Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bailey Hats

gilligan

One of the Regulars
A big hello to everyone,
Several days ago I was reading some old threads on Bailey Hats, because several days ago I purchased one of their limited edition 100% rabbit fur fedoras called the "Casmir". At the time I hadn't received it so after reading all the comments which for the most part weren't flattering to the Bailey brand, I thought I might of made a mistake for going with this company. Now here's the verdict and my personal opinion.
I currently own around 20 fur felt fedoras, and western fedoras from Stetson, Resistol, Akubra, and a Penny's Marathon from the 1940's.
Today I received the Bailey's Hat and all I can say is wow! The quality is superb and I would put it up against any one of my hats. Now maybe it's because it's 100% Rabbit fur that makes the difference but the quality in the craftsmanship is second to none. The felt is super soft and the attention to detail is incredible. Heck, they even give you a free hat brush! For the price, you can't beat it. All my other hats are from the 1940's thru 1990's. This is my first new hat as I always loved the vintage lids but I have to admit, I love this hat. I could of gone with any hat company whether it was a big company, or a small independent maker, but I chose Bailey from the Bollman Hat company. Being made in Pennsylvania which is less than an hour from my house and the company being around as long as they have I have to hand it to them. They do make a great quality hat at a very competitive price. If you take a second look at this company, definitely check out their fur felt line. I would definitely buy from them again. Let me know what you think.
Tony

A big hello to everyone,
Several days ago I was reading some old threads on Bailey Hats, because several days ago I purchased one of their limited edition 100% rabbit fur fedoras called the "Casmir". At the time I hadn't received it so after reading all the comments which for the most part weren't flattering to the Bailey brand, I thought I might of made a mistake for going with this company. Now here's the verdict and my personal opinion.
I currently own around 20 fur felt fedoras, and western fedoras from Stetson, Resistol, Akubra, and a Penny's Marathon from the 1940's.
Today I received the Bailey's Hat and all I can say is wow! The quality is superb and I would put it up against any one of my hats. Now maybe it's because it's 100% Rabbit fur that makes the difference but the quality in the craftsmanship is second to none. The felt is super soft and the attention to detail is incredible. Heck, they even give you a free hat brush! For the price, you can't beat it. All my other hats are from the 1940's thru 1990's. This is my first new hat as I always loved the vintage lids but I have to admit, I love this hat. I could of gone with any hat company whether it was a big company, or a small independent maker, but I chose Bailey from the Bollman Hat company. Being made in Pennsylvania which is less than an hour from my house and the company being around as long as they have I have to hand it to them. They do make a great quality hat at a very competitive price. If you take a second look at this company, definitely check out their fur felt line. I would definitely buy from them again. Let me know what you think.
Tony

You should definitely post photos. Your experience is a lot different from mine (I’ve had some of their fur felt hats but not the Casmir). I’m glad you like your hat.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
You should definitely post photos. Your experience is a lot different from mine (I’ve had some of their fur felt hats but not the Casmir). I’m glad you like your hat.
I really do like this hat, I have to admit. I'm still trying to navigate this site, so as soon as I figure it out, I'll definitely post a pic of it. Thanks so much for your reply.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Bailey Hat.jpg
Bailey Hat.jpg

I picked up a new beaver/rabbit blend western Bailey off Ebay a number of years ago for a steal at $25. It was a wide brimmed pure white western weight. I dyed it blue and turned it into a fedora style. It is a great felt.
I think I picked it up so cheaply is because it was huge brimmed, pure white felt. But it was like picking up a beaver blend felt blank for $25.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I think I picked it up so cheaply is because it was huge brimmed, pure white felt. But it was like picking up a beaver blend felt blank for $25.
I know what you mean. I've picked up some really inexpensive quality fur felt Stetson western hats and cut the brim down and reshaped the crown, turning them into a western fedora. Wonderful hats and you're right, you can pick up great quality Bailey's for a song. They could be the next big secret once more people find out about these. For now you really can get them for a steal.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I tried on a Bailey paper straw the other day, a light natural with a Lariat crown and a Cutter brim, it fit me better than the Stetsons with its LO shape, it was light, seemed well built, looked great and compared well to the Stetson straws that sold at a higher price point. Decent straw for a $50 hat, soft synthetic sweatband and all.

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I tried on a Bailey paper straw the other day, a light natural with a Lariat crown and a Cutter brim, it fit me better than the Stetsons with its LO shape, it was light, seemed well built, looked great and compared well to the Stetson straws that sold at a higher price point. Decent straw for a $50 hat, soft synthetic sweatband and all.

Please disregard this post, when I went back to the shop where I saw this, I had another look at the hat I described above, it was in fact selling for CDN $ 249.00, which explains the quality, LOL. It was the Bailey Hazer, really nice looking Western straw.

Edward

Bartender
Please disregard this post, when I went back to the shop where I saw this, I had another look at the hat I described above, it was in fact selling for CDN $ 249.00, which explains the quality, LOL. It was the Bailey Hazer, really nice looking Western straw.

I've been looking at a lot of their straws recently, with a view to (probably for next Summer, now) expanding my straws to those in darker colours (blacks, dark browns, and the rest). The Bailey brand seems to have a very wide price range, which might in part explain the variability of experience reported here. Some of their straw fedora styles certainly look as good as the Stetson equivalents. I'm quite keen on their 'Waits' straw pork pie model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk