Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baker (Whites) Traveler fit questions

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I am considering ordering a pair of Whites semi dress boots, but they would be configured just like the Traveler made for Baker shoes. Ordering from Baker would be slightly cheaper, so is the slight increase in cost justified by the custom fit, or are the Baker Travelers a good fit? If I wear a size 9D dress shoe (Allen Edmonds, Alden dress shoes and Indy boot) would a 9D Baker Traveler be the right size? Thank you for your considerations.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
White's Boots

I can only speak to my experience with White's Packers and Thoroughbreds. I ordered my first pair of Packers in 1980. Followed the measurement instructions exactly. When the boots were delivered, the size was not even close. White's was great to work with and got me a pair in the correct size. I normally wear a 9 D, the boots that fit me (and are still going strong 30 years later after one rebuild) were marked 7 1/2 EE. My Thoroughbreds were purchased in 1999. I was measured at the White's store in Spokane and they are marked 7 E.

Try to find an boot store that carries either Whites or Hathornes (White's made but lower priced boot) and try them on. Then give that information to White's when you order.

Can't speak to sizing or quality of Baker shoes.

Regards the custom fit from White's, my impression is that unless your feet are really odd, they will use the measurements to make a standard size boot and send it to you.

Overall, my experience with White's has been very good. I have used the Packers hard and they are still excellent boots after 30 years. My son is a wildland fire fighter and White's Smoke Jumpers are the boot of choice for him and his crew.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of White's Original Packers in 9C and Baker's Custom Bounty Hunters in 9.5C. Both are extremely comfortable. The Bounty Hunters are brown bullhide and veg-tanned Red Dog and are the softest pair of boots I own. I seem to wear a 9.5C in any Allen Edmonds shoes I own or try on. My pair of Packers should probably been a 9.5C, but they have the thoroughbred (pointed) toe so there is plenty of toe room for my slightly narrow foot.

I wear the Packers and Bounty Hunters with a medium-weight sock (slightly heavier than a standard crew sock). My foot would never even fit into them with a heavy sock on.

Hope this helps.

andy b.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy