing one quite like it. This particular length just hits that perfect middle between a leather jacket and a short coat and interestingly enough, it works beautifully as either which is why I believe we're just not used to this and @ton312, maybe you're trying to make it closer to something you're more comfortable & familiar with - Which is precisely the reason I'm not sure I would buy it, myself, even tho I simply love the way it looks on the photos. Not 'cause I don't like it enough to buy but because I'm not sure if it'd work or not, how I would feel about it, etc. All this says to me it ought to be left alone as it is. It's got a really unique vibe to it!

Best idea yet, reline this one and keep it as it is, and have Shawn make you a tweaked one, see which one you end up prefering.
I can tell you without hesitation the 5 star won't hold a candle to the original!
I'm leaving the length and the main zip alone...even though a longer zip would certainly look better, I just can't scrap that Talon. New liner, couple seams made tighter and CASE CLOSED! Thanks for all the valuable input loungers!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't. I see that opinions are pretty much evenly distributed, so you can't go wrong either way.

The thing is: It's meant to be that way, and if shortening it doesn't work out for whatever reason... Well, you can't unring a bell.
I have this Board Racer that I always thought was an inch too long. I asked TFL and left it as it is. So glad I did. Plenty of shorter options to chose from, but that one's different...

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I can tell you without hesitation the 5 star won't hold a candle to the original!
I'm leaving the length and the main zip alone...even though a longer zip would certainly look better, I just can't scrap that Talon. New liner, couple seams made tighter and CASE CLOSED! Thanks for all the valuable input loungers!

Just saw this...

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't shorten it. The longer version looks good on you, gives a different vibe, and you have all kinds of short jackets, it's not like all your jackets are long and you need a short one.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Uhm the Windward in the comparison jacket is perfect, why bother with this one here at all? Just wear the Windward akd be done with the vintage jacket search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo