Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bald Bogart?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Bernhard Roetzel, in his book Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion, says that while Humphrey Bogart was bald and often went bareheaded in private, he never allowed himself to be captured on film without a hairpiece. I don't doubt this is true as far as movies go, but does anyone know if still photos of him without the toupee exist? I'd love to see one if they do exist--purely for my own idle curiosity as to what he looked like bald.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If I remember correctly, there is such a photo in Ms. Bacall's book.

Bogart had the best toup in America. Even when you know it, it still is hard to detect.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
There are a few photos of him without the hairpiece, mostly photos from private life. They've been posted on the Lounge before.

...Bogart had a long-standing affair with his hairpiece maker. Why on earth he'd cheat on a woman like Lauren Bacall, I've no idea! The eyes of man are never satisfied.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I knew he was bald, but that really was an exceptional hairpiece. There's that scene in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre were he gets a haircut and the barber is greasing up his hair and combing it though, it's impossible to tell it's not real. Make's me wonder why some modern stars have such a hard time getting a good hairpiece.:eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Wingnut said:
There are a few photos of him without the hairpiece, mostly photos from private life. They've been posted on the Lounge before.

...Bogart had a long-standing affair with his hairpiece maker. Why on earth he'd cheat on a woman like Lauren Bacall, I've no idea! The eyes of man are never satisfied.

get OUT! Wow - I have to wonder what SHE looked like! :eek:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
J. M. Stovall said:
that really was an exceptional hairpiece.
Yes, and it seems to have held up well in the pool as well.

0015_0096.jpg

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Wingnut, where did you hear/read about the toupee maker affair? I've never seen anything to indicate he was anything but faithful to Bacall.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the story as I've discovered; during the filming of Dark Passage (1947), Bogart experienced a sudden loss of hair, and within weeks he was almost entirely bald. Doctors blamed the accelerated hair loss on alopecia areata, a disease caused by vitamin deficiency. His years of drinking heavily and eating erratically apparently took their toll.

And that's the rest of the story.

-dixon cannon

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Dan,

Verita Thompson was her name. She wrote a book, 'Bogie and Me', about her affair and friendship with him during the last 15 years of his life.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Yeah, me too. I guess because we've all heard of the spectacular romance of Bogie and Bacall that we don't want to imagine another woman in the picture. But that's an aspect of life, I guess. These aren't just glamorous movie stars. They are human.

griffer

Practically Family
Dang it! Those good ol' days had a tarnish! Poo.

I like myth and legend better; those nuances and vagueries of reality sure take the fun out of the fantasy.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I tend to look at Bogart and Bacall in the same way that I do their movies. The thing about movies is that they end with the fade-out on the loving embrace, and then the credits roll. But in real life, there's something after the kiss, there's sitting across the breakfast table from one another day in and day out, there's actual problems that take longer than two hours to resolve, if they ever even do get resolved. Life's just not a movie.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
B_B_B.jpg

He's definitely losing it there. There's a portrait of the Bogart family a few months before his death, and he is almost completely without hair in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24