Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bailey Gangster - between sizes

tom78

New in Town
Hi Guys. I'd like to add a dark grey Bailey Gangster to my Olney navy, Guerra Brown, and MS black fedoras.

However, I seem to be in between sizes. My Guerra 57 is snug but just about OK, yet the Olney L (58-59) is too large.

Do any of you have a Bailey Gangster, and could you give me some advice as to whether a M or L is better? The option of padding a L sweatband or stretching a M.

Thanks! Tom

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a Bailey wool felt which I think is a gangster or similar. The sweat band is cotton on mine, so you could probably pad it. The hat shrinks naturally so I would say get size L. I have to recommend this hat to others though, even if it is wool felt. It repels rain better than any of the fur felts I have seen.

tom78

New in Town
avedwards said:
I have a Bailey wool felt which I think is a gangster or similar. The sweat band is cotton on mine, so you could probably pad it. The hat shrinks naturally so I would say get size L. I have to recommend this hat to others though, even if it is wool felt. It repels rain better than any of the fur felts I have seen.

Thanks! Where are you based - where did you get yours? I just ordered one online!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm based in Stafford. I was in Birmingham when I found the only hat shop there called Hat Man. The only felts they had were from Bailey so I got the one which I think may have been a ganster. Mine felt crushable, but turned out not to be a few weeks ago when I crushed it and it doesn't look right any more, so do not crush it by just flattening it, roll it up (there are threads showing you how to do this).

By the way, should you want another felt hat and want something different do not get anything from a modern hatmaker as the quality will not be very good in most cases. The exception is Akurbra, which is said to make good hats. Don't get cheaper hats (like Stetsons) as you will not be pleased over the long term. I have about five useless hats which were not as good as I thought, and now I've decided to get a custom. So my advice is that if you want another good hat get either an Akubra, a vintage hat or a custom hat. If you pay a lot of money now you will save money in the long term.

Enjoy your Bailey.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Just to add to this real quick, as far as I know most or even all of the hats marked L or Large by Bailey of Hollywood are 59 cms, or a US 7 3/8 size. I have only owned a couple, and they were definitely a bit large for my 7 1/4 head, but they still fit fine, I wasn't drowning in them.

Padding the sweatband should bring the size down just fine.

As far as avedwards comment about getting nothing from a modern hat manufacturer due to lack of quality, :D I cannot agree with that. But hey, we all have different opinions on modern felt quality.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Another method of making a hat smaller other than padding the sweat band...
n706200567_2759243_54808631.jpg

Very good for those with too much money. My hat which was too big for me now fit my friend perfectly, who it was otherwise too big for.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
avedwards said:
Another method of making a hat smaller other than padding the sweat band...
n706200567_2759243_54808631.jpg

Very good for those with too much money. My hat which was too big for me now fit my friend perfectly, who it was otherwise too big for.

Hmmm I have just noticed that I have SEVERAL hats that are too big for me, I wondering if you could help out a fellow lounger and send a box full of money so my hats would fit me correctly...... I would be willing to pay the shipping charges ;) :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have found, that unless a hat is swimming on me, that a slightly too big hat is easier to deal with than a slightly too small hat, which I wont/cant wear as they give me headaches.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Ordinary Guy said:
Hmmm I have just noticed that I have SEVERAL hats that are too big for me, I wondering if you could help out a fellow lounger and send a box full of money so my hats would fit me correctly...... I would be willing to pay the shipping charges ;) :D
How much money are you after? In the picture there is only £800, so maybe I could spare you £100 or so?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
I have found, that unless a hat is swimming on me, that a slightly too big hat is easier to deal with than a slightly too small hat, which I wont/cant wear as they give me headaches.

I would recommend this advice as well. A hat that slips a bit too far down can easily be padded out a little for a perfect fit. A hat that is already a bit too small, maybe sits a bit too high and binds to the skin, is just going to be trouble. You may not get headaches like scottyrocks, but chances are you will eventually feel some sort of discomfort with a bit too small hat. Aside from stretching, there won't be much you can do about it.

Also, a hat that is padded out due to being slightly big is somewhat future proofed. If it shrinks a little, the fit might only improve and you can remove padding.lol

bdb71

New in Town
I have the gangster in M, I am a size 71/8 (57) and it fits slightly looser than my M Scala and other 71/8 hats. I think it is probably due to the cloth sweatband. I also wouldnt see a problem with padding a large. Mine hasnt shrunk much but I think when it does it"ll be just right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou