Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Wolf Dr Who Jacket leather Jacket-just arrived!

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Hello all

I am new to this forum and and this is my first posting.

I have just recieved my new Bad Wolf Dr's jacket in brown and I have to say I am very pleased. Superb quality and a good fit.:)
Photo0228.jpg

Photo0230.jpg

Photo0231.jpg

Photo0232.jpg

I was wondering if anyone out there has a Bad Wolf jacket and what they think of theirs?

Also, I have an Avirex A2 bought new in 95 which I am thinking about selling. It's the baggy type and in a fairly decent condition. Could anyone advise on what kind of price I could expect? Will post pictures with more details if interested.

Cheers, Jaffa

Navin323i

Practically Family
Welcome to the site, Jaffa! You should post up pictures of your new jacket.

Sorry I can't answer your question about the Avirex pricing... I'm not familiar with those jackets. :)

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
I Love Mine!

I have one, and love it! Can't wait for the weather to turn cold so I can wear it some more!

Best,
Trog

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice one Jaffa - can you tell me what it weighs? Curious to learn how substantial it is.

Your A2 question is hard to answer. It is not all that desirable a make or design and many used modern cut ones are available. However, where you and I live, A2's are kind of rare so people know less about them and their value is somewhat higher.

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Thanks for the comments guys.

Seb-I'm an XL and I'd say my jacket weighs about 2.5kg. It's not too heavy and very comfortable indeed, and it's very well constructed. Worth the money I think so far.

Thanks for the advice on the A2.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Jaffa the Hat said:
Thanks Navin

I will get some photos up soon-hopefully!

Jaffa.

Beautiful jacket!! I've actually never heard of that brand until now. I love the patina on that jacket. Enjoy it in good health, my friend. :)

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Very nice, although having had a look at the website I'm damned if I can work out how much they cost?

I quite fancy a jacket like that in brown at some point, I know Wested do one as well.

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I very nearly bought one from Wested but I found them very unhelpful. They ignored my emails and when I actually phoned them from New Zealand the women I spoke to sounded genuinely un-interested. John Doyle at Bad Wolf on the other hand I found to be very communicative and he even emailed me additional photos so I could compare the brown against the black. I have also seen a lot of negative stuff on here about Wested so I am put off them now.
That said, I am sure Wested also have many satisfied customers as well.

I think from what I have read on here if I hadn't bought from Bad Wolf my next option for this jacket would have been Indy Magnoli as the feed back on here for him is pretty good from what I've seen.

Jaffa.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jaffa, I've looked into this too, I think you made exactly the right choice. I understand from others that the Bad Wolf is a wonderfully made item.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Jaffa the Hat said:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I very nearly bought one from Wested but I found them very unhelpful. They ignored my emails and when I actually phoned them from New Zealand the women I spoke to sounded genuinely un-interested. John Doyle at Bad Wolf on the other hand I found to be very communicative and he even emailed me additional photos so I could compare the brown against the black. I have also seen a lot of negative stuff on here about Wested so I am put off them now.
That said, I am sure Wested also have many satisfied customers as well.

I think from what I have read on here if I hadn't bought from Bad Wolf my next option for this jacket would have been Indy Magnoli as the feed back on here for him is pretty good from what I've seen.

Jaffa.

Dittos on the Wested attitude!:mad: I'll never "bother" them again.

91_Mustang

New in Town
Congrats on the nice looking Bad Wolf jacket! The quality and fit both look great. About a year ago I started looking into replica Dr. Who jackets and gave the Bad Wolf a lot of consideration. Unfortunately, Bad Wolf never responded to my email request for additional product information so I thought they might not be making these anymore. In the end I went with a less expensive (but highly screen accurate) version from another provider of which I've been very satisified. It's good to see that Bad Wolf is still in business though and that their quality is still top notch. Hope you enjoy the jacket!

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
New BW Jacket

Thank you all guys

Phew! A lot of questions here but no worries, I will get all the info togeather and give it to you in my next posting soon.

Cheers

Jaffa

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Last question Jaffa:
Is it black or brown.
Sorry, but it's hard to tell from the pix.
BTW, it's a perfect fit.
Looks like super high quality too!
Nice score! :eusa_clap
Lenny

Parkpiper

New in Town
I am also new to this forum and found my way here after hunting the internet for a good U-Boat jacket. Just like one of the previous posts, I narrowed my choices down to either Wested, Bad Wold or Magnoli.

My decision basically came down to a few things. First, I already have a Wested and was pleased with my whole ordering process. My only regret there is that I went with the washed goat hide and feel that it is too light/thin for anything other than a mild temp jacket. Since I already have a Wested I was looking to try another vendor. Second, I wanted more of a U-Boat style jacket than an authentic Dr. Who style. Third, since I already have a warm weather jacket, I wanted something that will actually function as my cold weather alternative. I emailed Indy and he said that he will would be able to change the lining to wool to give it some more warmth.
So, after hours of looking around I finally ordered a Black (new finish, I want to enjoy breaking it in!) Goatskin U-Boat Jacket from Magnoli last week. That being said, I could not be happier with my choice. I have emailed Indy numerous times and he has answered all of my emails promptly and has been very willing to work with any suggestions that I have thrown at him. From my experience so far I would absolutely recommend Magnoli.

Sorry for the long first post. Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with.

Amost forgot, after ordering I was quoted about 6 weeks for delivery. That should give me enough time to add my two cents here and there so I can add some photos when it arrives!

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Bad Wolf jacket-some details

Hello again everyone, and thanks for the more recent comments from those concerned.

Right, now, I will try and answer these questions as best I can but I will say from the start that I have emailed John Doyle at Bad Wolf about the leather type and he hasn't got back to me yet. From experiance he usually takes a couple of days to reply anyway and as soon as he does I'll let you know.

As far as the leather goes I don't personally think it's cowhide as it's maybe a bit too light, but at the same time it's certainly not thin and flimsy either. The colour is brown and the natural imperfections are still present which I think adds to the look. The leather is very soft, floppy, luxuriant and is obviously superb quality. The lining is of the original WW2 colour, style, texture and not too warm or to cool.
I live in an area of north island New Zealand where we have very hot dry summers and chilly winters with a little frost now and then but nothing like UK, Canada and northern US winter conditions. I can easily get away with just a t-shirt underneath with the jacket open during the day but come evenings and early mornings an extra layer underneath may be needed.

Warebare: I am 6ft 2inches tall, I am about 14 1/2 stone and shoulder to shoulder across my back I measure 20.5 inches with a 44 inch chest. When I say I am an XL that's my off the peg size but these jackets are made to measure.

I had to wait six weeks plus the four days shipping time (and then got hit for NZ import tax of $160 NZD!!!). I too read somewhere that some people had waited six months for delivery so I asked John Doyle about it and he assured me that was just rubbish! The Bad Wolf website however, does say two to three weeks and as I have mentioned to John Doyle the photos on there don't do these jackets justice.

On some older threads I have read Bad Wolf being dismissed as amateurs which I don't think is fair. I think John Doyle does another full time line of work and the jackets are a side project using a bespoke tailor in London to make the jackets, but what he is is very, very fussy about the
quality of these jackets and he personally inspects each one before it is sent to the customer. By John Doyle's own admition he is "an obsessive" about getting these jackets right for the customer which I don't think is a bad thing from a customer's point of view. Rather that than some greedy company who do not give hoot if you are happy or not once they have your doe!

91 Mustang: Sorry to hear you got no response from BW when you emailed. The first time I emailed I heard nothing for two weeks then out of the blue I got a response-turned out John Doyle had been on holiday!

Hope all this helps with your decision guys, those of you who are considering going with Bad Wolf.

Thanks again

Jaffa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats