Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ban this show now!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It began with Antiques Roadshow, many years ago...
Me and my Dad were in the antiques and bric-a-bric game and we noticed it
back then. It's not just antiques and collectibles, either- everybody's a Chef
nowadays, too. That's TV for you. Ebay has definitely made its mark on the business, too.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
The big effect of ebay has been to create a market where every seller thinks whatever tey have is worth a fortune and should sell for the maximum, and every buyer thinks they're entitled to pick everything up for peanuts. Well... I exaggerate slightly, perhaps.... but not by much! lol

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Edward said:
The big effect of ebay has been to create a market where every seller thinks whatever tey have is worth a fortune and should sell for the maximum, and every buyer thinks they're entitled to pick everything up for peanuts. Well... I exaggerate slightly, perhaps.... but not by much! lol
Well I've picked up soooo many great barely used or NOS jackets for a fraction of their new price. I've also liquidated alot of great well-cared for jackets to other lucky ebayers. I can't criticize ebay - they're just a marketplace for bringing together buyers and sellers.

There are, however, alot of bad sellers and scams always going on. :rage:

Edward

Bartender
captaincaveman1 said:
Well I've picked up soooo many great barely used or NOS jackets for a fraction of their new price. I've also liquidated alot of great well-cared for jackets to other lucky ebayers. I can't criticize ebay - they're just a marketplace for bringing together buyers and sellers.

Oh, absolutely, so have I - that's why I do say I'm generalising terribly. I've had some incredible bargains, even recently. And yeah, you certainly can't condemn eBay for being successful (even if I do have issues with their efforts to reposition away from the original 'fleamarket' concept towardss somethig closer to an online mall... but that's another matter altogether). It's just rather frustrating when you find yourself always weding out the same fifties suit with trousers so moth eaten as to be unwearable that somebody clearly thinks is worth GBP100.... that (and others like it) has been on there for months.... so much so that I now find myself recognising the listing without having to go into it only to discover it's the same one I rejected weeks ago.... lol

There are, however, alot of bad sellers and scams always going on. :rage:

Yeah, I've been ripped off a couple of times myself. Usually I got the money back ,but there was once the seller managed - with very helpful, friendly and plausible emails, to keep me hanging until just too late to file a complaint (as I discovered it was only after submitting - at least eBay are clearer about that now). eBay advised me to complain to my local police... :rolleyes: Generally I find eBay very helpful, but if you don't fit into their boxes in any way, you're lost. Certainly, though, you can't blame eBay for dodgy sellers, nor can you blame them for people who lose all sense of proportion and bid an item they could find anywhere for pennies up to a stupid level (don't we all wish for bidders like that when we're selling... long as they pony up in the end!) lol

Edward said:

If all the people who think they're sitting on a gold mine actually were, gold would be worthless!

Subvet642

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
Did any aussies see COLLECTORS
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/
last night, they were assessing a B3 jacket, have they no shame, it's bad enough they've destroyed the garage sale market for damn near everything from crockery to Tiki art, now they have to turn every backyard bozo into a leather jacket expert.THEY MUST BE STOPPED

I don't think I understand; how have they destroyed the "garage sale market"? Unless they have been misleading people, I can't see how they've done anything wrong. [huh]

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Perhaps shows like this mean that at least people realise what they have is worth something, and don't just bin it? Thereby increasing the amount of vintage goods available to us?

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
You'll hate this then

51AMQWF4B5L._SS500_.jpg

lol lol lol lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Methuselah said:
Perhaps shows like this mean that at least people realise what they have is worth something, and don't just bin it? Thereby increasing the amount of vintage goods available to us?
True, but you're looking at it from a consumer's angle while the OP's gripe is that of a dealer's.;)

dr greg

One Too Many
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Subvet642 said:
I don't think I understand; how have they destroyed the "garage sale market"? Unless they have been misleading people, I can't see how they've done anything wrong. [huh]
What I mean is that now everyone thinks that every piece of chipped broken crap in their shed is worth a fortune to 'collectors' so little old ladies want $30 for a rusty spatula, or a torn mouldy batman comic. The old structure where casual market dealers, say a retired couple with no super on a pension, could pick up old vases and whatever for $2 and sell them for 5 is being destroyed by this rah rah presentation of antiques as if everyone has unrealised treasures and obsessive 'collectors' will pay a fortune for them. The fact that their stuff is just rubbish or only worth a couple of bucks doesn't matter, everyone is scared that they will, as I've actually heard said "give away the crown jewels for 50c"...so everyone selling old stuff has become increasingly paranoid and suspicious.
That show had a segment about two years ago featuring vintage luggage..beautiful stuff, real 30's croc leather etc...within 6 months every 2nd jean shop or surf emporium had a few old suitcases artfully stacked in the window but not for sale, and op-shops and garage sales all of a sudden were demanding (and I'm serious here) up to $100 for beaten up old cases with holes on them, stuff you could get for $5 not long ago is now sitting in shops for $200...but your average flea market buyer still wants them at the old price....and the whole system has been wrecked to no-one's real advantage. It's the creation of false expectations and inflation with no real demand behind it, and the 'market' in the strict economic sense is badly distorted.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I'm sure anything that is featured in the media will have a brief spike of interest associated with it. Don't buy then, wait it out. I think that TV shows briefly bump up the price in the same way that vintage brollies sell for more on Ebay when it's raining.

After a while, if sellers realise their merch isn't selling they lower the price. And if people buy at the higher price, then that's what it's worth.

EDIT: Additionally, the more vintage stuff is in vogue, the less people point and laugh. I need all the breaks I can get being a ginger!!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've watched the show a couple of times Dr Greg, doesn't worry me too, too much. These sorts of shows and eBay and whathaveyou have obviously driven the prices up of some things but in other ways they're brought more bits and bobs out into the market, so it's swings and roundabouts in some ways.

My favourites are those dodgy types who try to pass things off as something it patently isn't. The best one I have even seen and which still makes me hoot with laughter when I remember it was on eBay where a chap was trying to flog a wooden chair leg as the joystick from a Sopwith Camel! Classic lol

dr greg

One Too Many
TV reality

Well my original post was tongue in cheek, but as others have noted, these types of shows have had an effect on the antiques market generally for quite a while, and besides they are all enthusiastic and mean well, and do know what they are talking about, so what can you do!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
On The Positive Side

I'm from an era where great vintage items were thrown into land fill and buried forever - vintage radios, hats, suits, shoes even furniture. Many of them like new, but so unfashionable in the 1960's and 70's.

At least these programs are responisble for people realising that old things are good. Excellence in design is something that transcends an era...

Talbot

One Too Many
Dr Greg, have you run a garage sale lately? I think the situation has been code brown for a long while now.

My last garage sale was 10 years back. I had dealers in my front yard at oh dark thirty. The front gate was closed, they opened it. They were literally running down the drive, "Got any medals?", "Got any clocks?, "Got any old nintendo?", "Got any swords?", etc. A quick check to see if I had any treasure they could profit on, and out they went to the next garage sale.

These folks were saying hi as they passed each other in the driveway. Didn't see any more of them after about 08:00 - just 'normal' people looking for stuff for themselves.

The first bunch left bad taste in the mouth I can tell you.

Talbot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS