Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

baldness and hats

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
When I was in college, I studied theatre, not only acting and directing, but theatre history and costume and makeup. One of the interesting things about the history of costume is what constitutes fashion, style and acceptance in a given era and throughout the ages.

There have been times when men shaved their head and wore wigs, huge wigs that must have been hotter and stickier than MattC's lined hat. Women of style in the Elizabethan era plucked their eyebrows, and their hair halfway back on their heads. And wore teensy little caps.

Many times people tried to ape the rich, so others would think they were upper class, and sometimes they copied the fashions of the poor, in some cases so they would not be identified with the upper classes and be considered the "enemy." People have been killed over fashions and styles.

And, of course, there have always been hats, big floppy hats with feathers, tricorns, skullcaps, sometimes for years in various societies black hats, and, of course, our beloved fedoras which some of us hope will return (they never really went away) and right now a lot of ballcaps and beanies. And caps are making a comeback.

Lord knows what kind of hat may be in the future. Something we may embrace or something that will shock us.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said (paraphrase) that fashion was so repulsive, we have to change it every six months or so.

I love my hats, will wear them until I die. And, when I am dead, I hope they find good homes with people who will love them and cherish them as I do.

karol

Amen KD. Makes good sense to me.
The truth is that perception is reality in many cases. If you dress like a bum you are treated as such. Going to a job interview dressed like a bum will result in you going back to the unemployment office to find another listing. If you go into a restaurant they will place you in an out of the way location so that people cannot see you as they enter. When you walk along the street people avoid you. That is just the way it is. It has nothing to do with a caste distinction but rather a case of showing what you are like inside. If you think what you wear looks good---and it doesn't--- then something is wrong with your perception not society's. That is why we has such popular shows as What not to Wear and the like. :p Fashion disasters that someone has averted make sense to me. ;)
It is also a matter of respect. If you go to an occassion dressed inappropriately then it reflects bad on you and your host. The sad fact is that many do not understand such things today because dressing poorly has become a standard to achieve. :eek: I can't understand it.

Regards to all,

J

Richard

Familiar Face
dressing down

i work in a courtroom all day. You would be amazed at what people show up in to court. T-Shirts with big marijuana leaf prints. Shorts. tank tops and lots of tattoos. And of course, 1/2 have to be instructed to remove their baseball caps by the deputy.

colorblind

New in Town
bald

I believe that people shaved thier heads and wore wigs in olden days because of lice.

I know of a judge in Texas that has two sportcoats that he makes defendants wear if they show up without one. One is 36 short and the other is a 50 long. Both in a garish color. Sometimes he makes the little guys wear the big one,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner