Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ball caps; do we digress?

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
I remember as a very small kid in the mid 50's being given a "beany," essentially a billess ball cap. Didn't much care for it, so seldom wore it. In recent years I am reminded daily of that old felt beany by the dozens, if not hundreds of disgusting ball caps I see everyday.

I live in a rural town on the fringes of the San Francisco bay area. There are still quite a few ranches in the hills surrounding the valley town, along with a few notable vineyards. Agriculture remains a big part of town culture and it appears, at least to my eyes, that the ball cap is an essential part of daily dress, as seemingly everyone wears one.

Now aside from being all but worthless for protection from the sun and elements, there seems to be an ongoing, if unofficial competition to see who can wear the rattiest, filthious ball cap in public. From school age kids through the elderly, all seem to be keen on displaying caps riddled with holes, stained by all manner of organic and inorganic matter, faded and fraid.

OK, I admit that any and all have a right to wear what ever they choose, when ever they wish. This is cool, providing they choose to wear these horrid creations working ranches, delivering goods, walking the streets and rebuilding transmission. Even wearing them in the local grocery store or MacDonalds is tolerable, however, when folks shamelessly wear them into the few finer (relatively speaking, of course) restaurants in the region, not even removing it while seated and EATING......I really have to ask, have we digressed?

And don't even get me started on COWBOY HATS!!!

I have already gripped about this before but I might as well do some more. LOL
I hate baseball caps. I never wear them. They defeat the purpose for which a hat was developed---sun protection. Their purpose was singular when they were invented---baseball player headwear. That is fine. They work there but anyone who has ever gone out in the sun with a baseball cap knows what happens to your ears---ouch.
As for the Cretans that eat with it on in the restaurant---I am with you. Nothing makes me more disgusted than to see a guy downing a steak like a wild animal with a ball cap on. Come to think of it eating like an animal may be related. ;)
The ball cap is an omnipresent headwear though. People wear them everywhere and don't remove them until you put them in the pine box! The kids are now taking to wearing them with the tags still on too. Gee, it reminds me of a character from the old Hee Haw TV show (Minnie Pearl). :eek:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Yes we digess. :confused:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Actually it's the backward baseball cap that seems useless. It would the bill is there to shade your eyes. If it is backwards you might as well wear the beanie "filmnoirphotos" was talking about. It only makes slightly more sense than the upside-down and backwards visors that I have seen on "stylish" people.

People like us are especially going to thrown off by the ratty caps. Willie Nelson used to wear a suit at the Grand Old Opry. George Carlin used to wear a suit while doing his "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" routine on the talk shows. Boys would wear a suit to take their date to a Rolling Stones concert in the mid-sixties. I understand dressing casually. I enjoy it, but it has gone too far in my opinion. I think people should dress up to go to a restaurant or on a date. I don't people should look like beach combers at work or even wear caps inside.

However, each generation wants to look different and be seperate from their parents'. Think about the untucked shirts, dungarees and other "ridiculous" clothes the teenagers wore in the 1940's. Every new generation looks foolish, their music is noise and they have no respect. It has been that way for many generations before us and will continue, I'm sure.

Feraud

Bartender
Rebellion happens I guess. I do not mind individuality in people. But YES, the ever-present baseball cap has taken quite a few steps down in current years. And the condition of some of the caps(and the wearer) is quite disgusting.

A couple of new trends I have seen in wearing the baseball cap is to have it turned a few degrees off center. This is ironic because there is a conversation with regards to a fedora slipping to one side! See: http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1565

A second, and really horrid trend is the 'bigger size worn up to the eyebrows look'. I totally understanding wanting to look cool, different, tough, smart or attractive. But to look like a clown?? Now that is new to me!

BTW, Do NOT get me started on those who wear their baseball caps in 'better' restaurants. And people constantly on the cell phone in public?....Give me a break!!

Originally posted by Feraud
A couple of new trends I have seen in wearing the baseball cap is to have it turned a few degrees off center. This is ironic because there is a conversation with regards to a fedora slipping to one side! See: http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1565

Hey, hey! a tilted fedora is not the same as a crooked baseball cap. LOL A tilt is jaunty. Crooked, backwards or upside down is just stupid. They look like someone who escaped from an institution who is not used to wearing clothes without the tight fitting arms. LOL :confused: Geez. Sappy looking.
I am sure the new generation of degenerates will straighten out. They all have in the long run. ;)

Regards to all,

J

up196

A-List Customer
I was in the bank the other day, and the uniformed guard was wearing a baseball cap. I've always thought that a baseballl cap worn with any sort of police/security uniform looked somewhat unprofessional, but in his case, he might have looked better if he didn't have the tops of his EARS tucked up inside the cap!

Feraud

Bartender
Originally posted by jamespowers
I am sure the new generation of degenerates will straighten out. They all have in the long run. ;)

Re
This is what scares me, the adults who continue dress like this! Most kids grow out of "phases". How are you supposed to respect an adult that dresses with a goofy baseball cap, sloppy shirt and pants hanging down around his butt!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
There is one baseball cap that is acceptable for people like us, I feel.

A vintage, reproduction ball cap. These were, of course, fitted caps. I have one made of flanel and leather in the 1940s style as worn by the Rockford Peaches Women's Baseball team.

People always ask me, "Why does your ball cap look so...different?"

Because it's QUALITY and not stiff and rigid like the licensed caps of today.

Mike

P.S. - www.ballcap.com - pick your team and your decade!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Unprofessional looking baseball caps!

Originally posted by up196
I was in the bank the other day, and the uniformed guard was wearing a baseball cap. I've always thought that a baseballl cap worn with any sort of police/security uniform looked somewhat unprofessional, but in his case, he might have looked better if he didn't have the tops of his EARS tucked up inside the cap!

Too true! I always thought the 1930's NYC type uniform, with the white shirt, black tie, full jacket, sam browne cross belt, and the cap with a cut down bill, looked very sharp, and professional!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
http://www.ballcap.com/

They make replica ballcaps, and Paddy, they make repro Air Force team ballcaps from the 40's.

Horshide sweatbands and alll original materials. they made the caps in League of Their Own.

I usually go for the Brooklyn Dodgers, though next time I might just get a plain wool red cap with nothing on it. 40's style with the low crown.

I usually only pull out a cap when I am really bummin' around or have a head under a hood... though alot of times even then I have a fedora on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy